• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Gear Indicator Issue

Martylemoo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anybody else had an issue with the gear indicator on the dash, mine has decided to display nothing unless in N or R. Same in Tour/Sport and Track mode.
Wondering if a battery off for a while might fix it?

It doesn't display while moving?

The gear indications for everything other than N and R are inferred by the ECU from wheel speed and engine RPM.

Well that's bizarre. Seems like the kind of feature that should be more resistant to failure modes by virtue of being non-physical, rather than less resistant.

Seems like the problem would be at either the sensor end (wheel speed) or the display end (broken link to dash compositor). The latter could definitely be improved by a battery-off hard reboot.

Any codes thrown? Check engine light doesn't have to be on for a code to exist.

Last edited:
Did a battery reset, has not changed it.

No codes recorded.

Weirdly it was fine when I went to the dealer, get it back with a now opening door but this issue.

It seems I am destined to visit the dealer each week.

Did a battery reset, has not changed it.

No codes recorded.

Weirdly it was fine when I went to the dealer, get it back with a now opening door but this issue.

It seems I am destined to visit the dealer each week.
If they did a software update on your vehicle while it was in, there's a possibility that one of the modules didn't complete its update properly and is now operating in a degraded state. That's not a diagnosis of course, just a possibility to add to the thought process.

I just spoke to the dealer, they didn’t do anything other than remove the door card and door latch.
They said it was working this morning when they drove it out of the garage.
Very strange, maybe it will fix itself tomorrow as it has been seen before ^.

Yeah very strange I used to read the forum time to time and is the first issue like yours read

Had that once, stopped for fuel, fine before getting there but no gear indication or parking brake auto operation after leaving. Was fine the next day and hasn’t happened since (🤞)