DARK VERDANT!?

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From what I could gather, the 2 piece (FE Standard, extra on base) are made from a 2 stage casting. The centre is more lightweight alloy(?) for less unsprung weight, and the outer disc steel. They are a single unit that cannot be unbolted for replacement unfortunately.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
These type of 2-piece rotors won't visibly rust in the way that you are fearing, except possibly at the very outer edge (vent facing). Unlikely though. The rotor hat won't rust at all, it's a semi-permanent machined item.

Your BMW (I have one too) uses single-piece cast rotors that are inexpensively coated on the hat with a silver paint, and they begin to develop cosmetic oxidation after about 6mo to 1y, particularly if parked outside in the rain.
I personally think this won't be an issue, but if you are going to be parking your Emira outside for long periods (like over winter) there are some sprays you can use on the rotor to protect it a bit while stored. It MUST be washed off well before driving though... fair warning.
Super! my cars are garaged generally so it sounds like it’s a non-issue. Super helpful response thanks! 👍

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From what I could gather, the 2 piece (FE Standard, extra on base) are made from a 2 stage casting. The centre is more lightweight alloy(?) for less unsprung weight, and the outer disc steel. They are a single unit that cannot be unbolted for replacement unfortunately.
This has become a trend in "factory" 2-piece rotors unfortunately. They usually aren't a different design from the aftermarket ones from the same companies (Brembo, AP Racing, etc), but they use single-use permanent fasteners between the disc section and the hat. I don't know if it can be drilled out and replaced with the bolt system or not. Might be worth exploring for someone who does a lot of track days and goes through rotors regularly, but only if they already had a drill press in the garage and a willingness to scrap the pieces if it didn't work. A gamble.

Spacey

Reaction score
DV with black gloss wheels. Note the subtle difference between the green and lower black pack (Even under LED lights)
DV1.jpg

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Super! my cars are garaged generally so it sounds like it’s a non-issue. Super helpful response thanks! 👍
Don't thank me until it's proven true! All iron alloy rotors will oxidize a little, but it depends on a number of factors as to whether it's visible enough to be cosmetically undesirable. If you're parking indoors you're way ahead of the game. Controlling humidity in that space is a big part of the outcome... if it's not climate controlled, consider adding a dehumidifier to cut the water in the air on rainy days.

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
DV with black gloss wheels. Note the subtle difference between the green and lower black pack (Even under LED lights)View attachment 5234
I saw a few DV cars at Hethel yesterday (inside under factory lights & outside in full sun & cloud cover).
It was so stunning that I changed my order from Hethel yellow to DV.
Prior to seeing the cars yesterday I was worried that DV would be so dark that it would lose the distinction between green & black pack & therefore appear as one big dark blob, but it really didn’t at all. In fact, what surprised me the most was how DV helped to show off the lines & shape of the car. This point was backed up by the Lotus guy who drove the car over to show us on the tour.
The closest image which represents how DV looked outside yesterday (to my eye) that I’ve been able to find is this…
0601E3FA-E959-474D-A63E-766F6AC1B065.jpeg

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Looking at these especially with the darker rims it makes the brake rotors stand out so much. Given they are not ceramic I’m concerned that as they age/rust it will really be an eyesore on an otherwise beautiful build. Any thoughts on this? Really wish ceramics were an option - I despise brake dust and rusty brakes.

DV with black gloss wheels. Note the subtle difference between the green and lower black pack (Even under LED lights)View attachment 5234
Am I the only one wishing the black wheels were a satin finish like on the Evora rather than gloss? A minor point perhaps, but it's all in the detail :)

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm regretting my DV spec, now locked in to DV + silver wheels, it looks so good with black wheels. I suppose I could always aftermarket them black. Also full black pack, but I think it'd look better lower only. :confused:

But doesn't matter too much since I'm planning on spending more time inside driving than outside looking and frankly don't want any additional attention!

ARA

Reaction score
More of these?
Someone shared this with me. DV in direct sunlight...looks pretty green. May help with decisions for those unable to see the car. Disclaimer-I can't vouch for its accuracy in the photo though.

Attachments

• 20220505_111413.jpg
    20220505_111413.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 102

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'm regretting my DV spec, now locked in to DV + silver wheels, it looks so good with black wheels. I suppose I could always aftermarket them black. Also full black pack, but I think it'd look better lower only. :confused:

But doesn't matter too much since I'm planning on spending more time inside driving than outside looking and frankly don't want any additional attention!
I may get DV, and I was always 100% black wheels, now I am thinking diamond cut. So, we can trade we get bored with is current color 😄

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score

No regrets Frazzer, it's never too difficult or much hassle to have the alloys refinished. In the UK it's anywhere from £200-400 to have all 4 refinished depending on what you want. Get excited!

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I saw a few DV cars at Hethel yesterday (inside under factory lights & outside in full sun & cloud cover).
It was so stunning that I changed my order from Hethel yellow to DV.
Prior to seeing the cars yesterday I was worried that DV would be so dark that it would lose the distinction between green & black pack & therefore appear as one big dark blob, but it really didn’t at all. In fact, what surprised me the most was how DV helped to show off the lines & shape of the car. This point was backed up by the Lotus guy who drove the car over to show us on the tour.
The closest image which represents how DV looked outside yesterday (to my eye) that I’ve been able to find is this…
View attachment 5236
Now this is the kind of news we like to hear. Taste is so subjective, so you can never really know if it'll fit your own mindset... But saying that, everyone's concern with the darkness of DV being dull and losing the lines. It's nice to hear it shifts so dramatically and is so interesting!

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Now this is the kind of news we like to hear. Taste is so subjective, so you can never really know if it'll fit your own mindset... But saying that, everyone's concern with the darkness of DV being dull and losing the lines. It's nice to hear it shifts so dramatically and is so interesting!
Indeed. It looked like a constantly shifting mirror to me and really accentuated the curves. It's also worth considering that the car was dirty and hadn't been polished. The chap from Lotus said it looks even better when it's clean!

EmiraMike

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Indeed. It looked like a constantly shifting mirror to me and really accentuated the curves. It's also worth considering that the car was dirty and hadn't been polished. The chap from Lotus said it looks even better when it's clean!
Here's another image for comparison. DV looked very similar to this in terms of finish, but a bit darker & sleeker...
Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 19.25.07.png

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I may get DV, and I was always 100% black wheels, now I am thinking diamond cut. So, we can trade we get bored with is current color 😄
trade sounds good, but a big pond to cross between us!

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Don't thank me until it's proven true! All iron alloy rotors will oxidize a little, but it depends on a number of factors as to whether it's visible enough to be cosmetically undesirable. If you're parking indoors you're way ahead of the game. Controlling humidity in that space is a big part of the outcome... if it's not climate controlled, consider adding a dehumidifier to cut the water in the air on rainy days.
Live in Florida with basically 100% humidity. So yah…. Not sure I can convince the wife we need to AC the garage to keep my rotors from rusting but I guess I’ll start preparing the case….

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Live in Florida with basically 100% humidity. So yah…. Not sure I can convince the wife we need to AC the garage to keep my rotors from rusting but I guess I’ll start preparing the case….
…and would you not agree that you deserve a heat & humidity free walk from the interior of our beautifully air conditioned home to our impeccable new vehicle my dear?

I rest my case your honor.

#ForTheWifesHair

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts