- Dec 21, 2021
- Reaction score
- Tokyo, Japan
Thunderbirds are go… But sadly Brains is missing from the Lotus International Rescue Team. Lady Penelope and Parker are arranging parts and Virgil is using Thunderbird 2 for delivery to Europe.So, because I have an October build slot (FEV6Auto, fully loaded) I'm anxious to get a test drive before checkout.....I refuse to buy without a test drive. I called my dealer, this afternoon, and they were convinced they will receive their demo, a manual on sports suspension IIRC, last week of September. Email booking slots for test drives will then be sent in order of build slots.
Quote "things are now happening". They were convinced .......Thunderbirds are Go.
I’m in no rush, be good to just see and sit in one though. They mentioned we should get an invite but I wonder whether the key word is ’should’I reckon in the next 2-3 weeks. I was told the bookings for test drives won’t open until all UK dealers have got at least one car each. So some cars might arrive at dealers sooner but only been available to view initially rather than drive.
Feeling your pain, bought an SLK55 to help ease that pain. Also in the North East so guess your dealer is also Bradford then?I’ve spoken to my dealer today, he is expecting a demo in October, he confirmed colour and its manual. I asked if it’s sport or tourer and he didn’t know. I’m in the North East so bit of a trip for me at 56miles, but August demo has gone to October. But as I have been relegated to 2023 car, with no idea when in 2023 as LCS don’t have a schedule, the excitement and anticipation has been lost, so has the entire 2022 driving season as I sold my Evora400 this time last year.
Imo we (early deposit holders) should have been offered a drive at Hethel before now.These timings are too tight for cars getting made in October- by the time we manage to arrange and get demo ride car could be built so what example if you want to change suspension set up. ( especially for people not close to dealers and restricted to w/e )
If you want to makes changes after test drive you already know that means your delivery will be bumped to 2023.These timings are too tight for cars getting made in October- by the time we manage to arrange and get demo ride car could be built so what example if you want to change suspension set up. ( especially for people not close to dealers and restricted to w/e )
I’m in the north east too (Nunthorpe near stokesley) went to premier at JCT Bradford but ordered through Oakmere (Ex Christopher Neil) Northwich given previous relationship with themFeeling your pain, bought an SLK55 to help ease that pain. Also in the North East so guess your dealer is also Bradford then?
Tom yes tbh I certainly won’t be paying almost £80k for a car that’s not right spec for me. For example if I have chosen wrong suspension hopefully that won’t be the case but I’ve waited this long and during winter it will be just sat in garage anyway. So if it gets bumped into next year then that’s better than living with wrong spec. But with the demos delayed so much now are they really going to get all the timings with customers right - Suppose depends how many need demo before they willing to purchase and of course if car doesn’t excite someone will be getting offered an earlier deliveryIf you want to makes changes after test drive you already know that means your delivery will be bumped to 2023.
I think Lotus mis-set expectations when they changed the UK process on 3rd deposits. Before that, if you were an early deposit holder you had to accept you were in a pre-launch process and would have to commit without a test drive. That’s not for everyone.
By removing the need for the 3rd deposit (back in Jan for first deposits) and switching to 30 day commitment, Lotus in effect told almost everyone they could test drive before committing.
It’s probably helped them avoid a load of deferrals and cancellations. But now many people aren’t comfortable with committing without a test drive and won’t be happy if they want to change spec and get bumped as a result.
This is still a pre-launch process for anyone with UK delivery in months 1
and 2, longer if you want to be able to make changes.