Emira should have started with 450hp.

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
After reading lots of posts I know that 90% of you are fully content with 400hp in the Emira.
I personally feel Lotus should have at least bettered their latest Evora hp numbers, even offering 435ph to start with.
I've never seen any other manufacturer downgrade their hp numbers on their newest model.
It's a pretty sad day when a slightly tuned hot hatch like the Toyota GR Yaris can out accelerate a $100,000+ CDN Lotus sports car.
If I'm ever going to go to the local dragstrip, I'll have to think long and hard, and probably take my hopefully soon to be GR Corolla if I want the best time.😜
Come on Lotus, if Chevy can offer a manual transmission in their 755hp Corvette C7 ZR1 without it imploding, you can do at least 450hp.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
After reading lots of posts I know that 90% of you are fully content with 400hp in the Emira.
I personally feel Lotus should have at least bettered their latest Evora hp numbers, even offering 435ph to start with.
I've never seen any other manufacturer downgrade their hp numbers on their newest model.
It's a pretty sad day when a slightly tuned hot hatch like the Toyota GR Yaris can out accelerate a $100,000+ CDN Lotus sports car.
If I'm ever going to go to the local dragstrip, I'll have to think long and hard, and probably take my hopefully soon to be GR Corolla if I want the best time.😜
Come on Lotus, if Chevy can offer a manual transmission in their 755hp Corvette C7 ZR1 without it imploding, you can do at least 450hp.
It's not fair to compare the final iteration of a model to the first edition of a completely different car. The first edition Evora didn't have the power the final edition did. It's also worth noting that the Emira has a different market mission and is aimed at a different customer base than the Evora was. The Emira is also their last ICE car, so pouring tons of money into developing a new manual trans for it just doesn't make any sense, especially for an engine they can only use another 4 years. They're not Chevy and they don't have their team, development facilities, or their budget.

Who knows, once racing teams get their hands on Emiras we may see a racing trans developed for it, but I highly doubt it would be a manual.

The Emira is an homage car; last of a breed, last of an era. The electric cars will have the performance you're looking for, but they won't be cheap. However based on the looks of the Evija, they should certainly look good. The big difference will be sound and the mechanical interaction of a manual trans. This is the end of an era; get one while you can, and enjoy it for what it is.

CoryC

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Corvette couldn't even find a way to offer a manual with their mid-engine C8; not a fair comparison. The Emira is not a drag strip car... not sure what it would even be doing there... but the drive and road feel of that car vs. a Yaris is night and day. It really just depends on what you're going for. If you want a barn burner for the drag strip for $100k, get a Tesla Plaid. This car is an improvement on the Evora as a dual threat, more practical/usable daily driver AND weekend road course track vehicle. It's the last of an analog feeling, balanced sportscar, and I for one and super stoked... and there aren't many manual transmission cars our there doing much faster than 4 seconds 0-60... and certainly fewer still in a mid engine layout. I think the car is going to hit the mark in spades! Further... the DCT AMG i4 is likely to be the 0-60 monster of the Emira iterations... but for the purists that came out in force to order the V6 FEs... bring on the manual!

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree 200%. The EMIRA should have had 450 on Launch. Big mistake by Lotus/Geely

This is the only thing that is lacking.

I know the arguments.....

1) It not about the 0-60 blah blah blah
2) not a big difference between 400 and 450 , you really won't feel difference ( yet Porsche has "S" variants with 50hp more for more $$)
3) Lotus has limited funds to develop the engine, blah blah blah , but the I4 in other cars is 420hp.
4) 400hp is plenty enough, blah blah blah, ( sex once a month is also plenty enough)
5) you are a troll if you want more than 400hp.

400 hp weighing 3100-3200 pounds are 15 year old 2005 Corvette and 2005 Ferrari specs.

Nothing like a 2022 car with a 10 year old engine with 15 year old performance.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 6.36.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 6.36.21 PM.png

Last edited:

Elisesquared

Reaction score
Not a single person on this forum is buying, or has bought, their Lotus to go to the drag strip. Notice I said BUYING/BOUGHT. It seems there are a few folks on here that don't really know that driving a Lotus is about the driving experience, not the outright speed.

