Convince me to order this thing

Lotusa

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was super excited to order this car until I came here and started reading horror stories about poor quality control and customer service (that is evidently a hallmark of the brand). On paper, the Emira wins out over a Cayman GTS 4.0 for me, but I don’t want a car that is constantly in the shop and/or super expensive to maintain. I’ve owned and loved the Cayman GTS 4.0, but it isn’t ideal when you live at altitude and often drive to 10,000 feet. And the Emira just looks so much better and comes in my dream color (verdant green), whereas Porsche charges $15k for paint to sample.

So what say you?

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Welcome to the forum!

Most people don’t post about great experiences, but they post about issues. These issues get repeated and exaggerated by others and turn into horror stories. It is also the first model year, so issues are somewhat expected.

I have owned an Evora GT for 2 years. I could care less about Lotus CS. My relationship is with my local Lotus dealership. If you have a local-ish dealership and a second car, I wouldn’t worry much. Reason I said a second car is because it does take a while for the Lotus dealerships to receive certain parts and most don’t provide loaner vehicles.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Hello everyone! I was super excited to order this car until I came here and started reading horror stories about poor quality control and customer service (that is evidently a hallmark of the brand). On paper, the Emira wins out over a Cayman GTS 4.0 for me, but I don’t want a car that is constantly in the shop and/or super expensive to maintain. I’ve owned and loved the Cayman GTS 4.0, but it isn’t ideal when you live at altitude and often drive to 10,000 feet. And the Emira just looks so much better and comes in my dream color (verdant green), whereas Porsche charges $15k for paint to sample.

So what say you?
If it's your only car, no.

rich64

Reaction score
Don't listen to the negativity on here.
I picked up mine yesterday here in Auckland New Zealand, after placing a deposit in July 2021.

The quality of the interior is very good, about 90% of Porsche Quality.
The presence of the car is just outstanding, the amount of thumbs up I have received in the past two days blows me away.
The exhaust sound is really really good, better than the 992S I have recently been using.
Steering outstanding...
I have had one issue, where the hill start assist does not disengage and I have stalled the car twice. I guess this will get fixed with a software update.
Am I happy with this purchase, fu$k yes....

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve had 3 Lotus Elises. One problem in 16 years. Just as reliable as the wife’s VW Golf.

Nothing will put a smile on your face like a Lotus does.

Most people, when asked in later life about the regrets they have, state the only things they regret are things they never did. Do yourself a favour and buy a Lotus.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I've owned many Porsches. Have had the Emira for about a month now, and I'm loving the change. It's a breath of fresh air.
As someone else said above, the interior quality is about 90% of Porsche, but I'd argue that every time you drive the car it's much more of "an event". It feels much more "special" than a Cayman or a 911.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Being a Porsche fan and owner, the Emira is a bit more special. No contest vs GTS 4.0 IMO. As for quality, yes the earlier cars had their issues, but getting into the second year of production will see the majority of these issues rectified by the factory. I have confidence in cars built in calendar year 2024+.

Production started in mid 2022 and there has been a lot of effort on Lotus' part to get the car sorted.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

So what say you?

I've driven the car on multiple occasions, including on track. It's worth it.

You have to go into this like you're buying a baby exotic, expecting that there will be fewer dealers and fewer parts IF that's an issue. That's been a Lotus reality for decades, and people still adore their Elises, Exiles and Evoras.

Set those expectations accordingly (and don't expect a white glove Porsche experience) and all that's left is a hell of a car.

The problems seen on the forum are concerning, but I saw the exact same thing take place ahead of my Tesla and Jeep 4XE when those models first came out and I ended up loving both cars.

I have faith Lotus will sort the serious issues before the cars reach North American shores.

OP
L

Lotusa

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies everyone! It certainly seems like a lot of the negativity is due to the massive delay in production, so it is great to hear that those who have received their cars are loving them and not experiencing major problems. I do have a dealer nearby in Denver, but I think the comment about this being a "baby exotic" is spot-on, particularly if the company isn't even making ICE cars for much longer. This will be a second car for me, but if I'm spending this much on a car then I don't want it sitting in a shop half the time either.

