• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Exige meets Emira

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just got back from taking the Exige over to Lotus Kent to meet his new super sexy Hethel yellow sibling.

I’m looking forward to taking the Emira out for a drive next week, but in the meantime, I did manage to make a few side by side comparisons of interest (if, that is, you can even begin to compare the two).

I think I speak for all of us when I say that I fell in love with Emira at first sight, but I must say I do find that tingly feeling fades as soon as I step inside. It all feels a bit clinically modern and is a bit too ‘normal’. Shortly before entering the Emira, I sat in the new Vauxhall Astra. It felt very similar! 😳🙀

The Exige on the other hand is packed full of drama both from the outside & when sat inside. I may still be in the honeymoon period but I’m finding the analogue, visceral theatre of the Exige addictive. Once you’ve climbed inside, (which is an event in itself), the 360 view of sharp fenders out front, picnic bench sized spoiler through both wing mirrors & supercar style slatted hatch to the rear are like a shot of adrenaline every single time. Then there’s that sound. I drove through a tunnel at speed yesterday & almost wet myself with pleasure! 🤤

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still hugely into the Emira. I am still very much hopeful that after the test drive I will be bowled over and hope to own one at some point in the future but, as it stands, I think the Exige will be a very difficult performance drug to withdraw from 🏎️🚀🧡

C44BCB20-C8CB-416A-B092-5A520A9DC869.jpeg

FD534C76-40E3-4E60-8E19-DBFF0608F0AC.jpeg

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Different cars despite the common heritage and DNA. I intend to keep my Exige as well as the Emira. Is that your plan too?

OP
EmiraMike

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Different cars despite the common heritage and DNA. I intend to keep my Exige as well as the Emira. Is that your plan too?
Indeed Tom. I would love to but unlikely c/o lack of parking. Perhaps the other half will be persuaded to trade in her beloved Mini! 🤞🏼

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Very different beasts.
I do actually prefer the experience of the Exige but only in small doses.
Where the Emira smashes it is in usability for the masses.

One of each makes perfect sense to me and I might go down that route next year.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’m moving from a tuned TT to the I4, increasing my visceralness, you’re doing the opposite, I’d caution you

Citizen

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can’t compare them

Only tell me how many exiges were sold

And how many emira are at least ordered,

And lotus have to survive with selling cars , not with few dreams petrolhead owners and future customers ,

The plan was clear about the emira , try to sell the car to a wide public

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Can’t compare them

Only tell me how many exiges were sold

And how many emira are at least ordered,

And lotus have to survive with selling cars , not with few dreams petrolhead owners and future customers ,

The plan was clear about the emira , try to sell the car to a wide public
Never knew any of this great info

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I believe the change of focus by Lotus to bring out one car to replace Elise/Exige/Evora - that was the Emira.
But does it meet its remit:
Elise -small car/Roadster
Exige - Hardcore Track focused warrior.
Evora - GT sports car.

I don’t see the Emira cutting it for the Elise or Exige brigade. I might be wrong but they are totally different customers with different briefs and needs. Let alone price points which are totally different. But what do I know.

VTECMatt

Reaction score
I believe the change of focus by Lotus to bring out one car to replace Elise/Exige/Evora - that was the Emira.
But does it meet its remit:
Elise -small car/Roadster
Exige - Hardcore Track focused warrior.
Evora - GT sports car.

I don’t see the Emira cutting it for the Elise or Exige brigade. I might be wrong but they are totally different customers with different briefs and needs. Let alone price points which are totally different. But what do I know.

Almost impossible to recreate the Elise and why would you, it’s a 40-50k car new in 2022, Exige much more and would be more £s next year, there just isn’t a big enough market for it. I wouldn’t buy an Emira if it wasn’t what it is which let’s be honest is what Porsche has been doing for years with the Boxster and Cayman. Doing very well and Lotus has wanted to be in this market with the Evora. The problem with the Evora was that it was really expensive with what is a shape that is really quite old.
To play with the big boys you can’t have the rawness and impracticalities of the Elise/Exige and the fit and finish has to be bloody good on a 70k car. The Evora was not good imho on these points.

As such current owners

Citizen

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Never knew any of this great info

Why are you disrespectful with my answer?

I’m only trying to answer with education
With this kind of behaviour to me , my desire is give up the forum and no answering any more ,

I think the forum have 90% people who will not buy the car never

OP
EmiraMike

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Indeed Tom. I would love to but unlikely c/o lack of parking. Perhaps the other half will be persuaded to trade in her beloved Mini! 🤞🏼
Scrap the lack of parking problem. I’ve found a fabulous solution!
65590940-B596-4403-B48F-F59204710CFA.jpeg

I’ve tried telling the other half that we could use the spoiler🏎️ for serving hors d'oeuvre, but she’s not convinced! 🥴

ott

Reaction score
Very different beasts.
I do actually prefer the experience of the Exige but only in small doses.
Where the Emira smashes it is in usability for the masses.

One of each makes perfect sense to me and I might go down that route next year.
Same for me. I drive my Exige about once a month and its never fails to give me excitement like when I drove it out of showroom 9 years ago. After long weekend I'm looking forward to put it back in garage and relax. Emira should do it.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Scrap the lack of parking problem. I’ve found a fabulous solution!
View attachment 10346
I’ve tried telling the other half that we could use the spoiler🏎️ for serving hors d'oeuvre, but she’s not convinced! 🥴
I really love it!
Now I have problem.
Shall I move the garage to the 5th floor and the living to -4?
Not even asking my second half though. She will hate Emiraworld as she calls me lately even more!