• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira alternatives

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
just in case you missed it

Thanks

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So the closest rival to the Emira that I (as in me!) have identified...and what I would have expected from the Emira is the Maserati MC20...

Won Evo car of the year 2022. Steve Sutcliffe's review: "Best car I have driven in 10 years"...I continued watching reviews and everyone says its marvelous, a bit like a lotus, or Alpine A110. An amazing supercar for the road.

So I bought one! Out goes the GT3.
Now Emira needs to be a hell of a good car...other wise it can leave the garage as well.
Have you seen Harry's take on the MC20?

I'm not too sure he really likes it... :oops:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen Harry's take on the MC20?

I'm not too sure he really likes it... :oops:
no, he wasnt keen was he...
grounding out is crazy!.....
many things put me off spending my theoretical 200k on that car... hah

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not at all. Now I know how Harry behaves when he's struggling to find kind words... :ROFLMAO:

But this video leaves me questioning about this EVO ecoty thing and how they make their winners tbh.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So we're ⅓ of the way through January and lotus can't even tell me if my car will be built this month or not.
So I'm going to assume I'll be receiving a delay email at some point who knows, so as there's really nothing new for the money id considerI'm going to start looking at used alternatives. First that's caught my eye is this and only 14mls away.
Not sure what I think of satin but nice contrasting load of gloss carbon. And 602bhp appeals tbh

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The MC20 is not $200 try closer to $ 300. The cheapest I have seen for sale used is $270. Most are $300 plus.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
IMHO, there really isn't an alternative to the Emira. Plenty of options out there, but nothing truly like the Emira. For me at least.

I myself also like the MC20. But at a price of about $100k or less, even if I put the price up to $110 or $120, there isn't really anything I would want aside from an Emira. Maybe by the time we get to $150/160k, I can think of a Mercedes GT Coupe or Aston Martin Vantage. This is because I have no desire for a Porsche. If it weren't for the big stickers on the side of some of the special models, I would have no way to tell that they are special. The exterior design of a car is important to me; exclusivity is also important to me. Porsche is just too common where I live and their bland looks don't help.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Can't believe folks are still benchmarking the Emira against GT3s, Lamborghini, Ferraris and the like.

What's so wrong with a rather affordable car (I see many more expensive teslas here in CA every 5min, like $120k X models carrying children)that is very aesthetically pleasing and that has solid but not amazing performance?

Why does it have to be an ultra hardcore Exige proposition that has proven over and over to be unprofitable?

Why can't folks realize that this is the starting edition and there may be more hardcore ones for a higher price (in tune with avoiding another bankruptcy)?

Last edited:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The MC20 is not $200 try closer to $ 300. The cheapest I have seen for sale used is $270. Most are $300 plus.
I speak about UK pounds of course ;), its where Harry and myself live, in fact we share the house.. haha. Over here and NOT in the USA (its not all bout you guys you know.. haha) its about 220 or so...and not many will pay over the odds over here as its not proving too popular as you can see, within reason

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So we're ⅓ of the way through January and lotus can't even tell me if my car will be built this month or not.
So I'm going to assume I'll be receiving a delay email at some point who knows, so as there's really nothing new for the money id considerI'm going to start looking at used alternatives. First that's caught my eye is this and only 14mls away.
Not sure what I think of satin but nice contrasting load of gloss carbon. And 602bhp appeals tbh

I can confirm that car is absolutely awesome to drive - mine also had the mag dive -You feel like you go round a roundabout at 100mph. totally different league to the Emira probably something to do with the extra 200bhp V10 and all wheel drive. Exhaust sound is amazing. Keep on loud exhaust 💯 % of the time 👌🏼 Also this model exhaust note better than current - that’s when they had to dial it down

Last edited:

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I can confirm that car is absolutely awesome to drive - mine also had the mag dive -You feel like you go round a roundabout at 100mph. totally different league to the Emira probably something to do with the extra 200bhp and all wheel drive. Exhaust sound is amazing. Keep on loud exhaust 💯 % of the time 👌🏼 Also this model exhaust note better than current - that’s when they had to dial it down
I'd heard that about the noise, I actually prefer the styling on this gen as well.

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can't believe folks are still benchmarking the Emira against GT3s, Lamborghini, Ferraris and the like.

What's so wrong with a rather affordable car (I see many more expensive teslas here in CA every 5min, like $120k X models carrying children)that is very aesthetically pleasing and that has solid but not amazing performance?

Why does it have to be an ultra hardcore Exige proposition that has proven over and over to be unprofitable?

Why can't folks realize that this is the starting edition and there may be more hardcore ones for a higher price (in tune with avoiding another bankruptcy)?
100% this. I think many people were hoping the Emira to be something that it simply isn´t and was never meant to be. Supercar looks and (entrylevel?) sportscar pricetag have created an expectation that is just unrealistic. Especially for a company like Lotus that doesn´t (yet? let´s see what Eletre will achieve) have the means to subsidise the sportscar range product and their development. Porsche is clearly developing the GT cars with money earned on the SUVs.

I get if a certain Youtuber buys the car to create attention on the channel. Soon-ish selling the car on quickly is another piece of attention catching content to attract more viewers. Somebody with 54 cars (and a tendency to brag about that number) is probably fishing for attention and working on a new online persona. A Youtuber that nearly has as many cars as followers (90k is not much by todays standards) is obviously at the beginning of his YT career or better at collecting cars than making videos. Maybe also uninformed or not really bothering when it comes to the purchase of a car that he expected to be something that it clearly isn´t (a Lambo competitor or an Exige replacement).

I still firmly believe that Emira is a niche product within a already small segment of the car industry. Low volume manufacturer with old days race heritage who builds a car with class leading (many would agree) looks at entry level sportscar price. As easy to live with as other cars of the same price tag (easier to use than real super cars, also less maintenance cost - but also less engineering marvel and power), but not as exciting as the big boys stuff (which cost often 2x or 3x the money). In a way exactly what the Lotus Esprit was during her days. The more affordable alternative to the real supercars. Never class leading.

But Emiras details like the open gated manual shifter and the aero on the body work are ahead of the competition (= same price tag cars). The fact that it even _has_ a manual option today. Being supercharger based instead of turbo might also be of interest to some enthusiasts who enjoy old school engine tech. The i4 collaboration with a famous performance brand like AMG is an achievement and another first that we should be excited about (...at the cars pricetag). Ok, it still needs to become a real thing (and I would never claim that Lotus did much right when it comes to communication).

In my opinion Emiras downfall in the public eye was it´s own hype, which also came at a time when everybody was in a gold rush to "make money while owning exotic cars". Plus instead of buying lot´s of SUVs and boring cars from big name manufacturers to get on "the list" to be allowed to buy a GT car... everybody was able to sign up for the ride. Everybody felt as if they "made it" into the exclusive circle of future FE owners, for just a couple of grand (or even without any downpayment in some countries). Much easier and cheaper than establishing a relationship with Porsche dealers for years. But the ownership experience is less exciting than the one you get from the other "closed circle" models like Porsche GTs or Ferrari etc.

In the end it always comes to personal preference and what somebody wants to get for their money. If money would not be a factor I would probably buy a Ferrari or a McLaren. But I would not daily this car as much as I do with the Emira. 😁 And that means to me the Emira is a perfect balance of delivering not-boring driving experience - even also in situations where others would have stepped in their ... Golf or maybe 3-series. And compared to that I feel pretty good behind the wheel of my Emira.

Enough from me. I don´t aim to take @emiraspain s role here ... 😁 It´s raining like crazy around here, I´ll walk through the rain for 10 minutes to where I park my car and go for a 10 minute drive to meet with my business partner over a coffee. ☕️

Last edited:

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Theyre almost the default buy when you really want something exotic but don't want the shit that goes with them. For example I fancy a 570s but....
Also to add even though you have 610bhp on tap 🚰 ad can gladly just stomp your foot down and not worry about ending up in a bush - the R8 is very much usable on a day to day basis pootling along in traffic and for such performance I really think the running costs are reasonable.
Also seats very comfortable 👍 well the type I had with the full electric adjustment were - as I had heard these were the most popular v’s the bucket ones not as comfortable and think the back was fixed so not as adjustable

Last edited:

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score

It doesn't have anything to do with benchmarking. When the budget is there, its about choice. Its more about explaining what you hope(d) it to be. It is not about how much it cost, its about the decisions made by Lotus when developing it.

