• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Eventuri development

JUBU said the stock airbox is good for 600 hp just needs a sports filter. They do more testing than anyone I know. So why wouldn’t they change the stock box if was that bad? So I’m guessing the dyno Eventuri did they used a stock OEM filter vs there set up?

Bc if the filter is all that’s needed for more airflow then all aftermarket intakes could be a waste of precious money that can go elsewhere.
Is there normally a charcoal filter and they removed it for the dyno comparison?

Is there normally a charcoal filter and they removed it for the dyno comparison?
That I don’t know so idk what that statement means. If they did a sport filter and did the dyno that would be awesome.

Their stock Emira dyno made more then Aerie Performance so maybe they did use another filter. Also could be the car and dyno used idk.

Eventuri's dyno graph has obliviously been incorrectly plotted. The stock curve is shifted to the right. The fact that they published it raises many doubts.

JUBU said the stock airbox is good for 600 hp just needs a sports filter. They do more testing than anyone I know. So why wouldn’t they change the stock box if was that bad? So I’m guessing the dyno Eventuri did they used a stock OEM filter vs there set up?

Bc if the filter is all that’s needed for more airflow then all aftermarket intakes could be a waste of precious money that can go elsewhere.
I don't think the stock airbox/filter is bad by any means. The Eventuri system was able to extract only another 3% of power, but it does it consistently which shows it's doing more than just a less restrictive air filter. Jubu's claim that the stock airbox was good for 600 hp just needs a sports filter... well that means they're only relying on a less restrictive filter, which usually means something like a K&N which tests show doesn't do as good a job of filtration. If you're now pushing a 400 hp engine to 600 hp, then in my mind I would want at LEAST as good of filtration as stock, maybe even better.

You're also only getting "600" hp at the top of the rpm range, and even the Aerie intake shows that type of increase by only beginning to work at 4200+ rpm. With that type of system, you can see on the dyno charts there's no difference between the aftermarket and the stock airbox until you get to those higher rpms. That's the difference between what other companies are showing with their products, and what Eventuri is showing. Their dyno shows immediate results right from the start and the gains stay pretty consistent all the way up the rpm range. Rather than waiting until the engine itself is trying to pull more air at higher rpms, the Eventuri system appears to provide more airflow right away, so it's more than just a less restrictive sport filter.

Eventuri's dyno graph has obliviously been incorrectly plotted. The stock curve is shifted to the right. The fact that they published it raises many doubts.
I just caught that. How did they get it stock to 6900 rpm?

We'll have to wait for a shoot-out between aftermarket air filters to get a true comparison, which I'm sure will be done by somebody, but since I don't plan on constantly pushing my engine up to the top of the rpm range very often, I like the lower rpm performance of the Eventuri.

I just caught that. How did they get it stock to 6900 rpm?
The dyno date shows October 2023, so that would have been a Euro spec model and before several ECU updates Lotus has made since then. I want to see a dyno comparison of the final release product, and hopefully on a current Federal model.

I don't think the stock airbox/filter is bad by any means. The Eventuri system was able to extract only another 3% of power, but it does it consistently which shows it's doing more than just a less restrictive air filter. Jubu's claim that the stock airbox was good for 600 hp just needs a sports filter... well that means they're only relying on a less restrictive filter, which usually means something like a K&N which tests show doesn't do as good a job of filtration. If you're now pushing a 400 hp engine to 600 hp, then in my mind I would want at LEAST as good of filtration as stock, maybe even better.

You're also only getting "600" hp at the top of the rpm range, and even the Aerie intake shows that type of increase by only beginning to work at 4200+ rpm. With that type of system, you can see on the dyno charts there's no difference between the aftermarket and the stock airbox until you get to those higher rpms. That's the difference between what other companies are showing with their products, and what Eventuri is showing. Their dyno shows immediate results right from the start and the gains stay pretty consistent all the way up the rpm range. Rather than waiting until the engine itself is trying to pull more air at higher rpms, the Eventuri system appears to provide more airflow right away, so it's more than just a less restrictive sport filter.
Yes but the aftermarket intakes like in aerie and Eventuri are using their sport filters with their new intake box so to me I don’t think there would be that much difference bc the increase flow is all coming from new less restricted air filters not the intake box itself.

The stock intake filter size looks bigger that both the aftermarket so a better air filter like this could be all that’s needed to get that extra power they are reporting. Idk I just asked myself why JUBU a company that heavily modifies Lotus cars, and make all sorts of aftermarket parts didn’t do a new box and just did a sports filter.
IMG_5035.png

Last edited:
Yes but the aftermarket intakes like in aerie and Eventuri are using their sport filters with their new intake box so to me I don’t think there would be that much difference bc the increase flow is all coming from new less restricted air filters not the intake box itself.