Also, FYI, Mazda released the ND Miata with less HP than the NC. The Miata is the best selling sports car of all time and has a VERY similar ethos to Lotus. So, what Lotus has done is not unprecedented. Also, 400hp in a 3200 lbs. car is plenty. I personally won't need an extra 35hp to enjoy my car. If you do, then the Emira probably isn't for you.

In addition, if anyone interested in the Emira has anything to complain about, it shouldn't be that it doesn't have 435 or 450 hp, it should be that it's not 2900-3000 lbs. THAT'S the real gripe I have with it.

Last edited:

CoryC

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I agree 200%. The EMIRA should have had 450 on Launch. Big mistake by Lotus/Geely

2) not a big difference between 400 and 450 , you really won't feel difference ( yet Porsche has "S" variants with 50hp more for more $$)
3) Lotus has limited funds to develop the engine, blah blah blah , but the I4 in other cars is 420hp.
4) 400hp is plenty enough, blah blah blah, ( sex once a month is also plenty enough)

400 hp weighing 3100-3200 pounds are 15 year old 2005 Corvette and 2005 Ferrari specs.

View attachment 4343View attachment 4344
Yes... but is there a car with a now current, quality upscale interior with a mid engine, manual transmission and that performance? No. The Corvette is a V8 front engine, RWD vehicle... not really valid for comparison in this discussion... there are plenty of high HP/torque vehicles in the market with that layout if that is what you're going for. The Ferrari is gorgeous even by today's standards, but the interior, even for the time it was made was lacking... not to mention the cost to keep that on the road; Everyday driver? I don't think so. This is what the Emira, and the 10 year old, low maintenance, proven reliable engine offers (while sounding pretty great at the same time). It also offers a driving feel second to little to no other vehicles on the road... the current C8 included. (going by already glowing early reviews along with many Evora 400/GT reviews) It really just comes down to what you're looking for. There are two vehicles available right now that offer the same layout and analog, manual transmission option; Porsche Cayman and Emira. The market is saturated with Porsches... and the performance numbers are very very similar... yet the interior, and feel of having something NOT owned by the masses is what gives this car it's appeal. Combine that with the fact that Lotus cars handle better than most anything else on the road by pure setup, with no gimmicks, and a hydraulic steering system leaves them alone in the game. There is no HP/torque war... there isn't another game in town. They can set the rules... and leave room for their electric cars on the horizon to far out perform this one in the acceleration category, just like many cars on the market with less "feel" already can. Again... to each their own, but this one is for me!!

Last edited:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
In addition, if anyone interested in the Emira has anything to complain about, it shouldn't be that it doesn't have 435 or 450 hp, it should be that it's not 2900-3000 lbs. THAT'S the real gripe I have with it.

Yes, this hasn't been discussed enough. From reading and watching everything Lotus has said in interviews, podcasts, etc. its seems to be that even though it's almost 3100lbs they were able to make a very smooth driving superb handling car. Not as raw as previous models but more refined and with a smooth feel. Effortless performance might I say.

Now, maybe that's what I want to read into their comments. When reviews come out I am looking to see if my perspective is true.

In short, Lotus seems to be explaining what the extra weight has allowed them to do. They aren't really discussing HP.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It does when it adds £10-20k to the price of the car! Because you have to reengineer the transmission, gearbox, clutch, oil coolers, engine bay thermal management, ECU, emission controls and the braking system and traction control system.

But yes, just stick another 50hp on it - easy :)

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's not fair to compare the final iteration of a model to the first edition of a completely different car. The first edition Evora didn't have the power the final edition did. It's also worth noting that the Emira has a different market mission and is aimed at a different customer base than the Evora was. The Emira is also their last ICE car, so pouring tons of money into developing a new manual trans for it just doesn't make any sense, especially for an engine they can only use another 4 years. They're not Chevy and they don't have their team, development facilities, or their budget.

Who knows, once racing teams get their hands on Emiras we may see a racing trans developed for it, but I highly doubt it would be a manual.

