Alcantara or Leather

RAF Croughton

Reaction score
I think leather is much easier to take care of than Alcantara.
If you spill anything on leather you can simply wipe it up, not so with Alcantara.
Plus Alcantara can get all matted down, especially the steering wheel.
Also leather does not absorb odors, not sure about Alcantara.
I'm going full black leather.
Agreed! Full leather everywhere for me as well. Alcantara is best for areas that shouldn't be touched regularly, like the headliner.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I am going for the Alcantara interior, BUT, sticking with the leather steering wheel.

I thought about getting the Alcantara steering wheel and putting on my nice leather driving gloves, (because otherwise that steering wheel is going to get nasty really fast) but decided nahhhh that's just a PITA to do every time I want to go for a drive.

My girlfriend once had a Starbucks coffee in her hand and was about to get in my car and I said "WAIT. WHAT IS THAT."

She was upset that she had to drink the entire thing before getting in the car. But it was worth sleeping on the sofa for.

Yep, that was the hill I chose to die on. :LOL:

I have no regrets.
Are you going for the cup holder delete option on your Emira? :)

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m going red leather with the red leather dash/door accents and the grey leather stripe on the red seats. 😍

Should match nicely with the digital red/white/grey dash HMI design, the chrome interior trim panels, anodised aluminium kef speaker grills and the red starter button cover! 😉

LoL at contrast being a ‘stitch’ colour!

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m going red leather with the red leather dash/door accents and the grey leather stripe on the red seats. 😍

Should match nicely with the digital red/white/grey dash HMI design, the chrome interior trim panels, anodised aluminium kef speaker grills and the red starter button cover! 😉

LoL at contrast being a ‘stitch’ colour!

Since when can you spec the leather seat stripe color? 🧐

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
No one wants to talk about how terrible the leather seats look, huh? I considered going ice leather to brighten things up, but I can't get past the seat design.. At least on tan, red, and ice leather there is that black stripe in the center giving some contrast.

Alcantara for me though. Feels and grips better.. Plus I like having contrast stitching on the dash and as far as I can tell, that only happens with the Alcantara interior.
That’s pissing me off. No reason we can’t have contrast stitching in leather.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Agree - lack of contrast stitch was factor in my decision to go Alcantara. Together with the fact it's essentially 'half leather' in terms of how some manufacturers would describe it.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Agree - lack of contrast stitch was factor in my decision to go Alcantara. Together with the fact it's essentially 'half leather' in terms of how some manufacturers would describe it.
If anyone wants to see how it looks. Just hop on the Porsche configurator and spec a 718 GTS with the GTS interior pack 😇😁

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
No one wants to talk about how terrible the leather seats look, huh? I considered going ice leather to brighten things up, but I can't get past the seat design.. At least on tan, red, and ice leather there is that black stripe in the center giving some contrast.

Alcantara for me though. Feels and grips better.. Plus I like having contrast stitching on the dash and as far as I can tell, that only happens with the Alcantara interior.
The Evora Base had crap seats as well.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have concerns about Alcantara longevity. I’ve never had it but I understand it wears out quickly. My Emira will be a daily driver so that’s a big factor.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have concerns about Alcantara longevity. I’ve never had it but I understand it wears out quickly. My Emira will be a daily driver so that’s a big factor.
Alcantara actually has great longevity. What can wear quickly is the nap, which gives it a worn appearance. There are ways to maintain the nap with brushes, limited use of hand lotions, etc to keep it looking good longer term.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I love the durability / grip that Alcantara offers but the Emira interior is to dark / drab in all black. The tan / white / red leathers elevate the ambience and brighten up the interior.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I love the durability / grip that Alcantara offers but the Emira interior is to dark / drab in all black. The tan / white / red leathers elevate the ambience and brighten up the interior.
Some of us prefer dark and drab... it helps offset our dazzling personalities and general radiant glow.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

So according to what I've read, Alcantara is not as durable as leather but it is better in other ways.

I have still yet to see durability issues with alcantara bar on high touch areas (oily hands) such as wheel and gear knob. And they just require routine maintenance

Certainly not an issue if you are keeping the car for 10 years or less.

Get the Alcantara coated with a protector and will make it easier to just wipe down. Wrongly or rightly I just wipe down mine with a damp cloth once a month to remove any dust and surface dirt

GreenDeal

Reaction score
Now imagine a DV emira with a black pack, red brake calipers, red taillights and red leather interior - simply a terrific contrast! So I ordered my DV. Just hope it will be delivered in Q1 2023. :unsure: :love:

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

So according to what I've read, Alcantara is not as durable as leather but it is better in other ways.
Where in this article does it state it isn't as durable as leather? This one says it's more durable than real suede, which is a type of leather.
Again...I don't think it's a durability issue that comes with alcantara. It's more of a visual thing where it looks worn. It requires more upkeep than regular leather to keep it looking new.
Pros and cons to each material. For me, on a wheel, I like leather. Honestly the only place I don't mind alcantara is the headliner and the seats. Don't want it on the dash (ew), shifter, wheel, etc.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Where in this article does it state it isn't as durable as leather? This one says it's more durable than real suede, which is a type of leather.
Again...I don't think it's a durability issue that comes with alcantara. It's more of a visual thing where it looks worn. It requires more upkeep than regular leather to keep it looking new.
Pros and cons to each material. For me, on a wheel, I like leather. Honestly the only place I don't mind alcantara is the headliner and the seats. Don't want it on the dash (ew), shifter, wheel, etc.
I did read that (leather is more durable if kept conditioned) in at least one of the articles I researched. I have no experience with Alcantara, but I do know that some leather steering wheels get sticky over time.