Dashcam for the Emira

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is anyone thinking of getting a dashcam for their Emira?

I had an AUTO-VOX V5PRO OEM Mirror Dash cam on my Evora 410 Sport and was really pleased with it as the view through the carbon fibre louvres was very restricted and it didn’t have a reversing camera fitted. This mirror came with a reversing camera and it automatically activated when you put the vehicle in reverse. I had it professionally installed so not sure on details of connections etc. The camera costs £245 from Amazon and I think I paid around £250 to get it fitted in 2020 at my local car audio installer who did a great job.
I expect that the rear view for the Emira would be much like any other car and of course it has a reversing camera.
I suppose one of the benefits of the digital mirror is that the dashcam is built in, so it looks much neater. I got used to the digital image very quickly as at first it does seem strange to be looking at a camera image after you have spent years of driving looking in a mirror. The only downside for the V6 Emiras is that you won’t see that linkage move on the engine when you accelerate!
What are general thoughts on dashcams, are they worth having?

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On a related point, does anyone know where the 12v socket is located in the cabin for connecting a dashcam?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The show car had a USB C in the roof panel - hope they kept that....

Good spot! I was thinking the roof panel was a good place to splice into the wiring but hadn't seen a USB socket. Maybe that's it at the bottom of this picture (ie the front of the car):

Roof interior panel.jpg

There's also a USB socket under the shifter, forward of the exposed linkage. I don't have a clear picture of it on the V6, but it's the same place as on the i4:

Image-1_2000px.jpg

I haven't seen the 12V socket in any pictures or in real life. It wasn't under the shifter or in the armrest bin on the blue or grey show cars.

It might be further forward of the lower USB port, under the dash (Evora has one there) or behind the armrest bin. The Evora has one there, which makes more sense as it's in the rear of a 2+2 but makes less sense in a 2-seater. Is this it, just visible as a flip-up cover behind the armrest?

IMG_7627.JPG

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I saw it on the grey car at Goodwood - didn't check the blue one.... Scott mentioned it to me as a great bit of thinking... I hope they didn't remove it

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The show car had a USB C in the roof panel - hope they kept that....
wait... what?! I could swear I looked for one during the roadshow, for exactly the purpose of wiring a dash cam without the palaver of running all the way across the windscreen, down a pillar, etc.

was probably just blind with excitement, to be fair... :D

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Is anyone thinking of getting a dashcam for their Emira?

I had an AUTO-VOX V5PRO OEM Mirror Dash cam on my Evora 410 Sport and was really pleased with it as the view through the carbon fibre louvres was very restricted and it didn’t have a reversing camera fitted. This mirror came with a reversing camera and it automatically activated when you put the vehicle in reverse. I had it professionally installed so not sure on details of connections etc. The camera costs £245 from Amazon and I think I paid around £250 to get it fitted in 2020 at my local car audio installer who did a great job.
I expect that the rear view for the Emira would be much like any other car and of course it has a reversing camera.
I suppose one of the benefits of the digital mirror is that the dashcam is built in, so it looks much neater. I got used to the digital image very quickly as at first it does seem strange to be looking at a camera image after you have spent years of driving looking in a mirror. The only downside for the V6 Emiras is that you won’t see that linkage move on the engine when you accelerate!
What are general thoughts on dashcams, are they worth having?
presuming that the Emira mirror bracket is the same as the Evora, will the supplied OEM Auto Vox fittings work, or did you need to request an additional one ?

OP
J

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
presuming that the Emira mirror bracket is the same as the Evora, will the supplied OEM Auto Vox fittings work, or did you need to request an additional one ?
No, the OEM fitting doesn't fit, but it is a straightforward process to get the one needed. If you purchase through Amazon, you use the ask the seller a question feature to contact them. You send a photo of the bracket on the window and they send you the necessary adaptor. I recall that the adaptor arrived in just under three weeks as it comes from China via China post (I am in the UK).
I wonder if the Emira will use the same bracket mirror as the Evora or whether it may be a Geely parts bin version?
It all worked out well for me as the installer I used was super busy at the time and it was three weeks before he could install the wiring anyway. I arranged for him to make all the connections so that I could simply plug the mirror in when the adapter arrived. By chance the bracket arrived the day after the wiring installation and I was up and running.
To remove the original mirror, it simply slides upwards off the bracket (in the Evora), there is no retaining screw, it is what I would call a friction fit, so needs a little gentle pressure. The new mirror fits in the same way, but does have a small grub screw to help secure it. Hope this helps.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m sure I’ll be installing a dual channel camera with a supplemental battery for parked recording.
Me too, but without a screen (just the SD card or maybe auto upload). Which would be better for the rear camera; inside the cabin, or in the engine bay?

The mirror type screens seem nice, but don't want to duplicate what the camera included in the Convenience Pack already does using the integrated screen.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
No, the OEM fitting doesn't fit, but it is a straightforward process to get the one needed. If you purchase through Amazon, you use the ask the seller a question feature to contact them. You send a photo of the bracket on the window and they send you the necessary adaptor. I recall that the adaptor arrived in just under three weeks as it comes from China via China post (I am in the UK).
I wonder if the Emira will use the same bracket mirror as the Evora or whether it may be a Geely parts bin version?
It all worked out well for me as the installer I used was super busy at the time and it was three weeks before he could install the wiring anyway. I arranged for him to make all the connections so that I could simply plug the mirror in when the adapter arrived. By chance the bracket arrived the day after the wiring installation and I was up and running.
To remove the original mirror, it simply slides upwards off the bracket (in the Evora), there is no retaining screw, it is what I would call a friction fit, so needs a little gentle pressure. The new mirror fits in the same way, but does have a small grub screw to help secure it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has this been confirmed by anyone at the factory tour yet?
Not by anyone on factory tour, but it was answered on another thread (perhaps one about goodwood) that NO it doesn't have USB C in the roof panel unfortunately

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's right, confirmed by me on the Goodwood update thread that there is no USB or other socket in the roof panel. There's obviously power provided to that panel, so it should be possible to tap into it. But a shame the port hasn't been retained.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming. I wonder why that didn't make it to production.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What it doesn't say (that I saw) is if that's an always on port so that you can do parking mode on the dash cams that support it, I'm guessing it's not and turns off with the ignition 🤔

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What it doesn't say (that I saw) is if that's an always on port so that you can do parking mode on the dash cams that support it, I'm guessing it's not and turns off with the ignition 🤔

99% certainty that those USB cables are only hot during ACC on.

You'll have to hardwire to a constant on w/ battery voltage monitor or hardwire to an external battery that charges on a 15amp ACC fuse. I checked the fusebox manual and it wasn't detailed enough to lead to any insights on what fuse I may want to use. That'll be a trial and error process for me later :)