Caterhams and self-build

Scruff111S

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
ok fair enough.....
Its a mystery then..... but after their initial mistakes and lotus showing a 100% non flexible approach to changing even the tyres they put on a car without an x month delay, I guess at least we know where we stand with them....and thats precisely in the middle of a cow pat.
I'd give you my slot if I could...as in reality I have to say I am far more excited and looking forward to getting the Caterham now than the Emiras, there is little comparison at the thought of getting into one and the other, unless its raingin... but the Emira delivery is not going to be more than a few days earlier or later than your's anyway.
Thank you. I have had 2 Caterhams over 8 years used as a daily. First a used 1700 super sprint, then I built from the kit a R300, a great experience to build it. Which spec Caterham are you having and are you building yourself. I did look at another Caterham when thinking of cancelling the Emira, but was told it was an 11 month wait. And unlikely Lotus, the build schedule is done in deposit order. They were more than a little surprised to hear of the Lotus method of names out of a hat.

Thank you. I have had 2 Caterhams over 8 years used as a daily. First a used 1700 super sprint, then I built from the kit a R300, a great experience to build it. Which spec Caterham are you having and are you building yourself. I did look at another Caterham when thinking of cancelling the Emira, but was told it was an 11 month wait. And unlikely Lotus, the build schedule is done in deposit order. They were more than a little surprised to hear of the Lotus method of names out of a hat.
I dont have to decide spec until about 2 months before.. unlike lotus.....
However, I will go for a 420..NA for sure... had turbo's and no comparison for power curve or sound....
Think I will go Race spec, although I doubt I will race it...

Colour is my main question..... thinking riviera blue... never had a blue car... yet...1st Emira us however blue, but no matter...

I dont have to decide spec until about 2 months before.. unlike lotus.....
However, I will go for a 420..NA for sure... had turbo's and no comparison for power curve or sound....
Think I will go Race spec, although I doubt I will race it...

Colour is my main question..... thinking riviera blue... never had a blue car... yet...1st Emira us however blue, but no matter...
Are you going to build it yourself? I have to say it is a great experience building one. Yes, I like blue myself. My S2 Elise was Magnetic Blue. There are a couple of 420's at Oakmere, an s and an r. I was considering them myself with what is going on at Lotus.

Are you going to build it yourself? I have to say it is a great experience building one. Yes, I like blue myself. My S2 Elise was Magnetic Blue. There are a couple of 420's at Oakmere, an s and an r. I was considering them myself with what is going on at Lotus.
I would like to build it, but no dont really have that option..... and also want to enjoy it in the summer... asap... if i build it, hell may freeze over before I enjoy it....

I would like to build it, but no dont really have that option..... and also want to enjoy it in the summer... asap... if i build it, hell may freeze over before I enjoy it....
Honestly when you first press the starter button and drive the car you have screwed together yourself, that feeling is amazing. It took me 9 days to build it, in my view, worth every second.

Honestly when you first press the starter button and drive the car you have screwed together yourself, that feeling is amazing. It took me 9 days to build it, in my view, worth every second.
thats pretty...very quick....
I really dont have anywhere to do it though.... delivered in UK...I dont live there... needs to be taken to spain... then transported back to be registered etc etc....
I'll stick to the yellow LEGO caterham and feel smug about it.. haha

thats pretty...very quick....
I really dont have anywhere to do it though.... delivered in UK...I dont live there... needs to be taken to spain... then transported back to be registered etc etc....
I'll stick to the yellow LEGO caterham and feel smug about it.. haha
Well i didn't have anywhere to build it, but a friend has a double garage, so i built it there. Can't you get the kit delivered to Spain?

Well i didn't have anywhere to build it, but a friend has a double garage, so i built it there. Can't you get the kit delivered to Spain?
I imagine I could, but then I'd have to ship it back for registration...IVA test etc...
Toooooo much hassle .... I get them to leave the bonnet catches undone when I collect it.... that will be my build effort, latching them down :).
I only have one friend with a double garage in the UK.. I dont move in high circles... or even round circles...

I imagine I could, but then I'd have to ship it back for registration...IVA test etc...
Toooooo much hassle .... I get them to leave the bonnet catches undone when I collect it.... that will be my build effort, latching them down :).
I only have one friend with a double garage in the UK.. I dont move in high circles... or even round circles...
Ok, have you had a Caterham before? Have you had a test drive in a 420 S or R? My R300 was well fast enough for me.

Ok, have you had a Caterham before? Have you had a test drive in a 420 S or R? My R300 was well fast enough for me.
we're going to be chucked out into the pub... but I dont even know how to find that thread..... topic...whatever.

