Best Michelin Pilot Sport tyres

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I thought I’d start a thread on tyres but thought it wiuld be easier to stick with the most popular manufacturer for sports cars being Michelin. At least that way any comparisons from independent testers or dealers wouldn’t be biased as not comparing other rival brands.

I this was a good place to start and is current:

OP
Speedy Emira

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To add a bit more to the comparisons I found this really interesting one for the Cup 2 vs the Cup 2 Connect.
Previously I thought this was the same tyre but with sensors to send data back to a phone app, but found the following:
1. Deeper tread
2. Better performance in the wet
3. Totally new tyre that performs better

Mind you on the downside the tyres cost more and the system is nearly £500 even if you fit it yourself.
IMG_5655.jpeg

OP
Speedy Emira

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Cool.

Lot's of good information at Tire Rack too:

I’ve had the 4S many times and thought it to be a great tyres. I had Cup 2 more recently so the Cup 2 Connect look good if they are truly better and also in the wet. I added the tyre price picture because I noticed they were a special Lotus tyre, although I dont know of any models using them.
£1450.00 plus fitting and £500.00 for the Connect unit is a lot of money though.

OP
Speedy Emira

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I found this which really surprised me when considering we’re weather performance.

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Perhaps this has no place on this thread, however I'm interested in purchasing replacement ALL SEASON tires for the Emira, since I plan to daily drive it from spring (once the snow disappears and temperatures stabilize) to fall (before snow arrives). I'm interested in knowing what's recommended for speed rated ALL SEASON tires for the Emira street driving, what people buy and how they've been for handling and road noise. Where I'm from, summer tires are only truly safe during the warm summer months. That said, I'm admittedly safety-conscious due to my job and want good stopping distances and corner traction, with colder temperatures. Maybe current Lotus (Evora?) owners will have some advice about this.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are genuinely usable down to 40deg F.

Below that, all season like a Pilot Sport A/S, or ultra sport winter tire like the Pilot Alpin or Dunlop or Conti.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Perhaps this has no place on this thread, however I'm interested in purchasing replacement ALL SEASON tires for the Emira, since I plan to daily drive it from spring (once the snow disappears and temperatures stabilize) to fall (before snow arrives). I'm interested in knowing what's recommended for speed rated ALL SEASON tires for the Emira street driving, what people buy and how they've been for handling and road noise. Where I'm from, summer tires are only truly safe during the warm summer months. That said, I'm admittedly safety-conscious due to my job and want good stopping distances and corner traction, with colder temperatures. Maybe current Lotus (Evora?) owners will have some advice about this.
This guy on YouTube does the best tire (tyre) testing comparisons.

The trick is going to be finding all-season tires in our sizes for the Emira.

OP
Speedy Emira

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This guy on YouTube does the best tire (tyre) testing comparisons.

The trick is going to be finding all-season tires in our sizes for the Emira.
For me I’d sooner not drive in the cold or wet and get a better handling tyre. Safety is important so when caught in the rain I drive much slower and carefully. Saying that my last car had Cup 2 tyres which were fine in the wet if driven responsibly.

Adding this video to the Michelin tyre thread was to show that the Cup2 Connect was still great in the wet and as previously mentioned out performed the standard Cup2 in both wet and dry conditions.

I’ve just found a well known online supplier selling 245/35/20 Cup2 Connect tyres for £128 which I’m just going to attempt to buy because it must be a mistake.

Superman

Emira Owner!!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Temperature is a huge factor. That test video linked above was at 25-27C (77-80F) ambient temps, i.e. hot!! At temps much lower, say below 7C (45F) , it would be a VERY different story indeed.

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
These were the tyre of choice for the M3 community and it transformed mine. The temps rarely drop below freezing in the south of the UK and I found these outstanding. The Pirelli P-Zeros the car came with were awful in the cold/wet. It will be interesting to hear from people who switch their Emira to these in time.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
These were the tyre of choice for the M3 community and it transformed mine. The temps rarely drop below freezing in the south of the UK and I found these outstanding. The Pirelli P-Zeros the car came with were awful in the cold/wet. It will be interesting to hear from people who switch their Emira to these in time.
I did change last year the Cup 2´s un the Evora 410 Sport for PS4S. Drastic difference in the rain and cold weather. To me they are the best compromise, although Goodyear´s F1 in the Emira are as good

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your planned use of your car. If you plan on only using it within range of home, then something like a Cup2 Connect makes sense. However if you plan on taking your car on road trips, you need to be able to handle whatever weather conditions you encounter. An all season or even a 3 season tire is just more sensible in that regard. Michelin Pilot Sports are excellent tires that work well across a wide range of conditions. They have excellent performance characteristics, and good tire life too.

My car will come with the Goodyears on it, but I'll definitely consider Michelin when it comes time to buy new tires.

Last edited:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've driven the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's in ~14F snow, 110F desert, and even triple digit speeds on the salt flats, and was amazed at their performance in all conditions. I'd guess probably 90% the grip of PS4S's while still being livable in lower temps and fantastic in the rain. A true all season performance tire. They come in Emira sizes too.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've driven the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's in ~14F snow, 110F desert, and even triple digit speeds on the salt flats, and was amazed at their performance in all conditions. I'd guess probably 90% the grip of PS4S's while still being livable in lower temps and fantastic in the rain. A true all season performance tire. They come in Emira sizes too.
I have them on my BMW and they're excellent.