Factory Tour Thread

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Can we get a pic dump of all the ones taken today? Or can someone point me in the direction of that thread?
It looks like there's no real new shots from the last day or so. I think a few dealers may have had a little telling off about prematurely releasing photos. Shame really....

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Am I imagining it or are the rotors both drilled and slotted?

Zoom the shadow grey car.

Attachments

• CEEDD7F5-C648-4930-9550-5E269BB8CD6F.png
    CEEDD7F5-C648-4930-9550-5E269BB8CD6F.png
    536.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Next Decade

Reaction score
I found Senna one dimensional and Hethel just plain and shouty. Verdant and Shadow moody elegant, magma eye popping warm vibrant and Nimbus clever!
Off topic but I appreciate seeing another 9-3 owner who also is in line for the Emira

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Birthday trip to the Factory booked for the afternoon of the 1st June with the Wife. Picked my colour (Seneca) already but still holding a candle for Magma. Maybe see another from here!

SteveB

Reaction score
I bet production will be slotted. Drilled is no good for track. Brembo and AP are going away from it
Drilled discs can develop small stress cracks around the holes. If the cracks enlarge and join up it can result in catastrophic failure of the disc. Drilled discs should be inspected on a regular basis for evidence of cracking around the holes and replaced if any significant damage found. Slotted discs (not drilled) are much more resistant to stress fractures and provide an acceptable level of gas clearance/removal of dust etc.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Drilled discs can develop small stress cracks around the holes. If the cracks enlarge and join up it can result in catastrophic failure of the disc. Drilled discs should be inspected on a regular basis for evidence of cracking around the holes and replaced if any significant damage found. Slotted discs (not drilled) are much more resistant to stress fractures and provide an acceptable level of gas clearance/removal of dust etc.
Every day is a school day!

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Birthday trip to the Factory booked for the afternoon of the 1st June with the Wife. Picked my colour (Seneca) already but still holding a candle for Magma. Maybe see another from here!
I hope you get to see all the colours you need to indoors and out.

SlavaUkraini

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yep. The drilled cake up with brake dust during heavy track use and actually do the opposite of what they are intended to do. The heat has nowhere to go and they end up forming cracks like you said. It’s a shame the GT4 still comes with them, as the supplier of the rotors is moving away.

My initial feeling was that when the rotors for the Emira were first supplied they may have been drilled but then they moved to slotted, but I do not know for sure. I would prefer slotted (even though I’m not getting one for now - I continue to wish for this cars success). At the end of the day it’s not the end of the world, most people who track it will get them replaced anyway, and most owners probably won’t track it anyway. HPDE owners won’t have anything to worry about with drilled as it shouldn’t take enough abuse I don’t think to cause issues.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m not sure why they don’t just put AP rings on there with their patented j hooks.

SteveB

Reaction score
Don't know that, I just see the drill holes and the slots cut. Don't have a close enough photo to tell.

From a photo I took at a viewing at Hethel last year the front discs were drilled through but not slotted.

Attachments

• 983027BD-C9F4-4FC1-A37F-7C417ECDA524.jpeg
    983027BD-C9F4-4FC1-A37F-7C417ECDA524.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 73
OP
NickR

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
From a photo I took at a viewing at Hethel last year the front discs were drilled through but not slotted.
Just saw drilled disks when on the factory tour. BtW the argument around cracks on drill holes is not really science. Why do you think boats have round portholes? A 90° corner is much more likely to get stress fractures.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah I get cracks on my rotors from track use regardless of blank, drilled, slotted, or j hook. Very little difference between the three in terms of longevity.

Drilled does a better job at expelling the brake pad vaporization, but deposits build up and once cracks do start forming across the rotor face, they tend to maybe build to larger cracks in a slightly shorter amount of time.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Yeah I get cracks on my rotors from track use regardless of blank, drilled, slotted, or j hook. Very little difference between the three in terms of longevity.

Drilled does a better job at expelling the brake pad vaporization, but deposits build up and once cracks do start forming across the rotor face, they tend to maybe build to larger cracks in a slightly shorter amount of time.
Just have to drill them out once in a while to remove build-up perhaps?

SteveB

Reaction score
Just saw drilled disks when on the factory tour. BtW the argument around cracks on drill holes is not really science. Why do you think boats have round portholes? A 90° corner is much more likely to get stress fractures.
Agree angles more likely than curves to develop fractures when stressed and drilling a hole can stop crack propagation - however from experience drilled brake discs develop stress fractures radiating out from the drilled holes. Not entirely sure of the reason why, possibly a consequence of repeated heating and cooling cycles and localised differences in metal expansion and contraction in the vicinity of the holes.