❔ QUESTION Am I an idiot if I skip PPF?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a Nimbus Emira.
I've driven it 400 miles.

I now want to add exhaust and other fun stuff.

But I just don't really want to PPF it.
It costs a lot of money, and I want to break this car in instead of dropping it off at a place and waiting for them to dick around with it for a week.

And if a few rocks hit it now and then.. does it really matter?

I mean its not a dark car (rock chips show up much more on dark cars) and I am not putting 100k miles on it...

Do you ever feel we're overconcerned about PPFing?

Or am I an idiot?

Last edited:

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Also..mine really needed paint correction done to it (lots of swirls). The dealer was going to take care of it, but I just opted to let my local guy take care of it all.
Did you get yours at Nashville too? I saw my car when they first got it. Had almost no swirl marks etc. When went back a few weeks later they had wiped down or washed it again, had even move of them. When took delivery it had significantly more. I dont have much confidence in their 'detail' guys at Nashville. Lucky you didnt let them do paint correction. I turned down the offer too after seeing evidence of their skills.
Luckily they all came out with minor paint correction when did PPF.

tnbuilder

Reaction score
Did you get yours at Nashville too? I saw my car when they first got it. Had almost no swirl marks etc. When went back a few weeks later they had wiped down or washed it again, had even move of them. When took delivery it had significantly more. I dont have much confidence in their 'detail' guys at Nashville. Lucky you didnt let them do paint correction. I turned down the offer too after seeing evidence of their skills.
Luckily they all came out with minor paint correction when did PPF.
Yes! I did. They were going to have someone else off site do it that supposedly is pretty good. I am in Cookeville and there is a shop here that does really good work. I have had my trucks PPF'd...not as extensively though. Yea, I would have been glad whoever tried to correct the car had never touched it.

Honcho

Reaction score
I find the price for PPF install absolutely ridiculous, but would recommend getting the area below the side vents protected as stones fly up from the front tyres to that area. I bought some film myself and was pretty easy job to do if you get the right stuff. Personally I've never had the need for front protection as I find it's not necessary if you don't drive close to the car in front of you.

tnbuilder

Reaction score
I find the price for PPF install absolutely ridiculous, but would recommend getting the area below the side vents protected as stones fly up from the front tyres to that area. I bought some film myself and was pretty easy job to do if you get the right stuff. Personally I've never had the need for front protection as I find it's not necessary if you don't drive close to the car in front of you.
I get what your saying...but for me I do not want to have to worry as much about it. If I want to get on the interstate when speeds are higher and rocks bounce longer...it is purchased peace of mind...yea probably a little ridiculous. I would try some smaller areas, but mine needed so much correction and I figured just leave it to the professionals and get it all done at one time.

Bear Dalton

Reaction score
I don't think PPF is absolutely necessary to do unless you are racing it. A ceramic coating I believe is a must though. We even do the wheels with ceramic graphene, although the wheels don't get the warranty aspect of it. Lotus New London Offers PPF installation and/or Simonize Glasscoat Ceramic Graphene coatings prior to delivery of your new Lotus vehicle. We have information and pricing transparently available on our website too. I figure, with so many customers asking, may as well lay it out there for them.

SJones

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a Nimbus Emira.

It costs a lot of money, and I want to break this car in instead of dropping it off at a place and waiting for them to dick around with it for a week.

I mean its not a dark car (rock chips show up much more on dark cars) and I am not putting 100k miles on it...

Or am I an idiot?
Yes

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am not, I had a car that had PPF issues, swore I would never use again. It was painful and stressful to remove. I plan to put a ceramic coating on myself, not sure which one yet.
Adam's Polishes is currently offering 30 percent off of graphene products. I'm very happy with the ceramic coating outcome.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a Nimbus Emira.

Or am I an idiot?
I don't think PPF is absolutely necessary or that you're an idiot for skipping it.

However, I did get mine full PPF for the following reasons:
(1) I plan on keeping the car for the long haul. This is likely the first and last true sports car that I will buy. I want to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible.

(2) It won't be a no rain, sunshine only car. I will drive it on the highway and maybe the track too, and it will be subjected to bird poop, road debris, pebbles and rocks, etc. PPF gives me some peace of mind for minimizing damage to the paint.

(3) Although I'm not abusive to any car, or negligent, I'm not the kind of guy that vacuums and polishes the car after every time I take it out. A bug smear might sit on the car overnight (gasp!)

In some ways, I feel like the PPF lets me relax and enjoy driving the car rather then sweat minor nicks and scuffs. If it gets a little scratched despite the PPF, oh well.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't think PPF is absolutely necessary or that you're an idiot for skipping it.

However, I did get mine full PPF for the following reasons:
(1) I plan on keeping the car for the long haul. This is likely the first and last true sports car that I will buy. I want to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible.

(2) It won't be a no rain, sunshine only car. I will drive it on the highway and maybe the track too, and it will be subjected to bird poop, road debris, pebbles and rocks, etc. PPF gives me some peace of mind for minimizing damage to the paint.

(3) Although I'm not abusive to any car, or negligent, I'm not the kind of guy that vacuums and polishes the car after every time I take it out. A bug smear might sit on the car overnight (gasp!)

In some ways, I feel like the PPF lets me relax and enjoy driving the car rather then sweat minor nicks and scuffs. If it gets a little scratched despite the PPF, oh well.
100% what he said. I drove my Nimbus for the 2nd time today, heard all kinds of gravel kick up near filled potholes and just thought "yep, you're covered". I selected 3rd and pressed on with a smile. 😁