The stock intake filter size looks bigger that both the aftermarket so a better air filter like this could be all that’s needed to get that extra power they are reporting. Idk I just asked myself why JUBU a company that heavily modifies Lotus cars, and make all sorts of aftermarket parts didn’t do a new box and just did a sports filter.
View attachment 44312
Well that's the difference the Eventuri is claiming (and apparently showing). The design of their housing and the way the filter itself directs airflow around and through it is increasing airflow speed. This is the kind of design work you see in jet engine intakes. Without the venturi effect, an intake system is simply a hole in the side of the engine that air can be pulled through by the vacuum of the piston moving down and drawing in air. It's like a syringe that pulls air instead of fluid. There's a lot of attention and work focused inside the valves and chambers of engine heads to increase airflow speed, and the port shapes follow the shape and style of a venturi port. What Eventuri is doing is extending that to the air filter system.

The air filter prevents objects from being pulled into the engine that could cause damage, however in order to do that, they introduce some amount of restriction to the airflow which slows it down. The intake valve that allows air into the engine, is only open for a short amount of time, so the piston can only pull in as much air as is available during that short time. This is what enables the combustion process; air mixed with fuel and compressed, then ignited. You can increase power by either increasing the amount of fuel allowed in during that short window, or increase the amount of air. Superchargers and turbos force more air in which is how they increase the power.

In the case of a stock airbox, it's simply protecting the airstream from contamination, and it's the vacuum pull from the engine that's doing all the work pulling in the air. It looks like the Eventuri system which uses the venturi effect, increases the velocity of the airflow before the engine starts to pull air, so when it does start pulling there's more available to pull so to speak. It can provide more air faster during that short time the intake valve is open. This is why you see an immediate and consistent increase in power and torque all across the rpm band with the Eventuri, versus others which are simply less-restrictive and only help at the upper rpm ranges when the engine vacuum is able to demand more because of the increase in demands per minute.

I know the Eventuri is expensive, but I'm more than halfway towards considering it because I like what it does and the way it's doing it. I especially like the increase in torque right away, which is something I would feel constantly from a standing start, or just normal acceleration in routine driving. I'm waiting to see more real-world tests from independent parties, but so far it looks good.

It's like a syringe that pulls air instead of fluid.
But good sir, air is a fluid.... 😉 We know what you meant.

Some people with V8 Vantages started buying "higher flow this and that" for supposed power gains above the 420/430HP stock. Even when they realized it was essentially the same intake system (with the same exact filters) that was good for 100+ more HP with the V12s. People put their money where they want.

But good sir, air is a fluid.... 😉 We know what you meant.

Some people with V8 Vantages started buying "higher flow this and that" for supposed power gains above the 420/430HP stock. Even when they realized it was essentially the same intake system (with the same exact filters) that was good for 100+ more HP with the V12s. People put their money where they want.
Yep. That they do. I'm one of those people that don't just spend money because somebody made a claim about something. I always check it out; the more it costs, the more carefully I examine.

I've already run the calculations. If the Eventuri does what it's claiming to do, then it's going to slightly improve the mpg because I'll use less throttle to get the same acceleration I'm getting now without it. Even assuming an increase of only 1 mpg, at $4 a gallon, over time it will start to pay for itself. That's a factor to consider. You're not going to get that with just a 'sport' filter in the stock airbox.

Sorry, I am not getting the supposed benefits of this beyond reduction in intake pumping loss due to reduced restriction - a benefit which you only get during WOT. Any other throttle position, the butterfly valve is regulating how much air gets into the engine, and the reduced restrictions from a high flow intake is moot.

Specifically, I don't see what the venturi effect has to do with anything in this intake design. And since we don't have a patent document to review, we don't know what the claimed invention is.

The power gains are usually small on a NA motor but better on forced induction motors. I always ask Is the Juice worth the squeeze, in the end it’s up to the buyers.

Sorry, I am not getting the supposed benefits of this beyond reduction in intake pumping loss due to reduced restriction - a benefit which you only get during WOT. Any other throttle position, the butterfly valve is regulating how much air gets into the engine, and the reduced restrictions from a high flow intake is moot.