Ultimately, I'm probably going to throw caution to the wind and give it a go as it really does tick all the boxes for me. And I agree that Porsche just isn't all that exciting or special anymore. I sold my PDK Cayman 4.0 because I wanted a manual, but the gearing is so long that it kind of defeats the point. I've test driven 991 and 992 generation 911s and thought they had more in common with a Panamera than a sports car.

Logoman

Reaction score
If you're so risk averse I don't know why you'd be even thinking of purchasing any high performance car.

OP
L

Lotusa

Reaction score
If you're so risk averse I don't know why you'd be even thinking of purchasing any high performance car.
I’m not risk averse, but I’m also not stupid enough to waste a $120k on a car that’s just going to be an endless pain in the ass. I’ve personally never heard of anyone buying a brand new high performance car who had to actually return it for a refund because it was riddled with problems that the manufacturer couldn’t resolve—as has been reported by many on this forum. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but not sure how asking for more end-user experience disqualifies me from owning a sports car.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m not risk averse, but I’m also not stupid enough to waste a $120k on a car that’s just going to be an endless pain in the ass. I’ve personally never heard of anyone buying a brand new high performance car who had to actually return it for a refund because it was riddled with problems that the manufacturer couldn’t resolve—as has been reported by many on this forum. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but not sure how asking for more end-user experience disqualifies me from owning a sports car.
Only two I’m aware of.

Faults and fixes are a reasonable concern if you live 2+ hours from a dealer. By year 2 of production I expect it will be a very different picture to the first 6-9 months.

Finbarqs

Reaction score
I would say, it's like there are 10 bags in front of you: Each bag will bring you joy and happiness like you've never experienced before. 1 Bag will bring the opposite. Will you still chance it? That's what the Emira's like. Unfortunately, unlike Porsche (or any other car company) Lotus customer support lives by that philosophy also: "You know what you're getting. Don't come to us if you get that one bag...." This is the gamble you take with your 120K.

Eddmac

Reaction score
Every car brand I have ever owned have produced good cars and bad cars. I had a new Mercedes where the gearbox imploded. I had a new BMW where the drivers door kept dropping and not closing properly, among many other issues (that car was a s**t box). I also have a Range Rover Velar SVAD that is among the most reliable cars I have ever had and the longest I have ever owned a car. People post on the internet when they are pissed and people that are happy don't, it's human nature and well known. Buy your Lotus and be happy.

meenboli

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Every car brand I have ever owned have produced good cars and bad cars. I had a new Mercedes where the gearbox imploded. I had a new BMW where the drivers door kept dropping and not closing properly, among many other issues (that car was a s**t box). I also have a Range Rover Velar SVAD that is among the most reliable cars I have ever had and the longest I have ever owned a car. People post on the internet when they are pissed and people that are happy don't, it's human nature and well known. Buy your Lotus and be happy.

Well said 👌

All car companies have many problems - and generally, because of the volumes, the problems are repeated many times.

I have an Audi S5 Cabriolet, that I've now had for 12 years since new (had and still have others inbetween).

I love it and somebody will have to prise the steering wheel out of my dead fingers - it will never be for sale.

I have remapped it, changed the exhaust, and stuck on a shrunken supercharger pulley, done when it was just 3 years old and out of warranty.

It had 333hp stock - and now pokes out exactly 500.

That's a big jump - and the performance is electrifying (not electric I must stress! - probably not welcome here 😁).

So on that basis - I fully expected it to explode 💥 at some point, but it never has - it's been impeccable and faultless all that time. Still has the same wiper blades on, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it.

My point here, is that the Multitronic gearbox is notorious for going wrong - but the average person who's never experienced it would never know - for me, it's almost a miracle of design - for others, an expensive nightmare.

Things sometimes go wrong - and sometimes they don't.

Get one bought 😎

Attachments

• MTC.JPG
    MTC.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What do you get if you cross the best engine makers in the world with the best handling car makers in the world? ....The Lotus Emira I4.. I am buying mine as a piece of art work. If it drives well then thats even better. Waited a long long time and sacrificed a lot to finally get one.
Nice one, great video and the best colour choice! (y)