Lotus has an awesome chassis. The car has double wishbone suspension. It rides on Bilstein coil-over. It has amazing brakes. Still the car is underwhelming. With the same layout and components and a LOT LESS MONEY to spent on development Lotus build some amazing cars in the past; e.g. Exige V6, Evora. My expection about Emira was that it would be absolutely amazing one of the best driver-cars that any money can buy! With all deposits and orders down at first viewing, I don't think I was alone. Now it turns out that for me its not what I expected. It could have been, but Lotus made a clear decision in their own right to create something more mediocre that would be liked by more people...the ones who don't appreciate the sharpness and more extreme - pure driver - cars of the past. I totally get that. It wasn't build for a few Lotus addicts...they would not sell enough cars to recover the investment. Many many people I hope will love the new Lotus and buy it. Hope it will create new successes for them.

Because Harry likes the Emira and not so the MC20...for me that's great, because then I know the MC20 is the right choice for me! The Journalists that like (understatement) MC20 I rate very high!

For those that don't get how you can compare Emira with a Ferrari GT3 or MC20...when you have a collection and the budget to buy any car...in the past a Lotus would hold up greatly as it was sooo special to drive. And a welcome alternative in the weekend for a GT3, even at 1/3rd of the cost. I have had a 458 Spider and also didn't like it and sold it within 6 months. Would prefer the Exige V6 over it. That how great Lotus cars are/were in my own experience.

More expensive cars are not always the better car. Love a GT3, as it is in its own universe. Still...its just a 911 and not a 'supercar'.

Last edited:

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It doesn't have anything to do with benchmarking. When the budget there, its about choice. Its more about explaining what you hope(d) it to be. It is not about how much it cost, its about the decisions made by Lotus when developing it.

Lotus has an awesome chassis. The car has double wishbone suspension. It rides on Bilstein coil-over. It has amazing brakes. Still the car is underwhelming. With the same layout and components and a LOT LESS MONEY to spent on development Lotus build some amazing cars in the past; e.g. Exige V6, Evora. My expection about Emira was that it would be absolutely amazing one of the best driver-cars that any money can buy! With all deposits and orders down at first viewing, I don't think I was alone. Now it turns out that for me its not what I expected. It could have been, but Lotus made a clear decision in their own right to create something more mediocre that would be liked by more people...the ones who don't appreciate the sharpness and more extreme - pure driver - cars of the past. I totally get that. It wasn't build for a few Lotus addicts...they would not sell enough cars to recover the investment. Many many people I hope will love the new Lotus and buy it. Hope it will create new successes for them.

Because Harry likes the Emira and not so the MC20...for me that's great, because then I know the MC20 is the right choice for me! The Journalists that like (understatement) MC20 I rate very high!

For those that don't get how you can compare Emira with a Ferrari GT3 or MC20...when you have a collection and the budget to buy any car...in the past a Lotus would hold up greatly as it was sooo special to drive. And a welcome alternative in the weekend for a GT3, even at 1/3rd of the cost. I have had a 458 Spider and also didn't like it and sold it within 6 months. Would prefer the Exige V6 over it. That how great Lotus cars are/were in my own experience.

More expensive cars are not always the better car. Love a GT3, as it is in its own universe. Still...its just a 911 and not a 'supercar'.
This actually makes me laugh. If I was looking for a cutting edge car with unlimited budget, I’d certainly not look at the new Emira sponsored by geely china. If I were you (super wealthy) I’d buy a v6 manual car, gut it and build it to my specs (seats/weight/engine/brakes/wheels etc)
budget (if you must) 85k for the car and 85k for the build. Do this and post it up. FYI the Emira is for this retired guy, full GT. I’m driving this everyday, even in weather. No apologies