❔ QUESTION Ground Clearance

Clam

Reaction score
I couldn't find an existing thread on ground clearance so here we are. There doesn't seem to be much info on this although I did read somewhere that the Seneca Blue showcar is a lot lower whereas the Shadow Grey pre-production car seems to sit a bit too high up, creating extra wheel well gap and unnecessarily raised center of gravity. From what I've read, one of the most magical Lotus traits is ride compliance while still possessing impressive cornering capability.

Does anyone have the exact ground clearance numbers? My driveway is slightly inclined and does have a small curb at the entrance.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I can't believe I've not come across the term "lowering cups" before today! Am I right in thinking this would mean ride compliance and handling would be similar to standard (as spring and damping rates aren't changed), but just... lower? Interesting... :unsure:

EDIT: I suppose this means you just meet Mr Bump Stop a lot if you get too frisky.
Very similar ride but not identical. You're effectively shortening the physical length of the damper slightly but not changing the rates.

• Useful
Reactions: ADC

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can't believe I've not come across the term "lowering cups" before today! Am I right in thinking this would mean ride compliance and handling would be similar to standard (as spring and damping rates aren't changed), but just... lower? Interesting... :unsure:

EDIT: I suppose this means you just meet Mr Bump Stop a lot if you get too frisky.
You’re taking preload off the springs so effectively they don’t “push up” the car so hard.
The bikers amongst us will be familiar with altering preload when carrying a pillion.
The damper is unaltered so bump and rebound rates are the same.
Obviously, you have changed a fundamental part of the setup, so things are different but it seemed fine to me in general use.

• Useful
Reactions: ADC

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You’re taking preload off the springs so effectively they don’t “push up” the car so hard.
The bikers amongst us will be familiar with altering preload when carrying a pillion.
The damper is unaltered so bump and rebound rates are the same.
Obviously, you have changed a fundamental part of the setup, so things are different but it seemed fine to me in general use.
Thanks. Reduced pre-load was how I had figured it in my head... the main downside being that you'd have less travel available in the damper. What I couldn't get my head around (at that late hour, brain fried from work) was whether that meant the spring would be less likely to firm up as intended to prevent you whacking into the stops.