• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I’ve had enough, I’m selling it

koorby

Reaction score
Enough is enough, I’m selling the car after just 2,500 miles. After being away on a trip I went for a drive last week and the aircon failed (again) but this time the fans didn’t even turn on.

I’ve dropped the car around to the dealer to fix it and on the way there was torrential rain so having the windows slightly open to let air in wasn’t ideal, but to make matters worse the wipers only moved at glacial speed so I had almost zero visibility.

Added to these woes are:
- ABS/ESC decides to fail often
- Hold function ditto
- The engine gets covered in water when opening the boot in the rain
- Apple CarPlay doesn’t connect each time
- The seats are horrible
- The KEF audio system is a joke
- The brakes are very grabby and accelerator too sensitive

To make matters worse my loom needs replacing but Lotus HQ haven’t got one yet, and I’ve had two recall notice letters (wipers, airbag) but those parts aren’t in yet either.

Anyway I’m hoping the dealer can sort these issues out and then I’ll put it on the market. Somebody will pick up cheap V6FE Auto I’m sure.

Meantime I’ve bought a demo 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 with 3500 miles on it for £10k off list price and in which funnily enough, everything just works.

I love the Emira’s looks and the engine and exhaust note are sublime but I just don’t have any confidence in the car anymore. I wanted to love it, I really did.

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Get some Soul OAPs, a particle filter delete, and some Sprint Air Filters for the GTS and your experience with the sound will have tripled! Enjoy the Porsche!

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Enough is enough, I’m selling the car after just 2,500 miles. After being away on a trip I went for a drive last week and the aircon failed (again) but this time the fans didn’t even turn on.

I’ve dropped the car around to the dealer to fix it and on the way there was torrential rain so having the windows slightly open to let air in wasn’t ideal, but to make matters worse the wipers only moved at glacial speed so I had almost zero visibility.

Added to these woes are:
- Hold function ditto
- The seats are horrible

To make matters worse my loom needs replacing but Lotus HQ haven’t got one yet, and I’ve had two recall notice letters (wipers, airbag) but those parts aren’t in yet either.

Anyway I’m hoping the dealer can sort these issues out and then I’ll put it on the market. Somebody will pick up cheap V6FE Auto I’m sure.

Meantime I’ve bought a demo 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 with 3500 miles on it for £10k off list price and in which funnily enough, everything just works.

I love the Emira’s looks and the engine and exhaust note are sublime but I just don’t have any confidence in the car anymore. I wanted to love it, I really did.
Do you know when your car was built?

OP
K

koorby

Reaction score
April/May. Mine was the first auto delivered in the UK I believe.

paulb

Reaction score

Added to these woes are:
- Hold function ditto
- The seats are horrible

Yikes - I don't blame you - that's a ridiculous amount of problems for a new car. Mine was meant to be delivered last week and didn't arrive (failed power steering pump) - I've asked for my money back but so far several days later no proactive contact from Lotus.

Citizen

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
sorry to hear that, it is incredible like differences between theoretically same car, mine from march and 5600km later and no issue fount, not even a bug on software like limp mode or hill assistant, etc

sorry again, but i undestand you in your situation 100%

Crown

Reaction score
I’ve bailed out after the 2 years plus wait !
I’ve had 3 emails over the time saying my i4 is 6 months away !

I’m reading too many problems owners are having !

Plus they did not honour the price I was signed up for ( deposit day after reveal ) !

Underwhelmed about the i4 power as it’s not the a45 bhp. !

I had sold my Porsche boxster way too early in hindsight!
I’ve now registered interest at my nearest Porsche dealer for the 2025 boxster EV
It won’t break , the roof comes off and it will be faster !

Shame I’ve owned other lotus cars , but not this time .

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve bailed out after the 2 years plus wait !
I’ve had 3 emails over the time saying my i4 is 6 months away !

I’m reading too many problems owners are having !

Plus they did not honour the price I was signed up for ( deposit day after reveal ) !

Underwhelmed about the i4 power as it’s not the a45 bhp. !

I had sold my Porsche boxster way too early in hindsight!
I’ve now registered interest at my nearest Porsche dealer for the 2025 boxster EV
It won’t break , the roof comes off and it will be faster !

Shame I’ve owned other lotus cars , but not this time .
Not sure the EV Boxster won’t break. Friend has a Tacan that the dealer has had more than he has…

moley44

Reaction score

Added to these woes are:
- Hold function ditto
- The seats are horrible

That's why I cancelled my deposit, spent the extra money and bought a 911. Week after week I continue to see horror stories on this forum and the problems are getting worse not better. Sad. I wanted to love it too!

