I know this will be somewhat controversial.........

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I feel that the main reason someone were to purchase a sports car is not for basic transportation from a to b, because that can be done in far less expensive, more practical cars.
They buy sports cars for the simple fact that they love driving.
It's the journey rather than the destination that is most important.
Anyway, that being said most sports cars, especially in the case of the Emira, are going to be second or third cars.
So my question is, if getting a sports car is for pure driving enjoyment and not utilitarian transportation, why in the world would anyone buy an Emira with an automatic transmission, makes no sense to me.
Isn't the whole point of a sports car driver involvement, driver engagement, driver control of the car, and most importantly driver fun.
An automatic takes away so much of those attributes, making the driving much less of an event, and isn't that why we buy sports car...for the driving event it provides?
Manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo bird, you can't get them in Lamborghinis or Ferraris, McLaren's, Audis and others.
When Porsche took away the manual transmission in the 2014 GT3 there was outrage.
I'm sorry, but I just think buying a sports car without 3 pedals makes no sense at all, unless the person is physically handicapped, or has to commute in ungodly traffic on a daily basis, otherwise get the manual.
I kinda wish Lotus would have made the last of their internal combustion sports cars strictly with a manual transmission for the genuine purists, those who love to drive without a destination in mind.
Sad to think that in probably 10 years there will be no manuals produced, let alone any cars with great sounds from an internal combustion engine and all we will be left with is electric cars that hum around the streets driving us autonomously without any driver involvement at all.😢
This video kind of summarizes my point.

Well, the thread title certainly checks out.
...or has to commute in ungodly traffic on a daily basis
Yup. So your position is "you should only ever get a manual, unless you need or want an automatic". Got it. :)
I kinda wish Lotus would have made the last of their internal combustion sports cars strictly with a manual transmission for the genuine purists
Don't take this the wrong way, but... give me a break, lol :) ... I doubt there would be funding for a last hurrah car if it wasn't designed for markets where a smaller displacement engine and DCT were required/expected.

It's all well and good to celebrate the man-machine connection, driving involvement, etc, that comes with a manual, but I'd say it is a bridge too far to wish that others should actively be deprived of the chance to enjoy a fine ICE sports car. Relax, eh. :cool:

From my personal point of view I agree with your comments about manual gearboxes. However Lotus need to make cars to suit all types of driver to survive, the world is changing fast and most new sports car drivers just want DCT or similar and other manufacturers are going down this route. From 2030 and electric cars there will be no gearboxes!!
So I'm actually rather glad that Lotus are making a manual, the Emira is not just the last ICE car they will build it is the last manual!!!

Yup. So your position is "you should only ever get a manual, unless you need or want an automatic". Got it. :)

Don't take this the wrong way, but... give me a break, lol :) ... I doubt there would be funding for a last hurrah car if it wasn't designed for markets where a smaller displacement engine and DCT were required/expected.

It's all well and good to celebrate the man-machine connection, driving involvement, etc, that comes with a manual, but I'd say it is a bridge too far to wish that others should actively be deprived of the chance to enjoy a fine ICE sports car. Relax, eh. :cool:
Totally agree each to their own and the reality is modern day traffic lends itself to an automatic for everyday use. For those of us who aren’t just using it as a track toy / occasional car an automatic makes more sense and having driven an Evora with the IPS box can concur it is excellent

Remember what Lotus slogan is "For The Drivers."
What's interesting is if you read any reviews when they do sports car comparisons with Lotus and other sports cars, where the other cars are automatics undoubtedly the reviewer May set a faster lap time with the automatics, but when they comment on which is the most fun which is the most entertaining car to drive, most of the time they choose the manual transmission.
Wonder why.
Obviously Lotus had to make the Emira with a manual and an automatic to justify the development costs etc and to appeal to a broader audience.

Remember what Lotus slogan is "For The Drivers."
What's interesting is if you read any reviews when they do sports car comparisons with Lotus and other sports cars, where the other cars are automatics undoubtedly the reviewer May set a faster lap time with the automatics, but when they comment on which is the most fun which is the most entertaining car to drive, most of the time they choose the manual transmission.
Wonder why.
Obviously Lotus had to make the Emira with a manual and an automatic to justify the development costs etc and to appeal to a broader audience.
What’s the transmission on a Formula 1 or Le Mans/endurance car ? I would love a manual if it was an occasional car but not for touring or more regular use on UK roads

In fact whenever auto journalists are reviewing a larger group of cars, whenever they get into a car with a manual, they undoubtedly comment "well isn't this great, isn't this a breath of fresh air...a proper manual transmission."
Most real die-hard drivers prefer a proper manual transmission.
That's just the way it is.
Unfortunately, these days most of the younger generation will not even learn how to drive a manual transmission.
Sad, as they don't really know what they're missing.

I would love a manual transmission. I JUST CANT spend fifteen thousand pounds on that love.
Nor can I. That's why I've sold two of my children, cut the dog out of my will, lied to my wife about the price, and am standing on street corners at night.

Hopefully some of those will help financially, some may not!

