• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Help me configure my Emira - Please!

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
After two years of waiting, I finally received an allocation of the "V2" V6 FE Emiras, so more color options, etc. I'm going to need to place my official and final configuration in the next couple weeks and I'm on the fence about a few things. Yes, I can be swayed! I go over my current configuration in this video and I'd love your input...whether you already have your Emira, or are still waiting like me.

Thanks in advance, Peter

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I see you are using the old configurator in your vid

heres the new one https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/configurator/emira/
So I'm a bit baffled by this. If I just go to the lotuscars website, I can navigate to the configurator that I used. They seem to both be active and available. Any idea why or what's going on? Can you tell me how to navigate to the one you listed above without having the direct link? Thanks in advance, Peter

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So I'm a bit baffled by this. If I just go to the lotuscars website, I can navigate to the configurator that I used. They seem to both be active and available. Any idea why or what's going on? Can you tell me how to navigate to the one you listed above without having the direct link? Thanks in advance, Peter
Apparently it’s a browser cache thing but I haven’t bothered trying and just using that link out of laziness :).

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
honestly not sure, tho my bet is that its in development still so its not added to the main website yet. I found it thru google searching and it came up as one of the links

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From someone who originally went for yellow and switched to nimbus gray, considered tour vs sports for a long time, and debated black pack with friends:

- I went for Nimbus gray because it “sculpts” the car much better,you really see all the curves and vents. It also has a nice discrete two tone where in sunlight a champagne highlight comes out. I also thought that yellow was “trying a little to hard” to get attention, whereas with the nimbus it has a slight understatement to it. It still turns heads everywhere and gets lots of thumbs up.
- I think what is special about this car is the hard core, for the drivers, no apologies drivers car. For that reason, I went all the way: manual, sports, cup2. You sit is in and it is hard all the way. It doesn’t get in the way of daily driving it. It’s not hard like some other cars where your teeth are rattling, even on cobble stone streets it’s ok. I also think you get more feedback into the steering wheel from the road. The downside with cup2, is that there are cement blocks until they warm up. But in NC, that should happen well before your engine warms up anyways.
- the black pack, I guess it’s taste, like a lot of it. I think it accentuates the color more when it is not all wrapped in it. But, if you’re worried about heat of a black car, the black roof will make it heat up faster for sure.
- caliper, no issues with break dust making them look awful. Of course you need to clean the wheels when you wash it, but mine still looks awesome with yellow calipers on black wheels. I would not introduce a third color.
- I would not worry about tuning the engine. You’ll have all the power you need for how you described you like to drive.
- you will love the V6 engine sound. Many reported what I noticed as well - the engine sound gets better with time! For some reason.
- alcantara seat may no crumple as much as some people reported the leather seats do. I also think it adds a more premium super car feel to it, same with the wheel.

Hope this helps. All of this is so subjective and different people go for very different specs, so always fun to hear what works for others.

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
honestly not sure, tho my bet is that its in development still so its not added to the main website yet. I found it thru google searching and it came up as one of the links
That could be. I double checked and the link/configurator that I used is the one that the dealer (Gator Motorsports in Indy) sent me a couple weeks ago when confirming my allocation. I'll follow up w/them and ask what's up.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
From someone who originally went for yellow and switched to nimbus gray, considered tour vs sports for a long time, and debated black pack with friends:

- I went for Nimbus gray because it “sculpts” the car much better,you really see all the curves and vents. It also has a nice discrete two tone where in sunlight a champagne highlight comes out. I also thought that yellow was “trying a little to hard” to get attention, whereas with the nimbus it has a slight understatement to it. It still turns heads everywhere and gets lots of thumbs up.
- I think what is special about this car is the hard core, for the drivers, no apologies drivers car. For that reason, I went all the way: manual, sports, cup2. You sit is in and it is hard all the way. It doesn’t get in the way of daily driving it. It’s not hard like some other cars where your teeth are rattling, even on cobble stone streets it’s ok. I also think you get more feedback into the steering wheel from the road. The downside with cup2, is that there are cement blocks until they warm up. But in NC, that should happen well before your engine warms up anyways.
- the black pack, I guess it’s taste, like a lot of it. I think it accentuates the color more when it is not all wrapped in it. But, if you’re worried about heat of a black car, the black roof will make it heat up faster for sure.
- caliper, no issues with break dust making them look awful. Of course you need to clean the wheels when you wash it, but mine still looks awesome with yellow calipers on black wheels. I would not introduce a third color.
- I would not worry about tuning the engine. You’ll have all the power you need for how you described you like to drive.
- you will love the V6 engine sound. Many reported what I noticed as well - the engine sound gets better with time! For some reason.
- alcantara seat may no crumple as much as some people reported the leather seats do. I also think it adds a more premium super car feel to it, same with the wheel.

