• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

If the 400bhp V6 is not enough, which engine would be a good replacement?

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
How about a 5.0 litre V8 running on hydrogen? Toyota and Yamaha partner on hydrogen V8
Of course ,its size may mean it is physically too big to shoe horn into the engine bay, but one can only wish...
You dont need to go with magic engines. The Ford EcoBoost six-cylinder engine is one of the best V6 engines available today. The V6 3.5 liters delivers 669 horsepower and being used in the current Ford GT supercar.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm not very convinced by all the buzz around hydrogen powertrains TBH... unless they solved all the embrittlement and storage issues recently while I wasn't looking.

I predict at least one electric conversion will happen quickly (somebody with more dollars than sense), and maybe an LS3 or rotary conversion :)

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
You dont need to go with magic engines. The Ford EcoBoost six-cylinder engine is one of the best V6 engines available today. The V6 3.5 liters delivers 669 horsepower and being used in the current Ford GT supercar.
That is an amazing engine, one of my favorites.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The V6 in the new MC20 isn't half bad either...

Controversial opinion here but I reckon the Emira with just the i4 engine in both S and normal trim would have been the more 'Lotus' thing to do. Lighter, smaller, more powerful...plus the DCT as standard in the Emira.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Naturally aspirated 100%, I agree the 992 GT3 engine would be my choice. It's the same one they put in the GT4RS. That dropped into the Emira chassis would be my dream car.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In all seriousness, why do people want more than 400hp? I’ve never owned a car with so much power, and have still had a huge amount of fun driving them. There’s very few roads here in Australia that would justify massive straight line acceleration.

This however… https://www.greatoceanroadaustralia.org/

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
In all seriousness, why do people want more than 400hp? I’ve never owned a car with so much power, and have still had a huge amount of fun driving them. There’s very few roads here in Australia that would justify massive straight line acceleration.

The more the merrier my friend.
Today 400hp is nothing due to turbocharging.
I mean the AMG A45S little hatchback comes with 416hp.
I think 500hp naturally aspirated would be the sweet spot for the Emira.
It really needs a high revving screamer.
Look how Porsche butchered the base Caymans with the turbocharged flat 4.
Sounds exactly like a Subaru, when you're paying Porsche money.

Last edited:

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Personally I don't know why anyone would buy a base Boxster or Cayman these days with that emotionless turbocharged flat four, unless maybe you were deaf.
That way you wouldn't be missing the sweet sounding naturally aspirated Flat 6 singing behind your shoulder.
To me the sound of a sports car is very important, that's one of the reasons I chose a Veloster N over the better performing Civic Type-R.
After both test drives I simply had more fun in the N.

OP
Lankan

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

This is very true. I was wondering when someone would state this.

The RGB delivers 260hp with the aid of a 1.8 litre supercharged engine (or it would have done so when new), which is plenty, and, with 0-60mph achieved in 4 seconds, it is just right for road use. The key is its 935kg weight.

The use of hydrogen and alternative fuels to power engines interest me, and, if such fuels can be used without resorting to forced induction, coupled with a manual gearbox, then that would be absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

Arsalan

Reaction score
I am too bit disappointed with 400bhp in Emria. At the very least it needed to match the Evora GT numbers. Is that too much to ask?

daveparky84

Reaction score

People who say they need more than 400hp probably can’t drive lol - 400 is more than enough for the road. Beyond that becomes unusable at full noise on public roads. If you want more hp for the track then yes go for it but most of us will be using this pretty casually on our favourite roads on weekends.