Getting used to rear wheel drive - experiences?

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I am also afraid of lift off oversteer having driven awd Audi and BMW for the last 20 years. I tend to corner at the limit of my tires once I get used to the car and I know the 911 was famous for death and destruction for this issue.

oh yes! the oversteer!!

I had a 350Z when they first came out... copper orangey colour of course :)

was a lovely day and had traction control off, having a blast

it started raining.... not much... just enough to wet the surface

by this time I'd forgotten I'd turned it off

was pootling through a little country village at 30mph

I exit the village and as I pass the national speed limit sign I put my foot down... then hit a corner and foot off.... slap... right hand side of car comes flying out so I'm almost sideways... I catch it and congratulate myself, happy in my hubris for a few milliseconds.... but oh no... too much correction... here comes the left side..... ooops, my rear tyres are off the road.... ooops I'm in a ditch going sideways at 40mph

finally come to a rest with barely a scratch on the car, literally inches from a hedge, and phone a mate to help rescue me.

a few cars pass, including a porsche... who slows down just to have a giggle as far as I could tell

my friend arrives, sees me in a ditch, and starts pissing himself... as I'm 50 yards past a "thank you for driving carefully through our village sign"

a passing dump truck drags me out of the ditch and off I go to a local garage, who get it up on a lift, and the guy bursts out laughing "most expensive lawnmover I've ever seen" he chuckles as they pull clumps of grass out of the underside of the car... which again has no damage.

that was the day I learnt about rear wheel drive!!!

prestonc

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This will be my first rear wheel drive car, have always had front wheel drive up until current car which is Quattro (Audi TTS)

Does concern me a bit, especially in bad weather.

Comments / experiences from those who have also made the change.

I assume being mid engine will make a difference too compared to some other RWD cars.
Don't squirt too early!
You'll love it! The drive will be amazing.
Book a track day as soon as you get it. You're UK, correct? Go to Bedford Autodrome, safest track!!!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The advanced driver training at Millbrook with CAT Driver Training is excellent. Unlike a track day, the various test track routes are like real roads, They cover braking, handling, high speed avoidance etc.

centerpunch

Reaction score
Since the Emira is a modern car with traction control and stability control, you probably won't even notice the difference.

But go out in the rain in a big parking lot and turn those aids off, and you'll quickly see how much fun RWD is!

prestonc

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Since the Emira is a modern car with traction control and stability control, you probably won't even notice the difference.

But go out in the rain in a big parking lot and turn those aids off, and you'll quickly see how much fun RWD is!
Boom, 100%

VTECMatt

Reaction score
As mentioned driver training is a real benefit, not only will you get more from the car and drive safer, you’ll have loads of fun. Think I must have done 6 separate full days when I first had Elise’s, taught me so much.

The single most important thing to watch for with RWD is standing water, in my experience have a higher tendency to do it, so be aware.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As mentioned driver training is a real benefit, not only will you get more from the car and drive safer, you’ll have loads of fun. Think I must have done 6 separate full days when I first had Elise’s, taught me so much.

The single most important thing to watch for with RWD is standing water, in my experience have a higher tendency to do it, so be aware.
Or even worse like as a bit of oil on the road.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You have nothing to worry about

The the amount of tire marks on the ground and the dents in those rails, this is a common occurrence at this spot. Looks like a cold day so maybe he's not running the right tires? Car in front of him looks like an S2000 and it braked before going over the hump. Based on the engine noise, the driver lifted off the throttle without pressing the clutch...

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The the amount of tire marks on the ground and the dents in those rails, this is a common occurrence at this spot. Looks like a cold day so maybe he's not running the right tires? Car in front of him looks like an S2000 and it braked before going over the hump. Based on the engine noise, the driver lifted off the throttle without pressing the clutch...
By all accounts I’m not a skilled driver. This innocent looking event scares the F out of me.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
By all accounts I’m not a skilled driver. This innocent looking event scares the F out of me.

Yea, it does look scary. This is the reason why I would never turn off traction control. People can laugh at me all they want.