Emira platform to be offered to other manufacturers?

22FE

Reaction score
What does everyone make of a little comment in Car magazine's on-line article from 20 September, about 5 paragraphs in?

"..the two-seat Emira will also fill the gap vacated by the Elise and Exige, partly explaining why it's being offered with both the familiar supercharged Toyota V6 and a turbo four-cylinder supplied by Mercedes-AMG. Helping bolster the business plan, its platform will also be offered to other manufacturers."

Does this mean we could see Emira clones in a few years wearing, and I'm speculating here, "Tesla Roadster 2.0" or "Toyota MR2-electric" badges?

Concerned as an enthusiast and investor that this would dilute the rarity and resale of the Emira if it can be purchased under other nameplates with minor 're-skins' in the near future..

Not likely to be clones as such, as it is the new lightweight bonded aluminium chassis that will be offered to other manufacturers, not the design or the body shape. I think one of the rumoured clients was Alpine

The chassis architecture for the Evora was also offered to partners. I think only Infiniti showed interest, using it as the basis for their prototype Emerg-e hybrid, which sadly never went into production

Offering the platform also often creates opportunities for Lotus Engineering to do consultancy work on chassis design and handling.

What does everyone make of a little comment in Car magazine's on-line article from 20 September, about 5 paragraphs in?

"..the two-seat Emira will also fill the gap vacated by the Elise and Exige, partly explaining why it's being offered with both the familiar supercharged Toyota V6 and a turbo four-cylinder supplied by Mercedes-AMG. Helping bolster the business plan, its platform will also be offered to other manufacturers."

Does this mean we could see Emira clones in a few years wearing, and I'm speculating here, "Tesla Roadster 2.0" or "Toyota MR2-electric" badges?

Concerned as an enthusiast and investor that this would dilute the rarity and resale of the Emira if it can be purchased under other nameplates with minor 're-skins' in the near future..

🤔

From what I’ve read Lotus are already working on their first full EV sports offering due in 2026. The adaptable modular chassis for this can accept batteries either under the pan, or as a block behind the seats, the latter preserving the centralised mass feel and agility of a mid engined car (I think this is the config in the Evija) while the former offering more opportunity for a 4 seat sport setup (Taycan competitor?).

Lotus and Alpine have openly declared (at least according to press releases) that this new EV platform is being shared since the two companies share the same values (lightness, agility, etc over outright pace or power) and purportedly this platform will underpin Alpine’s own full EV A110 replacement offering. Whether this EV chassis is an evolution or revolution from that used in the Emira I don’t know, but I think that’s a moot point since most manufacturers use modular platforms to create highly diverse models - SUV to MPV to 2 door coupe. So if the Emira tub turns up elsewhere I’d strongly suspect it won’t handle and ride like a Lotus unless Lotus are involved!

As Tom E points out, Lotus have a lot of know how and that in itself is extremely valuable in supporting E sports car development across the industry. After all, E cars are heavy and anyone with an understanding of how to reduce weight and then, with the resultant mass, finesse the handling is going to have an advantage. Porsche have already started that journey with the Taycan and the rumours are that the Cayman and Boxter are next for the EV treatment so it makes sense for Lotus (with Geely support) to focus on this market.

From what I’ve read Lotus are already working on their first full EV sports offering due in 2026. The adaptable modular chassis for this can accept batteries either under the pan, or as a block behind the seats, the latter preserving the centralised mass feel and agility of a mid engined car (I think this is the config in the Evija) while the former offering more opportunity for a 4 seat sport setup (Taycan competitor?).

Lotus and Alpine have openly declared (at least according to press releases) that this new EV platform is being shared since the two companies share the same values (lightness, agility, etc over outright pace or power) and purportedly this platform will underpin Alpine’s own full EV A110 replacement offering. Whether this EV chassis is an evolution or revolution from that used in the Emira I don’t know, but I think that’s a moot point since most manufacturers use modular platforms to create highly diverse models - SUV to MPV to 2 door coupe. So if the Emira tub turns up elsewhere I’d strongly suspect it won’t handle and ride like a Lotus unless Lotus are involved!

As Tom E points out, Lotus have a lot of know how and that in itself is extremely valuable in supporting E sports car development across the industry. After all, E cars are heavy and anyone with an understanding of how to reduce weight and then, with the resultant mass, finesse the handling is going to have an advantage. Porsche have already started that journey with the Taycan and the rumours are that the Cayman and Boxter are next for the EV treatment so it makes sense for Lotus (with Geely support) to focus on this market.
Nice one

This is nothing new really. Lotus engineering as a consultant to other manufacturers has been in place for some time, and licensing of chassis design that is a product of that engineering makes good business sense.