Hope this helps. All of this is so subjective and different people go for very different specs, so always fun to hear what works for others.
Great suggestions, heard the same about many things you mention. I’m in the same boat about specking mine as a no apologies drivers car but I’ve been mostly talked out of the Cup2 as no reason to get them unless doing regular track days. Any more feedback on your experience with them?

I’ve basically been told they’ll add a bit in perfect conditions driving the car hard but the downside is the tyre life and that you can shred the tire if it’s cold out and scary in the rain. North Carolina is very hot, but cooler in the mornings. A typical day there in the winter there can be frost in the morning and gradually warming up by noon. I beleive he plans to daily drive his. I am in colder Canada and will not daily drive mine and will put it away in the winter. Mostly weekend car for me and I wouldn’t take it to the golf club on a rainy day but you never know about a flash storm or a weekend road trip where it might rain. Could be some nice spring mornings I’d want to pull the car out of winter storage and take it for a Sunday morning spin with a temperature around 10 Celsius. I expect 95% of my use to be on hot summer days but could feel limited on the 5% with Cup2. Thoughts?

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Great input, thanks!

Regarding Nimbus Gray, I did like that car as it was closest to silver and I like silver. I don't think it was a choice when you ordered your car, but would you have chosen Osmium Silver instead if it were available at the time?

I may have to reconsider the Alcantara, which then also opens up the thread color question.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great suggestions, heard the same about many things you mention. I’m in the same boat about specking mine as a no apologies drivers car but I’ve been mostly talked out of the Cup2 as no reason to get them unless doing regular track days. Any more feedback on your experience with them?

I’ve basically been told they’ll add a bit in perfect conditions driving the car hard but the downside is the tyre life and that you can shred the tire if it’s cold out and scary in the rain. North Carolina is very hot, but cooler in the mornings. A typical day there in the winter there can be frost in the morning and gradually warming up by noon. I beleive he plans to daily drive his. I am in colder Canada and will not daily drive mine and will put it away in the winter. Mostly weekend car for me and I wouldn’t take it to the golf club on a rainy day but you never know about a flash storm or a weekend road trip where it might rain. Could be some nice spring mornings I’d want to pull the car out of winter storage and take it for a Sunday morning spin with a temperature around 10 Celsius. I expect 95% of my use to be on hot summer days but could feel limited on the 5% with Cup2. Thoughts?
If you get Sports suspension and the Goodyear Eagle tyres it will be usable for 100% of your likely usage. You’ll only miss a few % of the difference with Cup2s and only when pressing on briskly on decent tarmac or on track. If you really want that, you could buy a set of Cup2s as well and fit them for track days or during the summer.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you get Sports suspension and the Goodyear Eagle tyres it will be usable for 100% of your likely usage. You’ll only miss a few % of the difference with Cup2s and only when pressing on briskly on decent tarmac or on track. If you really want that, you could buy a set of Cup2s as well and fit them for track days or during the summer.
Yep! Always good to get your assurance Tom - exactly as I’m thinking. Don’t plan on tracking it especially when it’s new but maybe one day - and if I start to do that best to get a set of wheels to put on at the track. Car will be off the road in the winter but better not having to worry about the tyres on a spring/fall day or worrying about a sudden rainfall. In Toronto there are few opportunities to really push it anyways without going on a bit of a road trip but if I lived somewhere with regular access to windy roads it would be a bigger thing to contemplate.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
if I lived somewhere with regular access to windy roads it would be a bigger thing to contemplate.
Honestly my personal preference for windy roads is a tire with more progressive breakaway at the limit. A sudden transition to loss of traction is ok to deal with on the track, but on a mountain road you want more warning from the tire as you approach the limit. It ends up being more fun because the breakaway feedback is higher, even though the ultimate limit is slightly lower.

I ordered Sports with Goodyear for this reason.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Honestly my personal preference for windy roads is a tire with more progressive breakaway at the limit. A sudden transition to loss of traction is ok to deal with on the track, but on a mountain road you want more warning from the tire as you approach the limit. It ends up being more fun because the breakaway feedback is higher, even though the ultimate limit is slightly lower.

