How much will they jack up 2023 Base MSRP?

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
A VW Golf R will smoke the Emira off the line for under $40K. A Z06 will go 0-60 in an astounding 2.5sec for around $100K. I loved the idea of a $93K FE when i put down a deposit in October. But if my config comes in closer to $120K for a car whose acceleration I have to apologize for w a low rev limiter the blush starts to fall off the rose and i remember why i never gave serious consideration to an Evora. I so hope they can still produce this car at a price that wows me. They have me hooked - at the moment no other car pushes all the buttons for me. If that MSRP climbs I could get real fickle

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It’s already essentially a $100K car + tax, title, and license here in the US for an FE V6 with automatic. Base editions will be cheaper. They’ll raise MSRP a few thousands for the MY23 would be my guess.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The current price of a base i4 in the U.S. is just over $72,000, so If they simply add the inflation rate onto that, it will go up to about $78,000. Then you add destination charge, sales tax, license and registration. And don't forget to add insurance. With all of that, depending on your sales tax rate, you're looking at about an $85,000 car. That's a base i4 with no additional options. I'm guessing at a destination charge of $2,000. With current fuel prices though, it may be more than that.

A base V6 adjusted for inflation with those same expenses, would be about the price of the current FE; around $93,000.

Inflation is going to change the game for Lotus which is unfortunate. It's just bad luck for them on the timing of rolling out this car. The only saving grace if you can call it that, is everybody's cars are going to be going up in price too, so it won't just be Lotus. That's going to be hard on the new car market, and probably crank up the used car market to even crazier levels than they already are.

Last year we thought the pricing of the FE was pushing it on the high side. It's starting to look like it may wind up being the best deal of all the Emiras.

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
inflation in China is low so hopefully that will help them given a lot of their parts are from there. No idea how it all plays out across their full supply chain.l though. If they’re lucky they’ll be less affected than some others. Either way it’s unfortunate timing for them. Good luck lotus

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Alternatively they keep the headline sale price £59k in the UK, and make it poverty spec or increase the prices of the extras significantly to cover the inflation.
Alternatively they might have contracts in place for fixed price delivery for X years which could help. The Emira might become a low profit car to boost the interest in the EV range coming down the line?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
A VW Golf R will smoke the Emira off the line for under $40K. A Z06 will go 0-60 in an astounding 2.5sec for around $100K. I loved the idea of a $93K FE when i put down a deposit in October. But if my config comes in closer to $120K for a car whose acceleration I have to apologize for w a low rev limiter the blush starts to fall off the rose and i remember why i never gave serious consideration to an Evora. I so hope they can still produce this car at a price that wows me. They have me hooked - at the moment no other car pushes all the buttons for me. If that MSRP climbs I could get real fickle

You should save yourself the grief and just cancel your order if you are already doing mental drag races against a Golf R. Slower is slower. If you are seriously letting straight-line acceleration be a dominant consideration in your purchase, something that the Emira isn't particularly good at, it's going to gnaw at you regardless of what price you paid.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
'Oh wow.. look at your golf R - what an amazing looking car - it really stands out from the crowd - urgh, that Emira looks like a Eurobox, but remember, its .02 secs faster to the supermarket !!' :rolleyes:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, my MK7 GTI is tuned and lighter than a Golf R and an absolute blast around the track! To be completely honest, it felt faster than the Evora GT I drove (I mentioned this before too - likely due to the agressive torque curve from the turbo). It's also averages ~35MPG on roadtrips and was about a quarter of the price brand new. The reliable and reputable stage 1+ (93 octane) tune from Unitronic was only $600 and gained me nearly 100HP and 90TQ! You can barely get an intake for the Lotus 2GR set up for $600 and that will get you maybe 10HP. :ROFLMAO:

And that's why I'm keeping the GTI as my daily driver. It's an extremely fun and capeable daily, but the Lotus will be a totally different driving experience with the mid-engine RWD set up and the excitement that comes with driving an exotic sportscar. The GTI is cheap and easy to maintain and modify, so I won't cry if something happens at the track or complain when I need to change brakes. Golfs are everywhere though and the community is very young - I'm looking forward to something more mature and exotic.

