Convertible anyone?

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Had a quick Google and didn't really see anything on this, apologies if it's been discussed before...

I'm a bit intrigued to see if there are any plans for a convertible, I'm not sure how the aluminium cell compares to prev gen exiges and Elise's, in whether there's enough structural rigidity to chop the roof off without too much weight and reinforcement. But sure would be nice to drop the roof, let some (rare) sun in and hear some more noise on occasions.

Has anyone heard anything re: plans for a drop top of sorts? Heck I'd even love a panoramic roof (weight + center of gravity blasphemy I know, but really transforms a car I find). I had a 911 GTS with a retractable pan roof and that was one of the stand out things that would give all kinds of happy feels.

Likewise I know it's not the same with carbon fibre monocoque and whatnot, but I have always been blown away by McLaren's spiders. To this day, 600LT spider has been the best car I've ever driven (even over the 720s and GT3 RS).

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Had a quick Google and didn't really see anything on this, apologies if it's been discussed before...

I'm a bit intrigued to see if there are any plans for a convertible, I'm not sure how the aluminium cell compares to prev gen exiges and Elise's, in whether there's enough structural rigidity to chop the roof off without too much weight and reinforcement. But sure would be nice to drop the roof, let some (rare) sun in and hear some more noise on occasions.

Has anyone heard anything re: plans for a drop top of sorts? Heck I'd even love a panoramic roof (weight + center of gravity blasphemy I know, but really transforms a car I find). I had a 911 GTS with a retractable pan roof and that was one of the stand out things that would give all kinds of happy feels.

Likewise I know it's not the same with carbon fibre monocoque and whatnot, but I have always been blown away by McLaren's spiders. To this day, 600LT spider has been the best car I've ever driven (even over the 720s and GT3 RS).
Actually I was kind of disappointed that the roof panel on the Emira was not removable like on the Exige.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I would absolutely love one.

The writing on the wall suggests Not unfortunate

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus have said no convertible or targa Emira is planned.

Although in theory the Emira has an 8-year model life there are various factors that could shorten that, and a few that might extend it. They need to focus on getting cars out and, if demand is there, getting the volume up with a second shift.

A roofless model would need much more engineering and approvals work than doing a GT430/450 of the hard top, so they'll focus on the hot versions as the next variant. My guess is for 2024.

Remember too that the Type 135 EV sportscar is due in 2025 and will also be built at Hethel. If demand for that takes off, I could see a situation where they might switch production capacity away from Emira. That might mean doing a Final Edition V6 and then only doing i4 Emira versions.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus have said no convertible or targa Emira is planned.

Although in theory the Emira has an 8-year model life there are various factors that could shorten that, and a few that might extend it. They need to focus on getting cars out and, if demand is there, getting the volume up with a second shift.

A roofless model would need much more engineering and approvals work than doing a GT430/450 of the hard top, so they'll focus on the hot versions as the next variant. My guess is for 2024.

Remember too that the Type 135 EV sportscar is due in 2025 and will also be built at Hethel. If demand for that takes off, I could see a situation where they might switch production capacity away from Emira. That might mean doing a Final Edition V6 and then only doing i4 Emira versions.

My guess is that the V6 Emira will end production to make way for the Type 135EV. This would give the V6 Emira a ~4 year production life covering 3 models - FE, Base and a GT/Cup last hoorah.

The factory will then focus on priority production of T135 vehicles with the remaining manufacturing capacity being used to build "legacy" T131 AMG engined Emiras.