Specifically, I don't see what the venturi effect has to do with anything in this intake design. And since we don't have a patent document to review, we don't know what the claimed invention is.
The venturi effect is happening without the engine pulling in air. When the car is moving, there's air being forced directly into the intake on the side of the car. The venturi intake is helping accelerate that, that's the whole point of the venturi effect; it speeds up airflow. Speeding up airflow increases the amount of air that can make it into the combustion chamber. It's a very mild version of what a supercharger or turbo does.

Did you look at the flow simulations they posted of what takes place in their intake?

JUBU said the stock airbox is good for 600 hp just needs a sports filter. They do more testing than anyone I know. So why wouldn’t they change the stock box if it was that bad? So I’m guessing the dyno Eventuri did they used a stock OEM filter vs there set up?

How interesting. Anyone out there got some suggestions? I know GRP have a couple for sale.

The venturi effect is happening without the engine pulling in air. When the car is moving, there's air being forced directly into the intake on the side of the car. The venturi intake is helping accelerate that, that's the whole point of the venturi effect; it speeds up airflow. Speeding up airflow increases the amount of air that can make it into the combustion chamber. It's a very mild version of what a supercharger or turbo does.

Did you look at the flow simulations they posted of what takes place in their intake?
Then venturi effect is that when air moves through a narrowed path, it's velocity increases and pressure drops, and that pressure drop is used to achieve some function.

The Eventuri intake does not make any use of the pressure drop, so there is no venturi effect being utilized as far as I can tell…

Most of the descriptions from Eventuri is talking about reduced air flow turbulence and hence smoother air flow, but it's unclear the effect of this in the overall design versus the reduction in restriction from their use of a more permissive filter element. They don't quantify this in any way. I don't doubt there will be an HP increase, but I would like more information on what makes their design more effective.

Then venturi effect is that when air moves through a narrowed path, it's velocity increases and pressure drops, and that pressure drop is used to achieve some function.

The Eventuri intake does not make any use of the pressure drop, so there is no venturi effect being utilized as far as I can tell…

Most of the descriptions from Eventuri is talking about reduced air flow turbulence and hence smoother air flow, but it's unclear the effect of this in the overall design versus the reduction in restriction from their use of a more permissive filter element. They don't quantify this in any way. I don't doubt there will be an HP increase, but I would like more information on what makes their design more effective.
Obviously any intake isn't going to do anything special until the car is moving, so let's imagine the car is moving. Air is being channeled into the side intake, and the moment it encounters the air filter, that's resistance. That creates pressure at the point of contact, which the air has to overcome by increasing pressure until it can force its way through the resistance to the other side. That's going to slow it down. If you look at the inside of the Eventuri filter, they're using a cone shaped contact point to direct the airflow around and through the resistance pressure point.

Air doesn't like to change direction and loses velocity quickly; anything that it hits while it's moving slows it down. Look at the typical aftermarket filter below on the left. The air is both hitting the flat end of the cone and the paper, as well as changing direction while trying to overcome the resistance of the paper. It's losing velocity by the time it makes it through the filter element.

With their setup, it's hitting that cone instead of a flat end. The venturi shape after it gets through the filter element, gives the venturi effect so the air is losing less velocity than the other type of setup, and there's apparently no other obstacle in the path of the airflow right up to the intake port on the engine. That center piece at the end of the cone is the critical element because it doesn't just stop the air when it hits it, it directs it through the filter, and then prevents backflow vacuum as the air moves past it so the air doesn't slow down.

31975515988_d7679dbff3_b.jpg

Look at the airflow pattern up to, through and after air encounters the filter:

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.41.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.42.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.43.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.42.35 PM.png

The airflow is focused and faster on it's way to the engine. At speed, it's a push/pull system with the engine pulling as the intake is pushing.

This system is assisting airflow into the intake port which is the only way it's going to show more power right away at lower rpms, and consistently so all the way up the range. It's not wildly varied.

I hope we get some third party speed shop videos of installation and testing soon, because this is looking pretty darned good so far.

What I would like to know, is how much HP is produced by just replacing the air filter with a better filter(GRP on for example) compared to replacing the whole box. Ie. Is most of the extra HP due to the filter upgrade, or is the box the main culprit.

What I would like to know, is how much HP is produced by just replacing the air filter with a better filter(GRP on for example) compared to replacing the whole box. Ie. Is most of the extra HP due to the filter upgrade, or is the box the main culprit.
The only way to know would be to do a dyno run with the stock filter, then swap it out with something like the @GRP for example, then do another dyno run. Where I am, it's $200 for 3 pulls on a dyno to get an average, so that would be a $400 test. Maybe GRP would like to do this and post the charts?