❔ QUESTION Am I an idiot if I skip PPF?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a Nimbus Emira.
I've driven it 400 miles.

I now want to add exhaust and other fun stuff.

But I just don't really want to PPF it.
It costs a lot of money, and I want to break this car in instead of dropping it off at a place and waiting for them to dick around with it for a week.

And if a few rocks hit it now and then.. does it really matter?

I mean its not a dark car (rock chips show up much more on dark cars) and I am not putting 100k miles on it...

Do you ever feel we're overconcerned about PPFing?

Or am I an idiot?

Last edited:

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
With the limited driving I’ve done so far I’ve heard tiny stones flick off the car and see the way aerodynamics Chuck crap all down the sides.
I’m so glad I did full ppf even if it was expensive.

zoomdaddy

Reaction score
I PPFd the front and mirrors. Tech did a great, seamless job! Obviously they prepped it well before draping the film. Now the bad news. It made the appearance of the rest of the car look a little dull by comparison. The extended period of time the car was in transit or repeatedly cleaned before deliver resulted in some very light abrasion on the roof and back hallf of car. I don't have the black pack. I received a 24 porsche boxster just before getting the Lotus. The paint on that car was perfect when it was received. Now I will invest in a paint correction for the back half of car and perhaps ceramic coating.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
i would absolutely wrap high risk locations. The rear haunches and hood will get hammered. If I was buying a used car I would take the one with PPF and no chips every time over the same car with a bunch of rock chips. You get a return on the up front investment when you sale.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I used a brand new "premium" buffing style microfiber (ultra soft) and some Griot's Speed Shine to try to wipe a few bug strikes off the nose of the car. Instant micro-scratches and swirl marks from the microfiber, and I wasn't using pressure.

This clear coat is the softest that I've ever experienced in all my years of owning cars. I will 100% be applying PPF to protect it. I don't think it's fit for purpose in as-delivered form.

Golden Parrot

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I used a brand new "premium" buffing style microfiber (ultra soft) and some Griot's Speed Shine to try to wipe a few bug strikes off the nose of the car. Instant micro-scratches and swirl marks from the microfiber, and I wasn't using pressure.

This clear coat is the softest that I've ever experienced in all my years of owning cars. I will 100% be applying PPF to protect it. I don't think it's fit for purpose in as-delivered form.
Completely agree. I managed to mark the clear coat with my fingernail. Not to mention the black pack roof. PPF is a must just to keep it clear of swirl marks when washing.

GrahamClark_60-68

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Wow. That observation alone is enough to pull me back from being on the fence to all-in on PPT. Thanks Porter.

Cwolf

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No way would I NOT PPF the car. I had mine done by the dealer with the warranteed PPF for $2700. That covered the front, the mirrors, and the rear wheel arch. It is a very low car. I think once you get some chips you will regret not doing it, but good luck.

FeelsWheels

Reaction score
I chose to have it PPF'd as I had a terrible experience with a rock chip on the hood of my McLaren (not PPFd). I had PPF on a 997.2 911 C2S 12 years ago (white car) and it became a pain in the ass, especially because it was just partial front PPF and the edges got real dirty and dark. Ever since then, I've gone full front PPF or full PPF on all my cars. However, I'm very particular about my cars and would rather see the PPF all banged up, but know that the paint is good underneath. I also hop in and out of cars every year or so and resale is usually easier with well-done PPF or with the PPF removed and a pristine front bumper.

Last edited:

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Lot of people don't know how to properly detail or maintain their cars these days. New generation I guess. PPF is just another FAD. lol.
Frankly, I'm enamored by the Emira and am a relatively paranoid/OCD person. Although I plan to really daily drive it, paint chips would hurt my heart. By honestly, you may be right, may just learn how to properly take care of it better since I plan to long haul the Emira.

zoomdaddy

Reaction score
I have a Nimbus Emira.
I've driven it 400 miles.

I now want to add exhaust and other fun stuff.

But I just don't really want to PPF it.
It costs a lot of money, and I want to break this car in instead of dropping it off at a place and waiting for them to dick around with it for a week.

And if a few rocks hit it now and then.. does it really matter?

I mean its not a dark car (rock chips show up much more on dark cars) and I am not putting 100k miles on it...

Do you ever feel we're overconcerned about PPFing?

Or am I an idiot?
I struggled with this too. My 2006 porsche had 1st gen film on the nose and it was obvious by its seams, not very protective and difficult to remove. I looked at xpel and suntek and chose suntek due to lesser price and 10 yr warranty. I did the front end and mirrors for $2k tax included, looks amazing. What matters most is the applicator regardless of the product. I found a great one. In fact his prep and film look so good its apparent that the rest of the car needs paint correction and some form of protection. I'm intending on using this car as an everyday vehicle, lots of road-trips on highways and backroad twistys. At some point it won't be pristine and I'm OK with that decision. Having owned a 66 elan in my youth, the fiberglass and paint have come a long way. Enjoy your car.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lot of people don't know how to properly detail or maintain their cars these days. New generation I guess. PPF is just another FAD. lol.
Definitely not a fad and has nothing to do with proper detailing. You can be the best detailer in the world and still get rock chips and scratches without ppf.

Many professional detailers--Jason Otterness and Brian @ Apex Detail, just for an example, both put PPF on their personal cars.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Definitely not a fad and has nothing to do with proper detailing. You can be the best detailer in the world and still get rock chips and scratches without ppf.

Many professional detailers--Jason Otterness and Brian @ Apex Detail, just for an example, both put PPF on their personal cars.
Detail as in fixing your own tiny stone chips. Very simple to do and with great results. Just takes some time and very little $$ compared to $10k canadian for full ppf.
A. See stone chip?
B. Clean and wash area and remove previous waxes and coatings with solvent.
C. Apply primer and then take out touch up paint.
D. Apply touch up paint just above paint(allows for shrinkage) surface of surrounding chip and let dry. Several thin smooth coats may be necessary to build up.
E. Gently wet sand, apply clear coat, wet sand as needed.
G. If necessary use rubbing compound/glaze to fine tune
G. Wax or Ceramic coat

Cost 45 mins time
Couple bucks.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This is all true. However, sanding isn't something anyone should take lightly and definitely not for the inexperienced. Also, you can only sand down the clear so many times.
To each his own, of course, but for me, on an expensive car, I'd rather the film take the beating and leave my factory paint alone. On a sub $75k car, touch up paint all the way.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Detail as in fixing your own tiny stone chips. Very simple to do and with great results. Just takes some time and very little $$ compared to $10k canadian for full ppf.
A. See stone chip?
B. Clean and wash area and remove previous waxes and coatings with solvent.
C. Apply primer and then take out touch up paint.
D. Apply touch up paint just above paint(allows for shrinkage) surface of surrounding chip and let dry. Several thin smooth coats may be necessary to build up.
E. Gently wet sand, apply clear coat, wet sand as needed.
G. If necessary use rubbing compound/glaze to fine tune
G. Wax or Ceramic coat

Cost 45 mins time
Couple bucks.
I get what you are saying, but hear me out.

Have you ever taken the paint code a builder used in your home to a paint store and tried to touch up a wall mark? It’s never quite the perfect shade and you end up having to repaint the whole wall.

Touch up paint is very much like that. 99% of people will never notice, and some can be fine with it. But I will always know it’s not right and that I should paint “the whole wall”.

So PPF can save me the headache of over analysis, and save me from painting the wall a few times during ownership.