Multiple item install, suggestions?

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey all -- I get my car on Tuesday and since I can't drive it too much until I get the PPF done (which won't be until the 14th) I am going to take the time to wire the things I need to into my car. I have a Uniden R8 radar detector, a 3 way dashcam (RedTiger F17), and then a wireless phone charger (which I'll do something a little custom as folks here have).

That said, my tentative plan was to install the dash cam into the USB near the rear view mirror, the radar detector to the mirror tap I've seen that apparently should work (open to suggestions), and then the magsafe charger to the USB below the gear linkage. I know there's some power behind the glove box, but not sure that I need it for this.

Appreciate any thoughts!

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
IMO mirror tap for radar detector is the way to go if you care for things looking neat.

As far as the camera, I personally plan to hard wire it so I can use it's parking mode features (and because I don't like cables showing)

And for the magsafe charger, that usb port does not provide enough power to effectively charge the phone wirelessly. You'd have to add a USB power supply for that.

Congrats on getting the car! You will be on the same boat I was not being able to drive it much until PPF is done. It was hard lol

OP
Shyatic

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My only worry with the dashcam being hard wired is the battery drain. Any thoughts on that?

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Depends on how you wire it and what camera you are using. If you don't care for parking mode then just make sure you tap a fuse that is only active while on ACC or IGN. This would be essentially the same as using the USB port by the mirror.

If you do want to use parking mode just make sure you understand the camera's requirements. For example the VIOFOs hardwire kit comes with a little hardware voltage monitor that will turn the camera off if it senses the vehicle's battery goes below a certain voltage. Blackvue cameras have a configurable setting built in them that allows them to do the same.