Electric seat memory and operation

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mysterious moving seat solved.

Seat operation with door closed - press and hold button to move seat (seat stops moving as soon as you release button)

Seat operation with door open - press and release button to move seat (seat moves until desired setting reached). Note to self: keep fingers clear in this mode!

The memory seat setting also saves the door mirror position.

The answer is also in the manual (page 137), I need to read it again! You don't get a hard copy with the car, you just get the infotainment and service book.

Last edited by a moderator:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Mysterious moving seat solved.

Seat operation with door closed - press and hold button to move seat (seat stops moving as soon as you release button)

Seat operation with door open - press and release button to move seat (seat moves until desired setting reached). Note to self: keep fingers clear in this mode!

The memory seat setting also saves the door mirror position.

The answer is also in the manual (page 137), I need to read it again! You don't get a hard copy with the car, you just get the infotainment and service book.

Interesting. Does the seat automatically move back for easier access then move up as user defined when the door is closed?

I wonder why the buttons act differently depending on if the door is open or closed. Can anyone else test and confirm this?

OP
J

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting. Does the seat automatically move back for easier access then move up as user defined when the door is closed?

I wonder why the buttons act differently depending on if the door is open or closed. Can anyone else test and confirm this?
No, it needs user intervention. If you stop the car, switch off and open the door nothing happens.

Say you have set the buttons as follows:
1) Your preferred driving position for the seat (and mirror position)
2) The seat all the way back for easier egress/ingress

You unlock the car and the seat is in position 2, very easy to get in and as you go to close the door press button 1 and your seat will move continuously to position 1. Close the door and start up, if the seat is still moving, it will continue until it reaches position 1.

Once you stop the car, you open the door and press button 2 and the seat will move back to the predetermined setting, nothing will interupt the movement. It does say in the manual that if something jams the mechanism, it will stop. Having said that, these motors are geared to move the weight of a person so although I jokingly said in my post about keeping your fingers clear, I wouldn't like to get them caught!

I think that the above sequence matches what is described in the car's manual, so I think mine is working as intended.

I am actually quite surprised that in these days of Health & Safety rules, that the seats function in this way. Normally if you have moving equipment there has to be a way to invoke some kind of emergency stop, but there is nothing obvious. It is a very convenient feature, but I would be acutely aware of it if my six year old grandson was around. He had a ride in the car yesterday and thought it was cool! (the car not me!)

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Yes.
Common on electric memory seats on many cars.

If the button is pressed while the door is open the seat moves automatically (and continues to move after the door is closed).

If you close the door first you have to hold the button.

There is some safety reason which I can’t remember.

Edit: Only the memory feature, not automatically moving to aid getting in/out.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes.
Common on electric memory seats on many cars.

If the button is pressed while the door is open the seat moves automatically (and continues to move after the door is closed).

If you close the door first you have to hold the button.

There is some safety reason which I can’t remember.

Interesting. I'm going out to test my power seats in the GTI right now...

Edit - Nevermind, they only have recline power and it's not automatic in any mode.