That being said, I did struggle a bit justifying the Emira purchase. Its just a special car and the mid-engine RWD manual transmission combo checks all the boxes for me.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You should save yourself the grief and just cancel your order if you are already doing mental drag races against a Golf R. Slower is slower. If you are seriously letting straight-line acceleration be a dominant consideration in your purchase, something that the Emira isn't particularly good at, it's going to gnaw at you regardless of what price you paid.
Yup and anything 4wd is going to smoke anything RWD with similar to + 50bhp from a standing start

OP
B

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
FWIW, my MK7 GTI is tuned and lighter than a Golf R and an absolute blast around the track! To be completely honest, it felt faster than the Evora GT I drove (I mentioned this before too - likely due to the agressive torque curve from the turbo). It's also averages ~35MPG on roadtrips and was about a quarter of the price brand new. The reliable and reputable stage 1+ (93 octane) tune from Unitronic was only $600 and gained me nearly 100HP and 90TQ! You can barely get an intake for the Lotus 2GR set up for $600 and that will get you maybe 10HP. :ROFLMAO:

And that's why I'm keeping the GTI as my daily driver. It's an extremely fun and capeable daily, but the Lotus will be a totally different driving experience with the mid-engine RWD set up and the excitement that comes with driving an exotic sportscar. The GTI is cheap and easy to maintain and modify, so I won't cry if something happens at the track or complain when I need to change brakes. Golfs are everywhere though and the community is very young - I'm looking forward to something more mature and exotic.

That being said, I did struggle a bit justifying the Emira purchase. Its just a special car and the mid-engine RWD manual transmission combo checks all the boxes for me.
Me too in the $90ks - my fear is a 2023 Base V6 spec'd close FE - given inflation pressures and demand for Emira could push me over $120K (almost THREE golf Rs) It' would be hard for me to spend that kind of money on something slower than an ancient Evora

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Me too in the $90ks - my fear is a 2023 Base V6 spec'd close FE - given inflation pressures and demand for Emira could push me over $120K (almost THREE golf Rs) It' would be hard for me to spend that kind of money on something slower than an ancient Evora

You could get a couple Supras or Zs for that money too... Keep one for yourself and give one to a friend! 😉

Flashback

Reaction score
If you're so interested in straight line acceleration, the Emira isn't the car for you.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don't think you will see major increase until 2024 model year. Realistically nobody has even driven a non pre-production Emira. Also, the reason it has attracted so much attention was value for money, supercar looks for sports car price etc. ... can't see them sacrificing that until at least a full model year of production is completed.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
'Oh wow.. look at your golf R - what an amazing looking car - it really stands out from the crowd - urgh, that Emira looks like a Eurobox, but remember, its .02 secs faster to the supermarket !!' :rolleyes:
Note to automakers: make a good looking car and forget the performance since people will still flock to it. I do wonder how many people will wish for better performance once the newness of the Emira wears off.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don't think you will see major increase until 2024 model year. Realistically nobody has even driven a non pre-production Emira. Also, the reason it has attracted so much attention was value for money, supercar looks for sports car price etc. ... can't see them sacrificing that until at least a full model year of production is completed.
They could pull a Rivian and announce a 20% price hike due to inflation, piss off customers, and then backtrack.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They could pull a Rivian and announce a 20% price hike due to inflation, piss off customers, and then backtrack.
Imagine... A lotus sports car is a discretionary purchase and usually a 3rd car for most. It is very easy for people to walk away from that. My humble opinion is they go the C8 corvette route for pricing, keeps the car desirable and hold residuals. That's one reason people love Porsche.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Note to automakers: make a good looking car and forget the performance since people will still flock to it. I do wonder how many people will wish for better performance once the newness of the Emira wears off.
A good looking car has always grabbed the brass ring for sales. The original Mustang was nothing performance-wise; it was basically a Ford Falcon with a new body and interior. They sold like hot cakes. The first muscle cars weren't really muscle; they were mostly just passenger cars with sporty looking bodies. Because of the phenomenal sales success though, they quickly started adding power.

As a business move, making a great looking car is a great way to bring in revenue, even if it isn't the greatest performing car. There's a huge slice of the customer pie out there who are perfectly happy with great looks. They don't necessarily need or want the greatest performance, and are perfectly fine with performance that's just enough to be fun. The winning ticket is when you combine great looks with a great price. Look at it from a business standpoint. A great looking, reasonably performing car at a great price can be your bread-winner, which brings in the money to do other more performance-oriented specialty models.

It's not about forgetting performance, it's about balancing the investment in the model to reach that big slice of the pie, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.