With respect, I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what motoring journalists think is "proper", and think holding up "For the drivers" as some sort of mantra in support of "manual or GTFO" is a bit flimsy - there is a lot more to good/fun driving than rowing gears.

I understand the point you are making, and don't at all disagree that certain manuals feel great to drive, but I guess expressions of a position that infer one preference is more correct than another tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth... I mean, do you get similarly bent out of shape about peoples' choice of pizza toppings? (ok, fine, we can all agree that pineapple has no business being on a pizza, but besides that... :D)

With respect, I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what motoring journalists think is "proper", and think holding up "For the drivers" as some sort of mantra in support of "manual or GTFO" is a bit flimsy - there is a lot more to good/fun driving than rowing gears.

I understand the point you are making, but I guess expressions of a position that infer one _preference_ is more correct than another tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth... I mean, do you get similarly bent out of shape about peoples' choice of pizza toppings? (ok, fine, we can all agree that pineapple has no business being on a pizza, but _besides_ that... :D)
What about turn ups on jeans? Don't get me started!
Even though, they do seem to be a dog training necessity.

It's all good. 😜😉🤪
I didn't even know Lotus was charging more for the Toyota V6 manual over the Mercedes automatic for pot.
That isn't what my dealer told me maybe I better give him a call.

I feel that the main reason someone were to purchase a sports car is not for basic transportation from a to b, because that can be done in far less expensive, more practical cars.
They buy sports cars for the simple fact that they love driving.
It's the journey rather than the destination that is most important.
Anyway, that being said most sports cars, especially in the case of the Emira, are going to be second or third cars.
So my question is, if getting a sports car is for pure driving enjoyment and not utilitarian transportation, why in the world would anyone buy an Emira with an automatic transmission, makes no sense to me.
Isn't the whole point of a sports car driver involvement, driver engagement, driver control of the car, and most importantly driver fun.
An automatic takes away so much of those attributes, making the driving much less of an event, and isn't that why we buy sports car...for the driving event it provides?
Manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo bird, you can't get them in Lamborghinis or Ferraris, McLaren's, Audis and others.
When Porsche took away the manual transmission in the 2014 GT3 there was outrage.
I'm sorry, but I just think buying a sports car without 3 pedals makes no sense at all, unless the person is physically handicapped, or has to commute in ungodly traffic on a daily basis, otherwise get the manual.
I kinda wish Lotus would have made the last of their internal combustion sports cars strictly with a manual transmission for the genuine purists, those who love to drive without a destination in mind.
Sad to think that in probably 10 years there will be no manuals produced, let alone any cars with great sounds from an internal combustion engine and all we will be left with is electric cars that hum around the streets driving us autonomously without any driver involvement at all.😢
This video kind of summarizes my point.
Definitely controversial to say the least.
I am not physically handicapped (maybe mentally yes).
Why would I be deprived from choosing Auto it that's what I enjoy?
Even if I agree with you, which I do, that manual is more engaging, where I think you go a little too far is in considering that those that choose Auto, for whatever reason they want , should have never have this option with the Emira.
I am 54 and had all kind of cars, both manual and Auto, and enjoyed driving all of them at different stages in my life.
I like seen the comments from the journalists, for pure entertainment and info, but I think anybody should be able to buy for their own decision, and whichever it is, enjoy their purchase, and not being categorize like an idiot only because it doesn't match the Guru´s opinion.
IMHO, it is not healthy to create polemic in this Forum about what Lotus should do in a direction that deprives customers from accessing the car they want.
Where I would agree is in posting whatever option one likes more than other, not generating discussions that can be taken as an offense in any direction.
Enjoy you Manual and let other people enjoy their Auto!
Cheers!

I'm sorry, but I just think buying a sports car without 3 pedals makes no sense at all, unless the person is physically handicapped, or has to commute in ungodly traffic on a daily basis,

or they already have 8 manual cars, or they want to share it with a significant other who doesn't drive a manual, or they themselves can't drive a manual, or if they want launch control for the drag strip, or if they prefer high speed driving on the autobahn, or they like keeping their hands on the wheel with a paddle shifter, or...

This will be my first manual sports car and I'd get the auto if it was a getrag dct or equivalent but it's a very antiquated unit, especially for a car that isn't even on sale yet. For that reason I bought a manual daily and will drive it until the Emira comes for practice.

Manuals are very much for the emotion of physically be in control of the whole car, will all four limbs being involved in getting it round a bend….. but in real life, excellent DCTs are more effective and keeps your hands on the wheel more and this allow more focus on the road/track - prob why most racing cars are paddle shifts or sequential shifts. Reliable 400bhp from a 2.0T, that’s witch craft! Probably best that I focus on the windy road ahead without having to worry about heel toe in that case 😂 . The best would be a sequential manual - I hope someone brings out a kit for the Emira!

Personally, I love the idea of an AMG engined Lotus more than a Toyota engined one, as I want the most advanced ICE technology for my last forever ICE car - emissions and efficiencies will keep it future proof I hope. As it only comes with DCT and it saves me £15k too - win win in my books.

Back