Catch can

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Has anyone installed, or is considering installing, a catch can/air oil separator?

Does anyone know if there’s a kit available for the Emira? I know multiple options exist for the Evora.

Thanks.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is there any history on the 2GR-FE that shows the need for one?

OP
C

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not any specific issue that I’m aware of that is unique to the 2GR-FE, just to supercharged engines in general.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not any specific issue that I’m aware of that is unique to the 2GR-FE, just to supercharged engines in general.
That's for cars that have an aftermarket supercharger, that started out naturally aspirated and have PCV systems that can't handle boost.

This car has a supercharger from the factory, so the crankcase breather system is designed for positive pressure.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's for cars that have an aftermarket supercharger, that started out naturally aspirated and have PCV systems that can't handle boost.

This car has a supercharger from the factory, so the crankcase breather system is designed for positive pressure.
Meaning that Lotus has modified the breathing system that they get from Toyota?

OP
C

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have read that even performance focused factory supercharged cars often have enough oil blow by that the addition of a separator will collect a significant amount of oil.

Obviously the car will still run without one, and is designed to, but it seems this is a very straightforward way of keeping the intake tract, including the supercharger vanes, clean.

I don’t mind a bit of extra maintenance, it all that means is periodically emptying a catch can.

OP
C

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It may be akin to a magnetic oil pan plug- not strictly necessary, but even if it works “a little” it still works.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Meaning that Lotus has modified the breathing system that they get from Toyota?
Yes, they would have had to. That doesn't mean *all* the oil vapor is efficiently captured, but it's way better than it would have been on a standard 2GR-FE.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have read that even performance focused factory supercharged cars often have enough oil blow by that the addition of a separator will collect a significant amount of oil.

Obviously the car will still run without one, and is designed to, but it seems this is a very straightforward way of keeping the intake tract, including the supercharger vanes, clean.

I don’t mind a bit of extra maintenance, it all that means is periodically emptying a catch can.
That's true of all factory forced induction vehicles. Emissions requirements on all modern motors force manufacturers to scavenge the oil vapor back into the intake tract so that it can go through the engine and be burned in the combustion process. Turbo and supercharged vehicles have more positive crankcase pressure, so they push more oil vapor into the breather lines.

A catch can is certainly a better method than a plumb-back PCV, but "Joe Normal" can't be trusted to maintain such a thing, so it's impossible to put one of those on a production vehicle. Total non-starter as a concept, for a production car.

OP
C

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I come from background of very heavily modified Mustangs and other domestic cars, so an extra maintenance step isn’t a big deal for me.

I understand that the factory can’t expect Joe Average to do anything beyond putting gas in the tank.

If it were readily available, I would have a methanol injection system installed on my incoming Emira too. Not to push the timing and gain power, but just for improved cooling and reduced chance of detonation. I live in a very hot and humid climate.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As soon as something is available I will be buying it. I had a Peugeot 406 Coupe with a supercharged 3.2 V6. I installed a catch can and every 1000 miles I emptied out about 50ml of nasty oily sludge. It Might not seem a lot but it’s better than going back into the engine.

GRP

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Some guys have adapted the Radium kit to the Evora 400/GT. It would be the same for the Emira minus the mounting.
Check it out and the link to the video on our site: Evora Radium catch can kit