Ive had a westfield... 180Hp zetec.... and wanted just a bit more power.....
then had a sport 250 with an ecoboost fantastic engine, but turbo and not the same feeling or noise.
So pretty sure the 210 Hp of the caterham will be perfect.
Bit worried about the narrow pedal box as all westfields from 199x were wide bodied and there I had room for my feet. In the one narrow bodied caterham I drove, a 620, I found it very narrow... and I am by no means fat.... I mean, Im pretty much a model of a man, i mean Im pretty much Iconic.... and I have an Iconic 5 :)

I'd say 360 is sweet spot in current range not sure you need a 420
Im not sure why you have a GR with that seat on stilts..... but I keep my nose out of your business...
haha..sorry... you know underneath all the sarcasm and hate speech.... I've come to think of you like a brother...and hence thats why I dislike you intensely ...

this could happen to you... would be the same thing.... :)

Well seriously, I have had the 180 HP 500kilos and although it was at high altitude, hence less power..and bad attitude, hence less polite.... it didnt quite feel fast enough.. like the feeling you will get in a few weeks in the Emira ;).
Thats why I want the 420.. I think it will be a keeper...
until it needs its MOT after 3 years then means I have to trek back to the UK every year in it... and hence a part exer

we're going to be chucked out into the pub... but I dont even know how to find that thread..... topic...whatever.

Ive had a westfield... 180Hp zetec.... and wanted just a bit more power.....
then had a sport 250 with an ecoboost fantastic engine, but turbo and not the same feeling or noise.
So pretty sure the 210 Hp of the caterham will be perfect.
Bit worried about the narrow pedal box as all westfields from 199x were wide bodied and there I had room for my feet. In the one narrow bodied caterham I drove, a 620, I found it very narrow... and I am by no means fat.... I mean, Im pretty much a model of a man, i mean Im pretty much Iconic.... and I have an Iconic 5 :)
Even the guys at Caterham say a 620 is perhaps a bit extreme. A 420 S or R is a good choice. If i had cancelled the Emira i would have a 420R. Just a thought, if you do find the S3 a bit snug, there is also the SV version. Both my Caterhams were S3. I have been in a SV version round Oulton Park and there is much more room in it. And more space in the footwells. Also, the composite race seats in the R are very tight. I am quite slim but even i had to loose 20 pounds in the 3 months waiting for the kit to be delivered. I dont know, you would have to be quite mad to wait that long for a car.🤣🤣 Oh wait a minute, 3 years and counting.

Last edited:
Even the guys at Caterham say a 620 is perhaps a bit extreme. A 420 S or R is a good choice. If i had cancelled the Emira i would have a 420R. Just a thought, if you do find the S3 a bit snug, there is also the SV version. Both my Caterhams were S3. I have been in a SV version round Oulton Park and there is much more room in it. And more space in the footwells. Also, the composite race seats in the R are very tight. I am quite slim but even i had to loose 20 pounds in the 3 months waiting for the kit to be delivered. I dont know, you would have to be quite made to wait that long for a car.🤣🤣 Oh wait a minute, 3 years and counting.
Yes I may have to go SUV, I mean SV version... but it looses its proportions a bit and doesnt look as "cute", but maybe with a wider track it has a better turning circle... or not...
I dont mind a narrow seat..... never been into those big ass's .... haha
I will maybe drive the Emira when it arrives.... to Caterham and sit in a few.... before deciding. I guess final date for decision making will be around May 2023... similar to when AUTO box emiras will come into the fold.... I'd say

Yes I may have to go SUV, I mean SV version... but it looses its proportions a bit and doesnt look as "cute", but maybe with a wider track it has a better turning circle... or not...
I dont mind a narrow seat..... never been into those big ass's .... haha
I will maybe drive the Emira when it arrives.... to Caterham and sit in a few.... before deciding. I guess final date for decision making will be around May 2023... similar to when AUTO box emiras will come into the fold.... I'd say
Yes in my opinion also, the SV version does not look as good as the S3. Also, quick tip, get yourself a very short flat screw driver. You will need it to remove the nose cone. For the screws underneath. Bit of a pain to be honest.

Yes in my opinion also, the SV version does not look as good as the S3. Also, quick tip, get yourself a very short flat screw driver. You will need it to remove the nose cone. For the screws underneath. Bit of a pain to be honest.
thanks.. had the same thing with the westield..a no. 10 ... ratchet one saved me many hours.... but why o why they put the screws in the most stupid places is beyond me....surely a design change over 50 years could make life a lot easier :)

Yes, moved to this new thread in Off Topic. It's still car-related, so gets its own thread rather than being added to the Hethel Arms :)