Any other young buyers?

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Trend, yes, of course. But obsolescence? Are we becoming like Rush’s Red Barchetta? If so we’ve got 50 odd years. I’ll be too old to drive by then.
I'm just waiting until this EV craze comes to it's logical end. Power grid overload. We aren't ready for this. It's all political nonsense IMO.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm just waiting until this EV craze comes to it's logical end. Power grid overload. We aren't ready for this. It's all political nonsense IMO.
Eventually things will progress into a direction we can’t predict; until then things like Porsche’s net zero fuel that runs in regular HPSC engines is a more likely candidate. Probably as an additive. Pretty cool stuff.

DeLongWay

Reaction score
As seems common with many forums related to cars in this price range, the demographics seem to skew a bit older.

Nothing wrong with that, but just wondering if there are any other young (20's) buyers in here?

A few questions:

1. What is your intended use case? I am (perhaps too optimistically?) planning to daily the car, given that I don't have a family to drive around and drive solo 99% of the time. It seems that for many of the older depositors, the Emira is more of a weekend toy. I live in SoCal and don't drive too much outside of a 10 mile round trip daily work commute and some weekend driving, so I hope that it is feasible. If not, likely planning on picking up some sort of used SUV to supplement the car.

2. How do you think the insurance shakes out (particularly if you are in the US). I drive a 2 series right now, have had 2 tickets (both like ~10 over, sue me) and the insurance is already brutal. I am hoping that with a few more years of age and clean driving record during the deposit period that the jump isn't too high.

Would welcome any other discussion!
Hey, 23 here, I’m intending to keep as a daily driver for the next decade maybe 15 years, definitely will need to PPF it.
I live in San Francisco so I’m a bit worried about driving on some hills definitely don’t want to scrape anything, insurance shouldn’t be too bad after turning 25 but I’d expect 280-400 for full coverage a month.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yes, im 53 and my high performance cars cost me in that range, for 5,000 miles package. Los Angeles......
I’m sub 8,000 miles. Biggest difference would be uninsured motorist coverage but LA and Dallas are both big ass metros so prob even there as well.

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey, 23 here, I’m intending to keep as a daily driver for the next decade maybe 15 years, definitely will need to PPF it.
I live in San Francisco so I’m a bit worried about driving on some hills definitely don’t want to scrape anything, insurance shouldn’t be too bad after turning 25 but I’d expect 280-400 for full coverage a month.
Wow - 23 and buying an Emira - that’s pretty awesome! When I was 23 I had a ‘72 VW Beetle that I bought for $600 and a ‘78 Dodge van that I bought for $500. I’m beyond thrilled to be now getting an Emira at 55 (maybe 56…). Congrats on getting there 32 years ahead of me! 😀

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Wow - 23 and buying an Emira - that’s pretty awesome! When I was 23 I had a ‘72 VW Beetle that I bought for $600 and a ‘78 Dodge van that I bought for $500. I’m beyond thrilled to be now getting an Emira at 55 (maybe 56…). Congrats on getting there 32 years ahead of me! 😀
I bought my first new car at 23 as well. Wasn’t a Lotus, a Saturn but ya know, basically the same thing 😃

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m in the Bay Area too and State Farm quoted me over $300/mo for an Evora GT, I suspect the Emira will be similar. Difference is I’m 40 and have 25 years of driving on record — you should ask your insurance company for a quote.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m in the Bay Area too and State Farm quoted me over $300/mo for an Evora GT, I suspect the Emira will be similar. Difference is I’m 40 and have 25 years of driving on record — you should ask your insurance company for a quote.
Ins is high there because of the crime. Shame really

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ins is high there because of the crime. Shame really
Insurance rates are high for a number of factors, the single biggest determinant is average claim cost. High labor cost metros contribute to high repair cost.

Beyond that I’m not interested in playing the anti California politics game with anyone on this website. Thread is about young Emira buyers — recommend saving the politics for your Facebook friends.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Insurance rates are high for a number of factors, the single biggest determinant is average claim cost. High labor cost metros contribute to high repair cost.

Beyond that I’m not interested in playing the anti California politics game with anyone on this website. Thread is about young Emira buyers — recommend saving the politics for your Facebook friends.
Dallas is $1400 yr. Wasn’t bashing California was mentioning insurance costs. Texas has high uninsured drivers as a % of claims so we pay higher premiums for that coverage. Texas also allows insurance companies to recover a portion of claims paid through premium add-ons, Cali does not.

Last edited:

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well for what it's worth, after meeting up with you a few weeks back in Wilmington I totally had you pegged in your mid 40s or somewhere thereabouts so you're doing something right!!!

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It is a good birthday present, this year in mine I went to see the car in person
Attached photo 😉

View attachment 24641

I was reading that currently the factory is running at 90% more or less surely on your next birthday it's your turn to enjoy it :)
Ya know, I was against the black pack at first on my Yellow spec, but on red it’s not half bad.

HydroJim

Reaction score
Put my deposit down when I was 26. I'm 27 now. According to the current schedule, I should get a car before I turn 29.

Right now I have an Elise for fun and a Mitsubishi Mirage as my scoot around town car. I'm not currently planning on getting rid of either so the Emira will just be another option in the garage for driving to work, gym, dates, etc.

underhill

Reaction score
30 years old here, coming here from a 718 GTS (bought in 2019). I’m a sucker for small light weight sports cars. This will be my toy and have a 2023 civic sport as my daily and a 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

summerrally

Reaction score
I'm 22 from the US. We don't have snow to worry about so it will be a bit easier to own. I want to take it on road trips across the US to every state and make a b-roll type of video featuring the best locations. I'm not planning on going to Alaska and Hawaii just yet. It should be a 48 video series. But thats just a fun project.

I want to drive it around as much as I can. It will depend on what I'm doing that day for work. I put on over 100k miles in the last 2 years on my current daily, a Tesla Model 3.

I'm not too worried about the insurance. It is what it is. Worth it for the Emira. I was never drawn so much into the Lotus brand until the Emira debut. The Evora GT was too rough inside to be a comfortable car to drive a lot. The Emira seems to have fixed that.

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just turned 16 with a driving permit. The Emira will be my first car. 🧢
Thank god for Lotus delaying until 2024. This is a perfect time for me since I will turn 18. I believe my insurance will go from 400/month to 399/month. Thank you Lotus!!

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There will be no young "buyers" in the US, by the time these cars actually get here. Waiting on Lotus is like dog years.