Emira redesigned by Ferrari/McLaren designer

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted... but Frank Stevenson who designed the F430 and McLaren P1 among others, have put together a modified Emira design.

He did say the changes are more a matter of personal taste and was highly complimentary towards the design job by the Lotus team.

What do you think? Would you prefer this to the actual Emira?

Frank St Emira.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Here's his rationale - personally, I prefer the original Russell Carr design.....

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I prefer the original too, and the fact that the Emira has had such a rapturous reception around the world before anyone has even driven it really says it all. Russell Carr smashed it out the park with the design.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Horrible, I will take the original. To me the Emira is a perfect example of how less is more. Indeed I like cars with a lot of styling, but my preference is simple.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That’s really interesting. I watched Frank’s video a while ago and pretty much agreed with him. But looking at his version again now… it looks as if someone’s bent the car in the middle. And the side inlet looks more like someone’s nostril. Huh…

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I prefer the original. The changes he's made to the side profile make the car look less taut and less athletic.

It's a credit to the Lotus design team that someone of Frank's experience can't improve on it and says his changes are more about personal preferences than anything wrong with the original.

Does Russell get to have a go at redesigning the 720S now? ;)

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Definitely lotus design. Redesign side profile is to swoopy.

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I actually agreed with most of the comments by Frank but his solutions were not that well thought through and certainly did not receive the amount of effort/attention that 720S did.

As good as the original Emira is, I do feel the lines leading to the vent were a bit vague below the rear view mirror. Also the black vent below the front door was a bit too big for my liking.

Overall the Emira is a solid design and holds its own against the Ferraris and McLarens. But I would still love to see more videos like Frank's.

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Original. I think he deadened the whole look. I especially dislike the treatment he did to the bottom door sill. That "pinch" of the Emira (which is basically exaggeration of the Evora) makes the car look super taught and aggressive. His treatment is really staid and safe.

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I too am with the majority and saying the original is best, that rear brake light design he added was just plain ugly

daniel heald

Reaction score
Strange we are all different. I like the side view, it just seems cleaner. The removing of the X to create a smooth flow along the front wing into the door area makes sense to my eyes. As for the rear it is a bit too contrived. Can't wait to see the car in the flesh.

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted... but Frank Stevenson who designed the F430 and McLaren P1 among others, have put together a modified Emira design.

He did say the changes are more a matter of personal taste and was highly complimentary towards the design job by the Lotus team.

What do you think? Would you prefer this to the actual Emira?

View attachment 1520
The only design tip i saw on one of the youtube videos is i wish the breaklights connected seamlessly red across the top instead of having the slight gap at both ends of the tail lights. I think it would look so much better as a solid line across the top when you brake

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The only design tip i saw on one of the youtube videos is i wish the breaklights connected seamlessly red across the top instead of having the slight gap at both ends of the tail lights. I think it would look so much better as a solid line across the top when you brake
But those integrated directionals/turn signals are so gosh darn sexy!