Emira and Quick Jack

MIGZ

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a quick jack but wanted to know if anyone has used it on an Emira yet?

Also wanted to know the distance between the jack points to see if the normal length would work or if I should get the extended length

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm looking to pick up a quick jack but wanted to know if anyone has used it on an Emira yet?

Also wanted to know the distance between the jack points to see if the normal length would work or if I should get the extended length
Is this data in the online Emira Owner manual?

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Used it on Esprit Exige and now Emira but only transversely.

The staggered arrangement of the jacking points make their use a tad challenging until you 'find a way'.

See the use of a small length of timber and a hockey puck on the NSF jacking point.....

IMG_1638.jpeg

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
possibly useable in line with the car but would need a spreader bar front and rear and not sure if anything could be made strong enough with the distance left between to top of the ramp and the soffit/underside of the jacking points. I'll have a look when I get a mo'

Last edited:

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

You might need a crossbeam adapter. I was planning on buying this adapter to try once I get my Emira. Not too sure about the clearance though..
Some more info here...

Last edited:

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks @Toomanyloti for the great image! For our reference, can you let us know which Quickjack model you have? I believe they are available in several lengths.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

You might need a crossbeam adapter. I was planning on buying this adapter to try once I get my Emira. Not too sure about the clearance though..
Some more info here...

might just sneak it under with a 5000 but it will be very tight. I'll go measure later

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I measured 137mm clearance ground to underside on the front points.
The 5000 sits at a very nice and low 75mm so no problem storing them under the car.
The literature states that the crossbeam takes the min height (75mm) to +86mm = 161mm
I would think running the car on to two scaffold boards would give you enough room to use the crossbeams but it seem over kill when its not too much bother to improvise a little...
I have been through the literature and cant see a diagram with a measurement showing what everyone must be concerned with, the min resting heights....

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The jacking points are for use with a point load lifting system. With a platform lift like the Quickjack why wouldn't you just lift by the entire frame rail of the car at once, which spreads out the load without as much point stress?

Sanity check though: Past Lotus cars have been completely flat on the bottom along the sides, for the length of the central chassis module. Is the Emira different in that regard?

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Do the robots in the factory hold up the car by these specific points? Or do they hold the car on a flat plate?

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Do the robots in the factory hold up the car by these specific points? Or do they hold the car on a flat plate?
From this photo, it appears to be supported in six places.
Lotus-restarts-Hethel-factory-tours-after-PS100m-upgrade_02.jpg

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What was your conclusion? I'm thinking I'd have to back it in to lift on a two post. Perhaps symmetric vs asymmetric makes a difference as well.
I have a MaxJax so the arms arent as long as a full size two post which is why im concerned with reaching the front lift inward points that are further away from the car's CG. I laid it out in CAD and I think it'll reach but the CG may be a little aft of perfect. Probably fine and safe but really need the car to see for sure.

A normal 2 post should have plenty of reach. It may matter on the type of lift on how easy it is to open the doors with the lift pillars though.

Callabrator

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would think running the car on to two scaffold boards would give you enough room to use the crossbeams but it seem over kill when its not too much bother to improvise a little...
I have to do exactly that to fit the quick jack under my lowered Supra. I only need an extra ~10mil to clear, so I drive on thin boards beneath each tire

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This highlights the source of my question... I totally get that Lotus has specified the point loading locations where the car should be lifted using a point-support jacking system like a 2 post lift.

BUT... is it an exclusive/explicit requirement? Is it ok to lift the car "flat" as long as those specified locations are fully supported?

See here: Seems like a platform jack like a QuickJack or one of the full size BendPak split platform scissor lifts would be able to engage the entire bottom of the car along the frame rails, if someone wanted. Talking about lifting by the full length of the angled sections of the center chassis, like so:

Emira bottom with rail highlights 1.png

Using something like this:
bendpak-mid-rise-lift-under-clearance__12013.1594275881.jpg

They come with lifting blocks as well (see below), though it would be a touch more challenging with the odd inboard spacing on the Emira because I think it's right at the limit of where a platform would extend to if installed "standard". That's why I'm asking about a full-frame-support approach.

bendpak-mds-6lpf-home-garage-lift__09640.1594275880.jpg

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
These specific measurements would be a super, super useful thing to have on the Emira.
  • Width between the jacking points (both center-to-center and to their outer edges)
  • Width of the main central chassis rails (to their outer edge)
  • Total distance fore/aft between the jacking points (as a straight measurement, parallel with the car)
  • Width of the frame rail box sections around the perimeter (for curiosity's sake)
Does anyone have a car they can put up in the air and record these spacings?

Thanks!

1692724912375.png