Front and rear cosmetic evolution

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m taking a week away from work and find myself with time to contemplate. I was looking back at the evolution of the appearance of the front and rear of the Evora. Early versions had a rounded opening at the front end matched by a smooth, ovoid rear with integrated spoiler. With time, these features morphed to something much more angular and muscular, and honestly, I never found the changes appealing because they seemed to contradict the fluidity of the car’s original profile. The later Evora certainly had a more chiseled design language, and was a handsome car for sure, but I always felt the car strayed from its original intent. I love the way Emira seems to have reconciled this duality. What a wonderful display of sculptured elements that blend so well with its curvaceousness. And all the while aligns presentation with function. It’s all so purposeful. My only stylistic objections are the rear spoiler lighting, that in my mind would have been better presented as a contiguous oval, and the unimaginative placement of the infotainment control screen, as is true for most cars these days. Otherwise it’s really a design masterpiece, whose genius is found in unity arising out of some measure of discord. Really fantastic work,

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I agree, I think the Emira design is excellent and very cohesive. Knowing Lotus, every element has a function … and sometimes two.

The aero design is also very clever, as it retains the same fore-aft downforce split as speed and downforce increases. That makes the higher speed cornering more predictable and consistent.

I have a Series 1 Evora and prefer the more rounded styling compared to the 4xx series. There are several cues that carry over from earlier Lotus designs.

I guess Lotus will eventually do a Series 2 Emira, they always do! But, as with the Elise, Exige and Evora, it will be the Series 1 that nails it for me :)

OP
M

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I agree, I think the Emira design is excellent and very cohesive. Knowing Lotus, every element has a function … and sometimes two.

The aero design is also very clever, as it retains the same fore-aft downforce split as speed and downforce increases. That makes the higher speed cornering more predictable and consistent.

I have a Series 1 Evora and prefer the more rounded styling compared to the 4xx series. There are several cues that carry over from earlier Lotus designs.

I guess Lotus will eventually do a Series 2 Emira, they always do! But, as with the Elise, Exige and Evora, it will be the Series 1 that nails it for me :)
Agree. As often seems to be true, manufacturers get so much right with first editions, at least from a styling perspective. Wouldn’t it be great to have the mechanicals of the most recent Evora with the cohesive, fluid styling of the original? Oh wait….that’s Emira. Patience is rewarded.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They've clearly learned a lot from the Evora and Evija on dynamics and aero. Gav Kershaw said the Emira handling was like the latest Evora dialled up to 11. That plus styling that links past, present and future Lotus design language while drawing on various supercar cues, but staying in the sportscar price bracket. Exciting times for Lotus and us future Emira owners.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
They've clearly learned a lot from the Evora and Evija on dynamics and aero. Gav Kershaw said the Emira handling was like the latest Evora dialled up to 11. That plus styling that links past, present and future Lotus design language while drawing on various supercar cues, but staying in the sportscar price bracket. Exciting times for Lotus and us future Emira owners.

Handling is the biggest question mark for me. Again, never owned a Lotus. I want touring suspension but if its not adjustable...?Seems like they could have at least two modes. Will the Sports "softer" setting be close to touring? Assuming that sport will have two settings.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ride and handling is a key capability for Lotus. They do consultancy (mostly in secret) for other manufacturers. Do try and drive an Evora if you can, it’s as close as you can get to Emira handling at the moment.

Touring will be the best option for most people, for fast road driving on variable quality surfaces and the odd track day. Sport is very track focussed and so won’t suit mixed road driving as well as Touring.

I don’t know what adjustment they’ll have on Sport but I was convinced by Gav Kershaw (head of dynamics) that Touring and maybe switch to Cup tyres for track days would be better for my usage than Sport with Eagles for road use.