❔ QUESTION Gearbox oil cooler

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In the Evora 400 series, Lotus included the fitting of an oil cooler system, based upon Toyota standard parts. Do we know if a gearbox oil cooler system is fitted to the Emira.

Solution
I think he is confused on that, I don’t think that is the same as the Evora Toyota based system. Which uses I believe the returned charge cooler circuit at the engine to cool the gear oil via a piped pumped system of Toyota parts, as described by the Lotus Guru - YouTube video.

Unless this is an entirely different system, in my eyes that radiator matrix size is for the air conditioning condenser system? IMHO.
That front right radiator is engine oil cooling.
The air-con condenser is in a sandwich with the engine coolant rad and the charge cooler rad in the main front intake.
Manual gearbox oil cooler is a oil to water type that sits on top of the gearbox.
Auto cars have an additional gearbox oil radiator in the front left...

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In the Evora 400 series, Lotus included the fitting of an oil cooler system, based upon Toyota standard parts. Do we know if a gearbox oil cooler system is fitted to the Emira.
I remember this being mentioned specifically in a video within the past few months. I'm pretty confident that it does have one.

From everything that I have read and understand, the Emira drivetrain (the whole thing) is a mild evolution of the same full system used in the last iterations of the Evora.

OP
Forlorn

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I remember this being mentioned specifically in a video within the past few months. I'm pretty confident that it does have one.

From everything that I have read and understand, the Emira drivetrain (the whole thing) is a mild evolution of the same full system used in the last iterations of the Evora.
Gosh I hope so. The only video I saw this in was on YouTube - “The Lotus Guru” based upon Evora development. Yes you are correct that the latest versions of Evora have this system. I do hope it has it.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Gosh I hope so. The only video I saw this in was on YouTube - “The Lotus Guru” based upon Evora development. Yes you are correct that the latest versions of Evora have this system. I do hope it has it.
I think it was mentioned in Harry Metcalfe's factory visit video.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was mentioned in Harry Metcalfe's factory visit video.

It was.. The part when he attempted to uncover the side mount radiator, then finds out its actually an oil cooler. It's at ~12:50 in this video...

Screenshot_20221205-224007_YouTube.jpg

OP
Forlorn

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It was.. The part when he attempted to uncover the side mount radiator, then finds out its actually an oil cooler. It's at ~12:50 in this video...

View attachment 20030
I think he is confused on that, I don’t think that is the same as the Evora Toyota based system. Which uses I believe the returned charge cooler circuit at the engine to cool the gear oil via a piped pumped system of Toyota parts, as described by the Lotus Guru - YouTube video.

Unless this is an entirely different system, in my eyes that radiator matrix size is for the air conditioning condenser system? IMHO.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

The air-con condenser is in a sandwich with the engine coolant rad and the charge cooler rad in the main front intake.
Manual gearbox oil cooler is a oil to water type that sits on top of the gearbox.
Auto cars have an additional gearbox oil radiator in the front left intake.
All as per the Evora 4xx cars.

Solution
OP
Forlorn

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
guess that clears it up about the gearbox oil cooler being the same as Evora.
Interesting about the engine oil cooler, didn’t know that.
Yes the A/C condenser more than likely sandwiched between water radiator, seen that many times on various cars.
Many thanks for the information. Excellent.

Eworker

Reaction score
I'm still confused:unsure: about the air intake on the left side of the front of the car, because there seems to be only a metal frame here, without any radiators (see Harry's visit video). But in a video from a long time ago, the air intake on the left side of the front of the car obviously has a square cooler that is symmetrical to the right side.
as the picture shows:
Emira2.png
Emira3.png
Emira1.png

Last edited:
OP
Forlorn

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That’s because Harry’s car is a manual with the gearbox oil cooler hidden away in the engine bay.

Only auto cars have the left hand oil radiator. The blue car in your photo is therefore an auto.
So we have probably different cooling scenarios dependent upon which car we have.

The systems requiring cooling would seem to be as follows:

Engine cooling water based system
A/C condenser unit
Supercharger intercooler system
Engine oil - cooler radiator

Now we could have an Autobox oil cooler

Does the I4 engine require any further cooling?

We know V6 manual has gearbox mounted oil cooler - based on the Evora Toyota equipment system.

So the front end is well packaged. Have I missed anything. KEF audio amplifier cooling due to its immense power output? Just kidding🤔

Eworker

Reaction score
So we have probably different cooling scenarios dependent upon which car we have.

The systems requiring cooling would seem to be as follows:

Engine cooling water based system
A/C condenser unit
Supercharger intercooler system
Engine oil - cooler radiator

Now we could have an Autobox oil cooler

Does the I4 engine require any further cooling?

We know V6 manual has gearbox mounted oil cooler - based on the Evora Toyota equipment system.

So the front end is well packaged. Have I missed anything. KEF audio amplifier cooling due to its immense power output? Just kidding🤔
The engine draws air from next to the left door. There's also an air intake on the right, maybe for the intercooler for the turbo?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
The engine draws air from next to the left door. There's also an air intake on the right, maybe for the intercooler for the turbo?

Maybe. It'd be cool if the AMG setup featured a top mount intercooler like the STIs and had a roof scoop to feed air through it! 😎

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
now wouldn’t that be cool, and a carbon rear tailgate and ducktail, designed to prevent water pooling.🤣🤣

I really hope the aftermarket goes crazy with this car. :devilish: Imagine a 500WHP Emira slimmed down to ~3k lbs flat (or less)! That thing would be a beast!

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Having seen the Service Notes I’m feeling the need to correct myself with this.

They have changed things a bit from the Evora.

That front right radiator is now the chargecooler rad and the engine oil cooler is now a oil to water heat exchanger type in the engine bay.
It sits on the front of the rear subframe next to a revised gearbox oil cooler that’s been moved there from the top of the gearbox.

Both can be seen in this pic:

C1DE72F0-CD00-4A52-BC76-4EA5EC3C94A6.jpeg

That leaves just the coolant radiator and the a/c condenser in the front centre.

That’ll teach me to assume it’s just a re-hashed Evora. 😁

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Having seen the Service Notes I’m feeling the need to correct myself with this.

They have changed things a bit from the Evora.

That front right radiator is now the chargecooler rad and the engine oil cooler is now a oil to water heat exchanger type in the engine bay.
It sits on the front of the rear subframe next to a revised gearbox oil cooler that’s been moved there from the top of the gearbox.

Both can be seen in this pic:

View attachment 21827

That leaves just the coolant radiator and the a/c condenser in the front centre.

That’ll teach me to assume it’s just a re-hashed Evora. 😁
FYI the short cylindrical object next to the gearbox oil cooler (center right of your image) is an electric coolant pump.
Coolant pump

This cooling circuit also has its own thermostat and its own coolant reservoir tank in the engine bay. Seems to be separate from the engine cooling circuit entirely, though I can't be sure with the diagrams I have available.
Thermostat

Coolant reservoir tank

The main coolant reservoir tank for the engine is at the bottom left in the above image. A better view showing removal of the reservoir cap:
1675201107181.png

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yup. There’s also a separate oil pump for the gearbox oil cooling.
The small header tank at top left is for the chargecooler circuit, as per the Evora setup.
The Evora gearbox oil cooler was tee-ed off the engine coolant pipework. I’d assume this setup is the same?
As you say @Porter we’ll have to have a look at the plumbing of an actual car to work it out.
I’ll be able to have a look on Saturday 😉 (at last!).