• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Disappointed that Design won over Engineering for the wheel size

20" all round?

• Total voters

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is it just me that would rather have smaller wheels? They just look too big for the car. Ride will be compromised. Kerbs become more of an issue. 19" rear and 18" front would be my choice.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Im not too worried on the ride, agree it'll be worse than 18/19" but Lotus seem to have a special ability to make cars ride well where others fail, even on bigger wheels. The Touring suspension should help further.
Weight of wheel is also a factor, the lighter wheels again should help, compared to most cars which have 20/21" wheels that are very heavy thats where a lot of ride quality is compromised.
The flip side is it isnt car companies fault that most roads are so awfully maintained

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer smaller wheels too.. as long as they clear the calipers. Smaller wheels are typically lighter and tires as cheaper too. I think the forged 20s look great, but I'd also be fine with 20/19 or 19/18s. Id have to see them on the car and the ride height would have to be properly adjusted too.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not a fan of oversized wheels, but as long as they don't compromise the ride and handling, and are lightweight, then I can live with them.

Having said that, it is a departure from the Lotus norm to have same-sized wheels front and rear, which I think does match Emira's proportions.

Last edited:

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
20" wheels look better. I think it was a good design decision ... as to handling plenty of very good sports cars use them
Porsche 718 Cayman GT4/Wheel size
Front 20″ diameter, 8.5″ width; rear 20″ diameter, 11″ width
4,456 mm L x 1,801 mm mm W x 1,269 mm H
https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman/gt4

Emira
length 4,412mm; width 1,895mm; height 1,225mm;

Mirrors folded on both models (width)

Last edited:

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah, I like the big wheels too. Wheel sizes have grown over the years, and it’s become one way to tell an older car from a new. So it should help the Emira age well.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
LOL, I'm the only one that voted for 19/18 staggered? I just would like to have a bit more compliance on the tire itself. I know I'll lose some "sharpness" but I feel that the tire/wheel combo would perform better overall.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I do love the staggered wheel look, but 19/20 would be smallest I would like.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They're still a bit "staggered" - the rears are 50mm wider.... ;)

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Is it just me that would rather have smaller wheels? They just look too big for the car. Ride will be compromised. Kerbs become more of an issue. 19" rear and 18" front would be my choice.

I thought the bespoked Goodyears and Cup 2s were supposed to help limit the ride being compromised.