• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Air con known issue -no fix yet [EDIT: now with official fix]

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not sure if this is the same problem we’re talking about, but mine is only blowing hot air in the foot area. If I switch it completely off it’s still blowing a little bit. No setting changes that. If I turn it to 16.0C and set it to max I can get a tiny little bit of a coldish idea of air, but that’s it. Max is also just a slightly stronger blow than setting 1.
I had the same problem before and it fixed itself somehow. This time it doesn’t seem to.
Interesting fact: It immediately failed after a slightly stronger tap on the brake after a car pulled out on me…

Pro-Eng

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the same problem we’re talking about, but mine is only blowing hot air in the foot area. If I switch it completely off it’s still blowing a little bit. No setting changes that. If I turn it to 16.0C and set it to max I can get a tiny little bit of a coldish idea of air, but that’s it. Max is also just a slightly stronger blow than setting 1.
I had the same problem before and it fixed itself somehow. This time it doesn’t seem to.
Interesting fact: It immediately failed after a slightly stronger tap on the brake after a car pulled out on me…
Was it raining or had it been raining and there was water on the bodywork?

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Was it raining or had it been raining and there was water on the bodywork?
No rain immediately before, but already had water damage in the ECU so I guess it was damaged already and the rather harsh shift in weight sealed the deal for good. Is it that dared junction box under the bonnet?

Pro-Eng

Reaction score
If you’ve not had any remedial work done on the VCU under the bonnet, then my guess would be this is a likely culprit, but it’s just a guess based on the association with the AC.

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well my Aircon is Kaput well and truely.

Had the issue with limited cooling originally, then when it went in for recall the service centre reset the AC controller and checked the gas levels. When I picked it up it was all fine.

The following day went to use the car and the AC was not working again, did the old stop/start trick and it kicked in and worked fine for the two trips I made.

When I then went to use again a couple of days later to go to the gym absolutely nothing, no air movement from the fans and being cool wet weather the car misted up and I had to drive with the windows wide open.

Took it into service center last week, they checked everything to do with the AC system and could not get it going again, there is apparently a controller nick named the Hedge hog which is in the front end of the car, looks like that is the next step, waiting on a date to get it in to be stripped down 😠

So my car is again unusable!!!!!

I love this car but am beginning to really hate the ownership experience.

Was supposed to be my daily but with all the small faults and issues I have had I cannot trust it so have bought a second car to run around in until I am confident in the Emira's reliability 😢

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well my Aircon is Kaput well and truely.

Had the issue with limited cooling originally, then when it went in for recall the service centre reset the AC controller and checked the gas levels. When I picked it up it was all fine.

The following day went to use the car and the AC was not working again, did the old stop/start trick and it kicked in and worked fine for the two trips I made.

When I then went to use again a couple of days later to go to the gym absolutely nothing, no air movement from the fans and being cool wet weather the car misted up and I had to drive with the windows wide open.

Took it into service center last week, they checked everything to do with the AC system and could not get it going again, there is apparently a controller nick named the Hedge hog which is in the front end of the car, looks like that is the next step, waiting on a date to get it in to be stripped down 😠

So my car is again unusable!!!!!

I love this car but am beginning to really hate the ownership experience.

Was supposed to be my daily but with all the small faults and issues I have had I cannot trust it so have bought a second car to run around in until I am confident in the Emira's reliability 😢
Exactly my state currently. I got very slight airflow from the foot area if I switch the AC off. Only warmed by engine so it takes time. If you set it to recirculate (Button activates AC again - turn it off) at least you can kinda demist. Mechanics currently busy figuring something out with engineers in England. They still aren’t allowed to do anything without directions from above…

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi All - picked up my 23 plate ex-dealer demo last week (must likely a June 23 build - had the new wiper motor already from the factory) but my heating/aircon seems a bit weak too. Whilst the fan (usually)starts, the air distribution flaps move (I can hear them) and the temperature varies at the vents, the airflow is always weak - even with the fan turned up to maximum. Should I be able to get a strong, audible blast of air with the fan on max (like most other cars) or is "whisper quiet and weak" airflow OK or do I have the same (potential) software or "hedgehog" fan resistor issue too?

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi All - picked up my 23 plate ex-dealer demo last week (must likely a June 23 build - had the new wiper motor already from the factory) but my heating/aircon seems a bit weak too. Whilst the fan (usually)starts, the air distribution flaps move (I can hear them) and the temperature varies at the vents, the airflow is always weak - even with the fan turned up to maximum. Should I be able to get a strong, audible blast of air with the fan on max (like most other cars) or is "whisper quiet and weak" airflow OK or do I have the same (potential) software or "hedgehog" fan resistor issue too?
The Max setting is strong but weaker than your usual car IMO

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Ha... today I learned that a hedgehog resistor is a thing, and that it actually is aptly named. I initially assumed it was being nicknamed that because it is a prick to get to :LOL:

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Seriously though, I sure hope they have this figured out sooner rather than later... not being able to defrost the windscreen over winter is going to be just as irritating as being roasted in warmer weather.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can someone point me to information about that hedgehog resistor? I’m pretty sure that’s a clue to my problem and would like to update my dealer 😂

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just wrapped up reading every post on this thread. I really hope that this gets resolved soon! I live in Miami and unlike a lot of you not being able to defrost, I'm hoping to be able to keep myself cold! 😂

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Really strange. I claimed that the air fan is really not present and since today (after having the car since 2 months) it started as in normal cars…See attached video. Absolutely no idea why it started to work today…I think it’s a software bug😲😯

Fan is working

Robbierob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Really strange. I claimed that the air fan is really not present and since today (after having the car since 2 months) it started as in normal cars…See attached video. Absolutely no idea why it started to work today…I think it’s a software bug😲😯

Fan is working
And again not working…☹️😫