❓ QUESTION i4 or v6

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
so after watching more interviews i'm back on the fence about the i4 ... It was said the i4 has a Aluminum subframe vs a steel one for the v6 . also i heard they lightened up the i4 trans .. SO with the weight loss of the i4 and frame going to put it enough lighter to make up the power to weight ratio of the v6 6 spd . and will it balance the car closer to the 50 /50 ?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Base Edition i4, including the aluminium rear subframe, is 1405kg. The First Edition V6 fully loaded is 1458kg. So i4 is 256bhp/tonne and V6 is 274bhp/tonne.

The front/rear weight distribution will be a fraction of a percent different. You might notice the difference between the C of G, as the i4 sits lower and has the turbo at the bottom, compared to the V6 being taller with the supercharger on top. But I suspect Lotus will have taken this into account with engine mounts and suspension settings to equalise the handling.

Honeywell

Reaction score
The i4 has two more gears and will switch gear much faster so I expect it will lap just as quickly as the V6.

Bhp is more relevant to top speed than acceleration and the standard variant of the AMG M139 produces 354 lb-ft between 4,750 and 5,000 rpm. The redline 7,200 revs. The Toyota V6 produces 310 lb-ft and has a lower redline.

So the i4 has more than 10% extra torque and shuffles that more quickly between 8 gears rather than 6.

Its also going to be a relatively simple remapping exercise when out of warranty to go North of 400bhp as it is in the AMG 45S. Whereas the V6 gearbox is close to its limit already.

So the i4 is lighter, revs higher, has more torque, more scope for power upgrades and two more gears. What's not to like?

I do like a manual gearbox but if I am honest when I get in a car with this level of performance I am happy for my attention to be solely focussed on braking, accelerating and steering. I lack spare capacity at the sort of performance levels these cars have.

Last edited:

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The i4 has two more gears and will switch gear much faster so I expect it will lap just as quickly as the V6.

Bhp is more relevant to top speed than acceleration and the standard variant of the AMG M139 produces 354 lb-ft between 4,750 and 5,000 rpm. The redline 7,200 revs. The Toyota V6 produces 310 lb-ft and has a lower redline.

So the i4 has more than 10% extra torque and shuffles that more quickly between 8 gears rather than 6.

Its also going to be a relatively simple remapping exercise when out of warranty to go North of 400bhp as it is in the AMG 45S. Whereas the V6 gearbox is close to its limit already.

So the i4 is lighter, revs higher, has more torque, more scope for power upgrades and two more gears. What's not to like?

I do like a manual gearbox but if I am honest when I get in a car with this level of performance I am happy for my attention to be solely focussed on braking, accelerating and steering. I lack spare capacity at the sort of performance levels these cars have.
You are right, and that all sounds good, but there is one tiny problem: the A45S sounds like crap (not even close to the old W176 A45). If that is going to be expected from the i4 Emira as well, than I won‘t think for a second about getting the fourpot in this kind of car.

Honeywell

Reaction score
You are right, and that all sounds good, but there is one tiny problem: the A45S sounds like crap (not even close to the old W176 A45). If that is going to be expected from the i4 Emira as well, than I won‘t think for a second about getting the fourpot in this kind of car.
Well we will have to wait and see how Lotus tune the exhaust. The Toyota GR Yaris is a turbo 3 with a quiet exhaust but it sounds actually quit's good from the drivers seat through synthetic means. The M139 is a notably free revving engine for a turbo four. No real reason why it can't be made to sound good. Better than a Porsche 718 flat four anyway.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The "which is better" argument has raged back and forth on the Lotus and Emira Facebook groups and other forums. From my point of view it's of limited benefit. Are we talking about on-paper 0-60 or torque, real world drag race or on track (and which track?). Or how much can you tune each one, or how easily. It's fine to discuss the facts and ideas and opinions. But aside from the pub bragging rights on the numbers, it's a largely subjective and personal thing.

I don't want to tune it, I want a manual, I like the V6 sound, emissions and taxes aren't a big factor for me, and I don't want to wait an extra 6-12 months for an i4. But I respect that other people have different criteria and the i4 will suit lots of people.

The great thing is we have a choice, and both V6 SC and i4 turbo have prior history in Lotus cars.

I can guarantee I'll have done hundreds more laps and be miles ahead of any i4, by at least 6 months ;)

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The "which is better" argument has raged back and forth on the Lotus and Emira Facebook groups and other forums. From my point of view it's of limited benefit. Are we talking about on-paper 0-60 or torque, real world drag race or on track (and which track?). Or how much can you tune each one, or how easily. It's fine to discuss the facts and ideas and opinions. But aside from the pub bragging rights on the numbers, it's a largely subjective and personal thing.

I don't want to tune it, I want a manual, I like the V6 sound, emissions and taxes aren't a big factor for me, and I don't want to wait an extra 6-12 months for an i4. But I respect that other people have different criteria and the i4 will suit lots of people.

The great thing is we have a choice, and both V6 SC and i4 turbo have prior history in Lotus cars.

I can guarantee I'll have done hundreds more laps and be miles ahead of any i4, by at least 6 months ;)
Agreed and you will probably be a couple of months ahead of my V6 manual as well! :p

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
A decent auto gearbox makes such a difference in regards to performance.
I dont think you will notice much in it between auto i4 and manual v6
Remember taking my old 335i manual in for service and getting a 325i cab with auto in exchange. Almost identical in real world driving! Very disappointing 🤣

OP
D

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
thing that really puts me thinking is i know i will not be getting a v6 fe. I'm too far down the list i do have a chance at a i4 fe and if it does end up a lighter car with better weight balance the i4 it is. or a wait til 2023 and get a custom paint emira

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
thing that really puts me thinking is i know i will not be getting a v6 fe. I'm too far down the list i do have a chance at a i4 fe and if it does end up a lighter car with better weight balance the i4 it is. or a wait til 2023 and get a custom paint emira
An i4 in 2022? Very unlikely I'm afraid.

prestonc

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Let me know when you book that first track day, I'll be right there with you!

OP
D

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
hmm thought the shot for u.s i4 fe was dec 2022 guess we will know in January maybe dealer allocations suppose to be then

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Unless Lotus have the AMG engines in stock then there must be delays. Lead times for AMG A45s models from Mercedes have been pushed out. The computer chip crisis isn't resolved and there's no expectation of it being resolved before 2023 due to a massive backlog in the computer industry when the factories are built and online producing chips.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech

Latest posts