• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira insurance in the US

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Here's a new shockingly high quote from State Farm in California -- I emailed back asking if that was a mistake or not. Nope.

image0.jpg

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I did a Grundy quote and the premium is $1153
How did you get grundy to work? when I select 2024 it only says -select- and no cars appear. does not happen with other years.

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How did you get grundy to work? when I select 2024 it only says -select- and no cars appear. does not happen with other years.
I did it on a desktop computer and I guess selected the wrong option at first, had to manually type in make model for 3 cars, they emailed me saying I didnt qualify for the mvp program and their collector division would contact me directly, a few hours later I had the quote in my inbox

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I did it on a desktop computer and I guess selected the wrong option at first, had to manually type in make model for 3 cars, they emailed me saying I didnt qualify for the mvp program and their collector division would contact me directly, a few hours later I had the quote in my inbox
Interesting.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well Grundy is out for me. I wanted to move a 2013 V8 Vantage and the new Emira to them. They asked about the daily drivers for my wife and I, which are model year 2001 and 2015 cars. That disqualified me.

To insure a relatively new car with Grundy (according to person I spoke with), any new car they cover such as a 2023 or 2024 has to be coupled with a daily-driver that is no more than 3 years older. So in this case I would have to get a new daily that was 2021 or later in order for them to cover the Lotus.

If anyone else gets a quote from Grundy with a paired-daily that is more than 3 years older than the Emira, please let us all know. (sometimes "policies" are inconsistent between phone calls...)

Time to check with Cincinnati and I'll let you all know how that goes.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Here's a new shockingly high quote from State Farm in California -- I emailed back asking if that was a mistake or not. Nope.

image0.jpg
I was paying this amount last year for JUST my 2020 m240i with progressive. yeah I was getting screwed. fixed that only a few months ago

I saved 15% or more by switching to geico

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The prices in the UK are also very various so I used a price comparison site. The cheapest being Admiral were £640 fully comp on a V6M and the most expensive was £2650. No guessing the one I picked. Honestly if they all quote using the same data how can they be so far apart and what idiots go for the high end quotes.

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
American Collectors in PA
$1600/year for $110k in agreed value.
Which is almost 1.5% of value.
My other cars on the A/C policy work out to be about .05% of value.
I was told it's so high because it's a brand new model without an insurance payout history to go by.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I gotta get a different quote for my Evora GT. State Farm just upped rates again for us and that's with no accidents or violations. It's nearly $1k/6 months for just the Lotus (and it's been sitting in the garage the last month). :oops:

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was told it's so high because it's a brand new model without an insurance payout history to go by.
Any mileage restrictions?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well Grundy is out for me. I wanted to move a 2013 V8 Vantage and the new Emira to them. They asked about the daily drivers for my wife and I, which are model year 2001 and 2015 cars. That disqualified me.

To insure a relatively new car with Grundy (according to person I spoke with), any new car they cover such as a 2023 or 2024 has to be coupled with a daily-driver that is no more than 3 years older. So in this case I would have to get a new daily that was 2021 or later in order for them to cover the Lotus.

If anyone else gets a quote from Grundy with a paired-daily that is more than 3 years older than the Emira, please let us all know. (sometimes "policies" are inconsistent between phone calls...)

Time to check with Cincinnati and I'll let you all know how that goes.
That sounds frustrating but think of it from the insurance carrier's perspective. I'm sure they have a ton of problems with people getting collector car insurance and then daily driving the car and lying about it. Think about how many jerks are running around with Wisconsin plates to avoid the tax they owe... I'm sure the equivalent behavior is a real problem for insurers. People just lie, constantly. It's stupid and ruins the marketplace for the rest of us.

I'm going to talk to Grundy about a policy even though my daily is a few years older than that cutoff, but the fact that I'm going to be garaging the car in a dedicated storage facility away from my home will likely help the rating.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm going to talk to Grundy about a policy even though my daily is a few years older than that cutoff, but the fact that I'm going to be garaging the car in a dedicated storage facility away from my home will likely help the rating.
For sure! I always figured that underwriting is like being the dad of a thousand children. If you want keep things efficient, it's one rule for everybody and generally based on your worst kids. :(

And in all fairness to the complexity of realities, I have a 6-mile round trip commute on the days I choose to work in the office, while I'll make sure every drive in the Emira is more than 10-15 miles. Because it would be rude not to! And so a yearly mileage slip would probably show that my daily gets less miles. So yeah, there are so many variables and Grundy just wants to draw the line somewhere.

Now I did find a 2021 Mistubishi Mirage on Autotrader for $5,500, so if the other insurers are really gouging, there might be a break even point within a few years! :D

2Lotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What category did you pick with American Collectors? I can't find model year 2024 or Lotus!