GT4 at Macau

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Also I feel as though the Supra knew he had to make an aggressive move early due to the pace of the Lotus'es during practice and qualifying. Disclaimer "I am not a GT4 race driver!" But the Supra was quick during qualifying.
Yeah the Supra went full bore into Lisboa on lap one, how he did not hit Christodoulou was a miracle but did for the Supra which may have been able to stay with or even challenge the Emira's in the race

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Unfortunate that it is Lotus NYO...
It's still a Lotus Emira GT4 built in the UK and winning convincingly against AMG Mercs, BMW's and Cayman GT4's. The pair of Lotus' looked nimble and quick. Great to see and excited for future GT4 races. This is the best piece of marketing Lotus can create, winning races again. Also by far the best looking car and best livery on the track. (y)

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's still a Lotus Emira GT4 built in the UK and winning convincingly against AMG Mercs, BMW's and Cayman GT4's. The pair of Lotus' looked nimble and quick. Great to see and excited for future GT4 races. This is the best piece of marketing Lotus can create, winning races again. Also by far the best looking car and best livery on the track. (y)
I will have to be honest. I am new to watching GT4 and really don't understand what this race means in terms of dominance. Now that I am hot on this I will keep researching. But as always, those who are familiar with GT4 who can put this race into context, please feel free to explain to us newbies.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I will have to be honest. I am new to watching GT4 and really don't understand what this race means in terms of dominance. Now that I am hot on this I will keep researching. But as always, those who are familiar with GT4 who can put this race into context, please feel free to explain to us newbies.
It is basically racing for homologated road cars. GT3 is more well known and considered the most exciting to watch. GT4 sits below in terms of top speed/Aero down force etc. I think the reason the GT series has grown so quickly and watched is that you can own any of the cars on the grid. (mind you the road version, not these track monsters...lol) So people do seem to relate and have passion towards their brand.

I think this scene pretty much sum's up why people like the GT3/4 racing series...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Great to see Lotus back on top in an international race series. I'd long given up hope of seeing a 1-2 from a pair of black and gold cars 🖤💛

Simon Lane, head of Lotus Advanced Performance, posted after the race "Lotus are back on track with a very capable race car. To order yours please drop me a DM." :)

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's still a Lotus Emira GT4 built in the UK and winning convincingly against AMG Mercs, BMW's and Cayman GT4's. The pair of Lotus' looked nimble and quick. Great to see and excited for future GT4 races. This is the best piece of marketing Lotus can create, winning races again. Also by far the best looking car and best livery on the

Great to see Lotus back on top in an international race series. I'd long given up hope of seeing a 1-2 from a pair of black and gold cars 🖤💛

Simon Lane, head of Lotus Advanced Performance, posted after the race "Lotus are back on track with a very capable race car. To order yours please drop me a DM." :)
Wall posters for every Lotus dealership!

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
"Lotus is gone finally a 3rd place car!"

One of the best quotes ever! lol

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It’s purely a copyright issue, it doesn’t reflect where the car is built. Emiras and Eletres (and Elises) in China are badged Lotus NYO, although the Emira is built at Hethel. Eletres in the UK are badged Lotus but are built in Wuhan.

The Emira GT4 is built in the UK.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's almost like "Lotus made in China", even though it isn't. Would be less confusing if they were just allowed to say "Lotus" on the side instead.
Here is the simplest explanation I have found. As TomE stated, copywright. Lotus NYO pre-dates Geely ownership.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Does anyone think that for races outside of China (Macau) they will revert back to just Lotus on the cars? I would imagine this to be the case.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What a mess. I am shocked that Lotus allowed one of its distributors to gain ownership of a Trademark. Intellectual property rights protection is a key component of dealership/distributorship agreements. Also, it really shows the immaturity of Chinese trademark laws if "Lotus" and "Lotus NYO" are not considered confusingly similar, especially when they operate in the same goods/service classification, and that an abandoned Trademark could have any legal impact on a new registration.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Man, watching those two Emiras absolutely dominate all the other cars was really fun to watch. They look sick in that black/gold setup as well.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What a mess. I am shocked that Lotus allowed one of its distributors to gain ownership of a Trademark. Intellectual property rights protection is a key component of dealership/distributorship agreements. Also, it really shows the immaturity of Chinese trademark laws if "Lotus" and "Lotus NYO" are not considered confusingly similar, especially when they operate in the same goods/service classification, and that an abandoned Trademark could have any legal impact on a new registration.
Welcome to the utter chaos of intellectual property protection in China. The barriers aren't just clerical... the whole system of trust, authority, and delegation that underpin the concepts of ownership and "rights" are utterly different there compared to western cultural business norms. It's consistently been a challenge for western entities doing business in China to accommodate themselves effectively to those differences.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is there a video of any of this action?
Full race playback (with commentary) 945 MB:

Extended highlights reel (raw sound, no commentary) 167 MB:

Playback links on these pages are direct pointers to the file... you can Right click, Save As and get the full MP4.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just finished watching. The Emiras looked fantastic out on the track. By the end of the first lap you could already see it was no contest. What a wonderful thing to see Lotus cars in black and gold again, out on the track taking 1st and 2nd!