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not sure the EV Boxster won’t break. Friend has a Tacan that the dealer has had more than he has…
My Taycan is 18 months old had several things wrong with it. Been to one dealer for alignment, came back with steering wheel off centre. Tried another dealer (due to crap comms with the one i bought it from) and they just called me to say the front subframe needs adjustment as they have run out of adjustment on the suspension. £2k please........and thats only if they don't find anything bent or broken in the process. Big job bumper off aircon condenser etc etc.. It will have been away a month by the time its done. Maybe this solves the mystery of 4 x knackered tyres with sidewall damage.

Porsche my arse. Last one i'll be having. How come the other dealer didn't spot that??
Bandits

spice

Reaction score

Added to these woes are:
- Hold function ditto
- The seats are horrible

I have a 4.0 Lt Boxster , if you want a cheap exhaust mod to improve the sound under 3k revs put these collars on the valve rods , keeps them open .
IMG_6758.jpeg

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Added to these woes are:
- Hold function ditto
- The seats are horrible

In Florida we have something called the "Lemon Law". From my understanding, if you have a new car with terrible problems (lemon), they have to give you a new car or full refund.

I wonder if anywhere else has similar rules or experience?

Last edited:

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
In Florida we have something called the "Lemon Law". From my understanding, if you have a new car with terrible problems (lemon), they have to give you give you a new car or full refund.

I wonder if anywhere else has similar rules or experience?
We have similar laws in Canada. Based on the excessive number of ongoing defects the Emira is experiencing, Lotus may in fact be hesitant to get Emiras imported to North America anytime soon. Not sure if other countries have similar laws as well?

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My 2020 Lincoln Aviator was "LemonLaw-ed" in New York State.

each state varies, ...but generally.... either the car is in the shop for 30 days total ( does not have to be continually but 30days total for multiple repairs) or for any repair /or if any repair that makes the car inoperable ( or un-useable like a broken Air conditioner ) that takes 3 or more tries/attempts and still fails,...... you also qualify.

But the BEST route is to get an attorney who specializes in Lemon Law cases.

YOU the owner do NOT pay for the Lawyer. The manufacturer has to pay all attorney fees which are generally capped at around $750-$1000 per car.

You get back 100% of what you paid for the car plus any taxes paid refunded and there is no depreciation or wear and tear calculated to reduce that amount.

but again ,.....each state in USA varies somewhat and each state will have different versions of what I wrote here.

NO need no take any depreciation by selling it used or dumping it on someone else if you qualify, the manufacturer has to refund 100% what you paid, even if the car has 7,000 miles on the odometer.

Google and find a lemon law attorney in your state, .....you do NOT pay their fee.

My 2020 Lincoln Aviator that was lemon law'ed had around 4,000 miles and we got 100% back refunded because our Aviator was in the shop for total of 30 days over the first 10 months of ownership. Our Attorney fee was paid by Ford.

We took the refunded money and bought a replacement Lincoln Aviator and so far after 20,000 miles and 3 years of ownership the replacement Aviator has had exactly ZERO issues and ZERO repairs and ZERO defects. The replacement car we got has been flawless perfect so far.

Last edited:

EM12A LS

Reaction score

Added to these woes are:
- Hold function ditto
- The seats are horrible

Sorry to hear that my V6 Auto has been with Lotus for 5 weeks having the loom replaced, mine was also April delivery, and has had a myriad of issues, which I'm really hoping will be sorted when I get my car back.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Whats up with this loom? Picked my car up in June, the only fix I have needed (so far, only done 600miles) was software which fixed the A/C. What am I looking out for? The SOS system comes up with a fault now, so do I need to be concerned? Is that the start of something?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Whats up with this loom? Picked my car up in June, the only fix I have needed (so far, only done 600miles) was software which fixed the A/C. What am I looking out for? The SOS system comes up with a fault now, so do I need to be concerned? Is that the start of something?
The SOS system is likely the SOS battery being low (which is independent of the car battery). Alternatively, if you keep the car in a basement garage with poor mobile network reception, it might need to be put outside for while to clear a mobile network connectivity error.

I would suggest you drive your car more and it should charge up the SOS battery and sort itself out.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The SOS system is likely the SOS battery being low (which is independent of the car battery). Alternatively, if you keep the car in a basement garage with poor mobile network reception, it might need to be put outside for while to clear a mobile network connectivity error.

I would suggest you drive your car more and it should charge up the SOS battery and sort itself out.
Ah okay, good to know. I'll be doing a 300 mile drive next week so that should do the trick. Thanks

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Added to these woes are:
- Hold function ditto
- The seats are horrible

Sorry to hear this I guess it must be luck of the draw and I guess your car being so early hasn't helped.
Im a V6 Auto May build and I've had no issues whatsoever not even a light on the dash board, I've just had a recall for a software update and airbag teather replacement, not sure if I want to give to Lotus to update just incase it all goes wrong lol

On the other hand I had 718 GTS a while back and had a few issues with that which wound me up a treat, again luck of the draw I suppose.