The Emira is an homage car; last of a breed, last of an era. The electric cars will have the performance you're looking for, but they won't be cheap. However based on the looks of the Evija, they should certainly look good. The big difference will be sound and the mechanical interaction of a manual trans. This is the end of an era; get one while you can, and enjoy it for what it is.
"A completely different car" are you serious?
Sorry to burst your bubble my friend but the Emira is like 90%+ an Evora.
Same layout, exact same wheelbase, exact same drivetrain, a little wider aluminum sub-frame but same idea etc, oh and did I mention.... it's less powerful. :(
Sure the Emira is a far better looking car, but looks can only get you so far.
It will have a nicer interior and probably drive a little better than the Evora, but unfortunately it might not sound any better.
It is what it is.....not many analog, raw, visceral, manual transmission sports car choices out there these days.
Gotta get'm when we can.
Electric sports cars are such a turn off to me.
So the Emira it is.
Peace.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Oh no...not again. Let's also complain about the color palette, Lotus communication, worse than base Yaris engine, lack of stripe on steering wheel, Corvette Z06XYZ$&&@ sub 2s 0-60, Elise and Exige being true Lotus cars...

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Seriously considering making an “Emira Horsepower” Forum where everyone can debate the meti
Oh no...not again. Let's also complain about the color palette, Lotus communication, worse than base Yaris engine, lack of stripe on steering wheel, Corvette Z06XYZ$&&@ sub 2s 0-60, Elise and Exige being true Lotus cars...
But we will have those dual cup holders though. …one day anyway!

#ForTheCupHolders

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
"A completely different car" are you serious?
Sorry to burst your bubble my friend but the Emira is like 90%+ an Evora.
Same layout, exact same wheelbase, exact same drivetrain, a little wider aluminum sub-frame but same idea etc, oh and did I mention.... it's less powerful. :(
Sure the Emira is a far better looking car, but looks can only get you so far.
It will have a nicer interior and probably drive a little better than the Evora, but unfortunately it might not sound any better.
It is what it is.....not many analog, raw, visceral, manual transmission sports car choices out there these days.
Gotta get'm when we can.
Electric sports cars are such a turn off to me.
So the Emira it is.
Peace.
Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but with the exception of the V6 engine and trans, there's nothing in common with the Evora. All the parts are different; that makes it a completely different car. Just because it's also mid-engine and has a few dimensions that may be the same, it's not an Evora. You could say it's an evolution of the concept, but it isn't even close to being 90%+ an Evora. And as far as being less powerful, according to Gavan, it's faster around Hethel than the Evora. That's with the same engine and trans. The tuned up i4 will be faster than any Evora anywhere.

This is not to knock the Evora, but the unwillingness some display to acknowledge that the Emira is a new and different car is truly amazing.

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
i will say don't even use the new zo6 even close to the emira . The zo6 is a no go you will wait 3 years and maybe get one out of the 100 they will have done . But the new procharger kit for the standard c8 is pretty sick at 627hp and your still at 90kish and you will have a stingray in 6months to a year .

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 4343View attachment 4344

My Crafter has 177 hp and 5300 lbs. Which years Ferrari spec was that again? Maybe we just have to realize that different cars are made for different cases. The Emira is no Supercar whatsoever and will never be. Lotus might have found just the right compromise with the budget they had. If they would have gone for 450 hp, they had to compromise on other things due to the limited budget. There probably even isn't any existing 3rd party manual gearbox on the market that could handle way more torque than the Toyota unit and that you can fit in a transverse mounted mid engine V6 setup. Why should they spend all their budget on that problem for an engine that runs out of production in four years or even earlier and that is questionable to get type approval with 450 hp in the first place? It was just not possible to solve that problem and it would have been hilarious to go that route and blow all the development money for just another 50 hp. If we would have gotten the 2005 Corvettes power to weight ratio, we might have seen the same kind of interior and general quality as well due to lack of money. I prefer things how they are, even if 450hp in the V6 manual Emira would have been great in a perfect world. Sadly the world isn't perfect as we learned in the last months and years.

Last edited: