Engine speed related squeaking/dry bearing noise?

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hi, a noise has developed over last few weeks and wondered if anyone has similar and had it diagnosed/sorted?

Heard for some time after start-up, it's like a sqeaking or cheeping, chirruping noise. Engine speed related, seems a bit louder under load and still there if clutch dipped and/or in neutral. Sounds a little bit like a dry or worn water pump bearing would but does not sounds as distressed or metallic/mechanical. Could it be a drive pulley or something like that?

Any thoughts and ideas welcome! Other than that, 1800 miles in she is driving like a dream!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sounds like an idler pulley with a bad bearing, or possibly a bad bearing in one of the accessory drive pulleys.

Does the sound change with AC running, or with steering input off center?

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Sounds like an idler pulley with a bad bearing, or possibly a bad bearing in one of the accessory drive pulleys.

Does the sound change with AC running, or with steering input off center?
That's where I was leaning towards, will check both of those suggestions and report back - thanks.

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I sometimes get a bit of a squeal on the Elise from the supercharger belt if it’s got wet. Is that a possibility?

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi, a noise has developed over last few weeks and wondered if anyone has similar and had it diagnosed/sorted?

Heard for some time after start-up, it's like a sqeaking or cheeping, chirruping noise. Engine speed related, seems a bit louder under load and still there if clutch dipped and/or in neutral. Sounds a little bit like a dry or worn water pump bearing would but does not sounds as distressed or metallic/mechanical. Could it be a drive pulley or something like that?

Any thoughts and ideas welcome! Other than that, 1800 miles in she is driving like a dream!
And there we were a couple of weeks ago having a happy conversation about how our Emiras were both trouble free :)

Bit of a shame we are tied to Parks for issues like this under warranty as I suspect Craig Moncrieff just down the road from you in SIghthill would be able to diagnose and fix it very quickly.

petermal57

Reaction score

Do you think it is possible that it is coming from the Engine compressor?
Maybe you can make a Video

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
And there we were a couple of weeks ago having a happy conversation about how our Emiras were both trouble free :)

Bit of a shame we are tied to Parks for issues like this under warranty as I suspect Craig Moncrieff just down the road from you in SIghthill would be able to diagnose and fix it very quickly.
I'm not classifying it as a fault yet Mark! 🤣 Hoping it may be a drive-belt noise as suggested - will run some tests tomorrow.

Fink10

Reaction score
I'm not classifying it as a fault yet Mark! 🤣 Hoping it may be a drive-belt noise as suggested - will run some tests tomorro
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? A few of us are experiencing this with our V6 Exiges, those with the same engines as the Emira, after we put on new drivebelts.

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? A few of us are experiencing this with our V6 Exiges, those with the same engines as the Emira, after we put on new drivebelts.
Sadly not yet! My Emira is currently in for its first service and of course the noise has not manifested itself while it's been in. It is only evident on first start up of the day, once the car is up to temp (10-15 mins running) it disappears, usually for the rest of the day, unless the car gets the chance to completely cool down again. I'll keep you posted - and please let me know if you hear of any clues regarding source of this.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sadly not yet! My Emira is currently in for its first service and of course the noise has not manifested itself while it's been in. It is only evident on first start up of the day, once the car is up to temp (10-15 mins running) it disappears, usually for the rest of the day, unless the car gets the chance to completely cool down again. I'll keep you posted - and please let me know if you hear of any clues regarding source of this.
Hopefully you don't have this, but if it's more of a rattle than a squeak it could be an intake cam pulley VVT mechanism issue. It can happen if there are any oiling issues with the 2GR-FE. That particular issue is detailed in the following deep-dive, which is worth watching about the 2GR-FE generally. We have a much later variant of the motor compared to what he's describing, but the sensitivity to oil pressure and quality remains in all variants. I wouldn't go 10k miles between oil changes personally, I think 5k miles is max on this engine for the kind of load states being generated with the supercharger.

There are a couple of different "squeals/squeaks until it warms up" issues that are covered in different parts of this video. It will give you a few different things to think through.

Last edited: