EMIRA GT4 Spec Announced

Emira GT4 marks the start of an exciting new era in performance GT racing for Lotus.

Key features include;
- 400bhp / 1260kg (subject to balance of performance)
- 6-speed xTrac with paddleshift + limited slip diff
- 96 litre FIA approved fuel cell
- Motec dashboard and datalogging
- Ohlins coil over dampers / anti roll bards
- Alcon discs and calipers
- FIA compliant roll cage & six-point harness

The culmination of more than 70 years of innovation on the road and track, it marks the start of an exciting new era in performance GT racing for Lotus.

Developed in collaboration with project partner RML Group, the race-ready concept is yet another milestone in the transformation which is taking place in every area of the Lotus business and brand.

Each customer car will be a homologated performance machine, hand-built with lightweight motorsport components and equipment to meet the latest safety regulations.

The Hethel-based development team has focused on precision engineering to deliver outstanding dynamics and high-speed stability. The advanced composite bodywork makes the car exceptionally lightweight and, coupled with Toyota’s race-proven 3.5-litre V6 engine and optimised GT4 aerodynamics derived from the road-going Emira’s advanced exterior design, the Emira GT4 promises to be more than competitive.

Richard Selwin, Race Programme Manager, Lotus, commented: “The all-new Emira GT4 is an exciting next step following the hugely successful launch of the Emira road car. We have worked hard with the team at RML Group to ensure this next-generation of Lotus GT car will deliver race-winning performance.”
The return to world motorsport is a key pillar of the company’s transformation. Earlier this year Lotus Engineering, the consultancy division of the business, became technical partner to JBXE, the Extreme E race team led by F1 world champion Jenson Button.

The Lotus Emira GT4 will be officially launched later this year at an event on the Hethel test track. Lotus aims to build a limited number of Emira GT4 race cars for the 2022 season, increasing production for 2023 in line with global demand

Lotus Emira GT4 two door racing car in green front angle on the race track.jpg
Lotus Emira GT4 two door racing car in green sideways on the racetrack rear view-2.jpg

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Looks great, decent specs and look forward to seeing that racing. Excellent to see Lotus are re-committing to GT4. Gav Kershaw has a decent track record in GT4 so his involvement is good to see. Really positive news.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
WOW! Now I know what model Emira I want 🤩

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I expect that's the same xTrac sequential gearbox as the GT4 Evora, so has been taken to over 450hp. Pricing will be interesting - I think the GT4 Evora was £120-130k in customer race spec.

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! What a surprise to wake up and see this!

Here is the full press release:

Lotus-Emira-GT4_2.jpg

FROM THE ROAD TO THE RACETRACK: LOTUS REVEALS EMIRA GT4 RACE CAR CONCEPT​

• Lotus reveals all-new, competition-spec Emira GT4 contender
• Follows recent technical partnership with Extreme E racing team JBXE
• Hand-built GT4 race car features unique new motorsport livery
• Developed in partnership with RML Group
• Another milestone in ongoing Lotus transformation

(Hethel, UK – 8 September 2021) – Lotus is today revealing an all-new competition-spec GT4 challenger and at its core is the critically acclaimed Emira sports car. The culmination of more than 70 years of innovation on the road and track, it marks the start of an exciting new era in performance GT racing for Lotus.
Developed in collaboration with project partner RML Group, the race-ready concept is yet another milestone in the transformation which is taking place in every area of the Lotus business and brand.

Following the July launch of the Lotus Emira and its dynamic debut at Goodwood Festival of Speed, Lotus and RML Group are committed to writing a successful new chapter in the legendary Lotus motorsport story.

Most recently, that has been via the Evora GT4, which won prestigious races and championships including in British GT, Dubai 24hrs, Barcelona 24hrs, European GT, Sepang 12hrs and the Pirelli World Challenge.

Almost all modern Lotus road cars have had race-ready siblings and the Emira is no exception. Each customer car will be a homologated performance machine, hand-built with lightweight motorsport components and equipment to meet the latest safety regulations.

The Hethel-based development team has focused on precision engineering to deliver outstanding dynamics and high-speed stability. The advanced composite bodywork makes the car exceptionally lightweight and, coupled with Toyota’s race-proven 3.5-litre V6 engine and optimised GT4 aerodynamics derived from the road-going Emira’s advanced exterior design, the Emira GT4 promises to be more than competitive.

Richard Selwin, Race Programme Manager, Lotus, commented: “The all-new Emira GT4 is an exciting next step following the hugely successful launch of the Emira road car. We have worked hard with the team at RML Group to ensure this next-generation of Lotus GT car will deliver race-winning performance.”

Simon Holloway, Commercial Director, RML Group, commented: “We are delighted to be collaborating with Lotus on the all-new Emira GT4 Concept. Both companies have a long and successful motorsport pedigree, and to bring that together at such an exciting time for Lotus is a welcome validation of our vision and values.”

Gavan Kershaw, today the Director of Vehicle Attributes for Lotus but previously a GT championship-winning driver of Lotus race cars, has been involved in the development of the Emira GT4 from the start. He commented: “The all-new chassis on which the Emira has been developed is the perfect starting point for a high-performance race car. Everyone at Lotus is so excited to be returning to world motorsport and to be doing so with such a competitive race car.”

Lotus has been synonymous with racing success ever since the Mark I, a trials car hand-built by founder Colin Chapman in 1948, and the company has pioneered many of the technical innovations which make racing the thrilling sport it is today. The impressive roll-call of honours includes seven Formula 1 Constructors’ titles, six Drivers’ Championships and the Indianapolis 500.

The return to world motorsport is a key pillar of the company’s transformation. Earlier this year Lotus Engineering, the consultancy division of the business, became technical partner to JBXE, the Extreme E race team led by F1 world champion Jenson Button.

The Lotus Emira GT4 will be officially launched later this year at an event on the Hethel test track, the iconic 2.2-mile circuit which has hosted the development of some of the world’s most famous race cars.

Lotus aims to build a limited number of Emira GT4 race cars for the 2022 season, increasing production for 2023 in line with global demand. Interested parties are invited to contact the Lotus motorsport department directly via [email protected]

Lotus Emira GT4 tech spec and target performance data
Engine Toyota V6 2GR-FE
Cubic Capacity 3.5-litres
Power 400bhp*
RPM 7,200rpm
Supercharger Harrop TVS 1900
Transmission 6-speed xTrac with paddleshift + limited slip differential
Fuel cell capacity 96-litres FIA-approved fuel cell
Electronics Motec-supplied dashboard with data-logging + bespoke motorsport loom
Suspension Front and rear double-wishbone / Öhlins coil-over dampers / anti-roll bars
Brakes Alcon discs and calipers + Bosch Motorsport ABS
Tyres Pirelli GT4 265/645×18 (front) and 305/680×18 (rear)
Safety equipment FIA-compliant roll cage, six-point harness and fire extinguisher
Dimensions Length 4,410mm / height 1,290mm / track 1,664mm
Dry weight 1,260kg*
*Subject to balance of performance

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
1260kg!! I wonder where the weight saving is gained from!! A base i4 DCT model stripped out might be just the ticket!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
1260kg!! I wonder where the weight saving is gained from!! A base i4 DCT model stripped out might be just the ticket!
The Emira GT4 with use the V6. Weight savings will mostly be from stripped interior, race spec seats, carbon bits, and "advanced composite body work" panels, etc.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Advanced composite panels and not having 12-way adjustable electric seats

Nick

Reaction score
What materials are the standard panels made of then?
Only information I was able to dig up came from this article, I have not seen anything from official sources though.
"The body is made of aluminum – the expensive composite seems to have been shelved for limited editions"

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Australians will be able to order a GT4 Emira race car spec & get local support to use it
Impressive notice. That Emira and/or spec sheet will be an instant wall poster classic.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Advanced composite panels and not having 12-way adjustable electric seats
Yeah, I hate to think what the FE seats weight - they must be like boat anchors. I'd much prefer simple manual adjustment.

On a positive note, the GT4 bodes well for a light weight road going Emira in the future. I'd have thought they should be able to loose, what, 70 or 80kg compared to the FE without it getting crazy expensive?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah, I hate to think what the FE seats weight - they must be like boat anchors. I'd much prefer simple manual adjustment.

On a positive note, the GT4 bodes well for a light weight road going Emira in the future. I'd have thought they should be able to loose, what, 70 or 80kg compared to the FE without it getting crazy expensive?
Tillett are already looking into a replacment race seat. Steve T is buying an Emira for his own use.

Replace the seats and do a few CF panels and you’ll get a decent weight saving.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Tillett are already looking into a replacment race seat. Steve T is buying an Emira for his own use.

Replace the seats and do a few CF panels and you’ll get a decent weight saving.
Having never owned one before but hearing nothing but positive comments about Lotus handling, would it be fair to say a normal driver wouldn’t really notice the difference in weight saving or is there a notable difference in how the car behaves apart from in outright acceleration?

Is there an obvious change of characteristics between the various Evora versions in handling terms or is it more speed related?