• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Actual 0-60 Times?

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Now that there are customer cars out in the wild and past the running-in mileage, has anyone come close to the claimed 4.3s 0-60 time? Anyone under 5s?

(yes I understand the “that’s not what this car is for, get a Tesla” arguments, I’m just wondering how optimistic Lotus’s published spec was)
I assume you've probably seen this video with a 0-60 and 0-100 launch....but if not here it is.....

0-60 in 5.3 and 0-100 in 10.9

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Drag racing and launch times is an ego game, not a driver's metric. I literally do not care what the car does 0-60.

In fact I would much prefer it to be a full second slower to 60 but have the shift points be more appropriate for driving quickly on mountain roads. What's bad for 0-60 times (an extra shift) usually makes the power band work better for the driver in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

OP
dgrace

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Drag racing and launch times is an ego game, not a driver's metric. I literally do not care what the car does 0-60.
Totally understood. Would you care if Lotus's advertised 400hp actually came in at 350hp? Or if the car was actually 300lbs heavier than promised?

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don't think it's an ego thing, it's a real measurement of acceleration capability, and since only a small % of us actually use cars in a manner where 50-60mph is the slowest part of the range, for street driven cars 0-60 makes more sense. 60-120 is a more useful metric for me, but nobody really publishes that stuff that I'm aware of. The difference between the qtr mile time and the 0-60 also is a great metric for determining acceleration performance on track IMO.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
For me, a brz is unsatisfying slow so imo there is a too slow baseline. My Emira test drive was satisfying speed wise and I LOVED the gearing, perfectly set up to enjoy 3rd gear on the street
more shifting more fun

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For me, a brz is unsatisfying slow so imo there is a too slow baseline. My Emira test drive was satisfying speed wise and I LOVED the gearing, perfectly set up to enjoy 3rd gear on the street
more shifting more fun

Exactly. Especially if you're already accustomed to other cars in the 3.xx range.

I LOVED driving my buddy's GR86, but would only buy one if it had something north of 300hp, just not enough thrust as-is.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Totally understood. Would you care if Lotus's advertised 400hp actually came in at 350hp? Or if the car was actually 300lbs heavier than promised?
I'd be ok with the power but not the added weight.

As an example, an Elise or Exige is not a lesser car for having less horsepower.

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'd be ok with the power but not the added weight.

As an example, an Elise or Exige is not a lesser car for having less horsepower.

Better example, which would you buy, an Elise or an Exige if they were both the same price?

edit, maybe not the best example, my point is if you could buy a car with all other things being equal, one with 200hp and one with 300hp.. I'd bet money most people would always opt for the higher power faster car.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't think it's an ego thing, it's a real measurement of acceleration capability, and since only a small % of us actually use cars in a manner where 50-60mph is the slowest part of the range, for street driven cars 0-60 makes more sense. 60-120 is a more useful metric for me, but nobody really publishes that stuff that I'm aware of. The difference between the qtr mile time and the 0-60 also is a great metric for determining acceleration performance on track IMO.
We just have utterly different interests where driving is concerned. I primarily care about how fast a car can go around a corner, how much of the limit of lateral grip I'm able to explore, and how fluid the feedback is from the chassis and steering during weight transfer. I like a car that feels like a light-footed dance partner.

Acceleration is an EV game now. All but the most extreme internal combustion cars today accelerate at varying degrees of slow compared to what many common "family" EVs can do. So why bother chasing acceleration in a non-EV?

I think for me it's more rewarding to explore the thing you can't get with any current EV platform, and that's exceptional handling and feedback. That road leads to only a few places, and one of them is Lotus.

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
We just have utterly different interests where driving is concerned. I primarily care about how fast a car can go around a corner, how much of the limit of lateral grip I'm able to explore, and how fluid the feedback is from the chassis and steering during weight transfer.

Acceleration is an EV game now. All but the most extreme internal combustion cars today accelerate at varying degrees of slow compared to what many common "family" EVs can do. So why bother chasing acceleration in a non-EV?

I think today it's more rewarding to explore the thing you can't get with any current EV platform, and that's exceptional handling and feedback. That road leads to only a few places, and one of them is Lotus.

You misread or I didn't express it correctly then, because I'm primarily concerned with road course. I don't like giving point by's, and really enjoy passing off line in corners, so the car needs to handle AND accelerate well.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What... you mean like how they neutered the i4? :suppressed-rage:

OP
dgrace

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What... you mean like how they neutered the i4? :suppressed-rage:
Well to be honest, the i4 doesn't actually exist yet so I'm not going to hold it against them. But Lotus seems to have a habit on this car of overpromising and underdelivering, so I'd like to know how the final product stands up to the published specs, now that there are actual examples out in the world.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well to be honest, the i4 doesn't actually exist yet so I'm not going to hold it against them. But Lotus seems to have a habit on this car of overpromising and underdelivering, so I'd like to know how the final product stands up to the published specs, now that there are actual examples out in the world.
I will absolutely hold it against them... and then probably buy one anyway *sigh*

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'll be interested in say, 70-120 times which would simulate acceleration on the highway. But even 1/4 mile times are better than 0-60. I saw a video of drag races between a new C8 Z06 and a McLaren 765LT.
The McLaren demolished the Z06 after 60 MPH.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
We just have utterly different interests where driving is concerned. I primarily care about how fast a car can go around a corner, how much of the limit of lateral grip I'm able to explore, and how fluid the feedback is from the chassis and steering during weight transfer. I like a car that feels like a light-footed dance partner.

I think for me it's more rewarding to explore the thing you can't get with any current EV platform, and that's exceptional handling and feedback. That road leads to only a few places, and one of them is Lotus.
I agree. My MX5 is so much fun because of its lightness, manual transmission, and handling abilities. Yes, it'd be nice to have more power, but my occasional 1-day rental of a McLaren or Corvette gets the EV-trouncing urge out of my system. :sneaky:

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Here's a great summary of the testing that Car & Driver does:

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Whatever the true time ends up being, I'm sure it will be faster than what I currently drive (0–60 in 13.5 seconds). 🐢