Totally agree and ordered them for the same reason. I tend to run with minimum nannies so I like a tire that communicates well. In either case, if it's like the Evora, it'll burn through the tires pretty quick. Then you have a wide open selection of really good tires.

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I think the key thing for me is the sports suspension. The rubber…. Give or take. If someone swapped the cup2 with eagles over night, I’d probably still prefer the cup2 but I would absolutely without a doubt enjoy driving the car on eagles.

The cup2 is a race tire. As such it gives a lot more grip, when It warms up. But cold, it’s like plastic. You will break traction easily when they are cold. So usually I don’t push it until I see the fronts go over 2 bars. ( you have the tire pressure monitor in your dash, I use it all the time). When they are warm, they are great and stick really well. But, the tarmac also needs to be, for lack of a better expression, rubbery. You know, the darker kind. If it is all tiny rocks, it’s not a good tire for that. The other thing is also how it breaks traction. It is not progressive at all. It just gives. I was on an on-ramp this one time and was enjoying myself a little too much turning in and the tail just went out - the traction control caught it and I counter steered in time, so everything got tidy quickly, but there was none of that progressive feel you get even the sound they make before they give. Call me crazy, but I actually like that 😊.

So, if I was speccing again, I’d probably still go cup2, but if there wasn’t that option any more, I’d just get the eagles and move on. If tour setup was the only option, I’d start rethinking the car itself. Just my preference, again, all of this is so personal.

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

That is probably the right choice. When mine makes its way to Spain in a few years, for mountain roads, I’ll probably get off the cup2s then. The sudden give of the cup2 is fun, but not when you’re facing a steep cliff drop as a consequence 😊.

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great input, thanks!

Regarding Nimbus Gray, I did like that car as it was closest to silver and I like silver. I don't think it was a choice when you ordered your car, but would you have chosen Osmium Silver instead if it were available at the time?

I may have to reconsider the Alcantara, which then also opens up the thread color question.
I would definitely consider the Osmium silver. Looks sick. The question I’d be asking myself would be if it is not too much like an after market chrome wrap. You know, too reflective maybe? I don’t like overstated cars, but I love a paint that accentuates the car design lines. Osmium Silver definitely does that.

You have a section in this forum where people post their chosen color pictures. It is important to see them in real life. I don’t know if there is Osmium Silver there yet.

I was only sold on the Nimbus Gray when I saw it in real life.

Get the alcantara seats. It will feel more exclusive, and as long as you don’t sit on them in wet shorts they should be fine for many years.

And in that case, get the stitching to match your calipers 💪.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Whoa - has anyone noticed the seats have changed in the configurator?!

I was thinking it looked much better in the new configuration over the last week and then it clicked. I’m going alcantara but felt the finish of the leather seats was nicer and wished the alcantara ones had the same detail….well…behold…

Has this already been noticed/discussed? Is this a change for V2? I haven’t noticed alcantara seats in any of the V1 videos etc…

IMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

I hope this isn’t a mistake because IMO this interior detail looks WAY nicer…

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I just re-watched Leno’s video….it’s actually the same stitching but hard to see the detail - I’m wondering if the contrast stitching simply doesn’t show up well in photos/videos and could do something to do with compression…

Chobfreak

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Whoa - has anyone noticed the seats have changed in the configurator?!

I was thinking it looked much better in the new configuration over the last week and then it clicked. I’m going alcantara but felt the finish of the leather seats was nicer and wished the alcantara ones had the same detail….well…behold…

Has this already been noticed/discussed? Is this a change for V2? I haven’t noticed alcantara seats in any of the V1 videos etc…

View attachment 30508

View attachment 30509

I hope this isn’t a mistake because IMO this interior detail looks WAY nicer…

View attachment 30510

View attachment 30511

View attachment 30512
The new configurator unfortunately shows the pre-production seats. The real seats have quite a different (imo better) look.

OP
@Life411

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I caught up with the dealer the other day and asked about the two different configurators. We spoke and he also sent me an email saying:

You can use either configurator to spec your car. However, saved configuration codes are configurator specific. The new configurator provides codes in all caps.

Lotus hasn't made a formal statement to dealers about this yet. I presume the new configurator will be used for future versions of the Emira (base and beyond). It is very comprehensive in listing options/features, some of which are standard or you can't opt out of on FE cars.

The new Emira configurator is in the same format as the Eletre configurator. This is likely what we'll use moving forward. Feel free to use whichever you prefer for the time being.