Factory Tour Thread

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Why is it ok in an old exige but not the new Emira? New regs>?
There was a concern way back at Goodwood last year that the exposed shifter wouldn't meet regulations in some countries due to risk of finger trap. Because the Emira is a "world car" they want to get approvals worldwide for the same spec car and not have regional variations. Lotus were considering a solution that met regulations but could be removed. My guess is that proposed mesh covering hasn't been agreed and hence the solid covering.

Fingers crossed (and not trapped!) that it's removeable.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I expect they’re delayed a month, as they’re waiting for production Emiras. That’ll mean bookings opening later in May for sessions from July onwards. I’ll see if I can get a more specific update.
The Lotus Driving Academy are expecting to start sessions in mid June with production Emiras. Website refresh and bookings should be live from 18 May.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no! I hope this is limited to some specific region only requirement and not applied globally. e.g. The US-specific headlights with the amber strips are not used worldwide.

It was one of the 'jewelery' selling points for the car. I would hate a big lump of plastic covering it all up!
Yeah, this was an advertised feature that I was excited about! Well I actually even considered removing the mesh all together, but still... I hope it's there on my FE!

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There was a concern way back at Goodwood last year that the exposed shifter wouldn't meet regulations in some countries due to risk of finger trap. Because the Emira is a "world car" they want to get approvals worldwide for the same spec car and not have regional variations. Lotus were considering a solution that met regulations but could be removed. My guess is that proposed mesh covering hasn't been agreed and hence the solid covering.

Fingers crossed (and not trapped!) that it's removeable.
Let's hope so as they are still listing it as a "feature" on the website so would be pretty annoyed if it is yet another thing that was promised that then disappears - let alone false advertising etc

1651837501898.png

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
So far we potentially have the following early advertised options missing and/or with supplier issues delaying production:
  • TDC steering wheel stripe on manual transmission wheels
  • Deviated stitching on manual transmission wheels
  • ADAS on V6 FE
  • Mesh grill showing visible shift linkage on manual transmission Emiras
  • Black titanium exhaust finishers (supplier delay)
  • Forged wheels delayed (Rimstock supplier)
  • Various unconfirmed Toyota parts (supplier issue)
  • What else...?
Remember when the FEs were supposed to be delivered "Spring 2022" and now it's looking like August at the earliest for UK buyers and probably November for US buyers (though I'm expecting early 2023 the way things are going).

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So far we potentially have the following early advertised options missing and/or with supplier issues delaying production:
  • ADAS on V6 FE
  • What else...?
Remember when the FEs were supposed to be delivered "Spring 2022" and now it's looking like August at the earliest for UK buyers and probably November for US buyers (though I'm expecting early 2023 the way things are going).
Im still on for June Build with July delivery.....supposedly.

Although i wouldnt be surpised if they couldnt deliver, again

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
  • ADAS on V6 FE
  • What else...?
Deviated stitching on manual transmission wheels...this sounds interesting.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
  • ADAS on V6 FE
  • What else...?
Remember when they revealed the car in July 2021? We were coming out of Lockdown #2 in the UK and enjoying attending a major event at Goodwood. We were heading back into offices and factories. No one had heard of Omicron. Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine.

I was told unofficially my deposit meant a May 2022 delivery - now it's due in July, so only 2 months late. Meanwhile, try ordering for example a Jaguar or Porsche model that is already in production - 12+ months delivery.

TDC stripe was never offered as an option on manual wheels, nor was contrast stitching. Nor was ADAS offered on the V6 FE. If the mesh and exposed linkage turns out to be covered, it will be for regulatory reasons. The delayed pieces will arrive. Several manufacturers are delivering current models with features removed due to chip shortages and customers only find out on delivery.

These problems aren't confined to Lotus, or even just to the car industry. I have a multi-national energy client who can't get network equipment for at least 9 months.

It's not a great situation and Lotus could manage people's expectations better. But it's actually quite an achievement to be delivering any cars at the moment.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I can forgive everything but the steering wheel. I think it was offered and we all felt the same when it disappeared. And that is one thing that could be fixed given the time they’ve had and option to just get it sorted post supply.

This picture still triggers me!
56C7D123-C258-4A75-9260-6FD94C28A8EC.jpeg

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I can forgive everything but the steering wheel. I think it was offered and we all felt the same when it disappeared. And that is one thing that could be fixed given the time they’ve had and option to just get it sorted post supply.

This picture still triggers me!View attachment 5240
Looks like coloured stitching too, just for the record (not trying to kick up any dust 😅).

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like coloured stitching too, just for the record (not trying to kick up any dust 😅).

Yup.. there was an early photo of the visors with deviated stitching as well. I know in the US, ours will have some ugly white and yellow airbag warning stuck on. :cry:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in the other side of the garage, 2 years 5 months and 15 days later I’m still waiting for any communication at all about when I might be invited to configure 🤷🏻

Attachments

• 5D6072BC-81CE-4196-A354-D4D01D624512.jpeg
    5D6072BC-81CE-4196-A354-D4D01D624512.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 52

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in the other side of the garage, 2 years 5 months and 15 days later I’m still waiting for any communication at all about when I might be invited to configure 🤷🏻
Funding the Tesla bank 🏦

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Lol Me to, but I realized it was what it was, a quick publicity stunt, and it worked, but here we are years later holding our wieners in our hand.