• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

1300 miles ownership experience

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
1300 miles in and all I can say is the car is EPIC!

Road trip across the Pennines from Hexham (B6295) across to Penrith and back, and then enjoyed it so much, we when back and did it again the next day, what a road and what a car, in its element and exactly the roads it was made for. I’m coming from a Caterham 420r and it felt as much fun, if not more! Sticks to the road like nothing else, and just feels so instinctive, makes you feel like you can push and push. The steering is sublime and exactly as I had hoped, inspires confidence with so much feel. I have Sports suspension with goodyears. Yes, sports is stiff but not crashy and perfect for what I want the car to be. The power for me is perfect for the British roads, and never left wanting for more, so again really not an issue for me. You can really use all of the power all the time, without feeling like you are about to lose control.

Everywhere you stop people ask about it, all positive but not something I was expecting. Either people who know about the Emira and just want to know about it, alternatively people who don’t have a clue what it is but just love the way it looks. It gets serious attention.

The storage is quite surprising too, you can get a lot more in than you would think especially behind the seats. Two sets of golf clubs no problem.

The exhaust to me is lovely too, pops and burbles on the down shift, screaming supercharger at high revs and sounds lovely from outside too and def gets noticed. I haven’t taken it out of Sport or Track. In Tour it is definitely more muted but that’s how it’s meant to be.

I had mine track PPF’d and ceramic coated and would recommend it, the car is low and I would worry too much about scratches etc, especially using the car how it should be driven. I look after my cars but am not precious about them and drive them how they should be driven. So the ppf just gives me peace of mind.

I do appreciate, some people maybe early adopters have had issues but my car (31st April registration date) has been near perfect. I think they must have ironed out a lot of not all of the major issues. Other issues, people mentioned on the forums, to me, are just not issues at all, yes the boot gets hot and melts ice cream but it’s a sport car!!!

The only issues I can think of, is sometime the CarPlay doesn’t connect, so you have to do it manually in your phone, non issue for me. The other is reverse when cold can be tough to get in, but after you put it in and out of 3rd, then it goes in no problem, so just do it without thinking now. Apparently this is common to Lotus.

Another thing I enquired about is a rattling noise when doing full lock and very slow speeds, sounds a bit unnerving but again this happens in all models apparently?

I just wanted to write this review independently as I followed the forum intensively before getting mine and was so worried about a lot of the issue and problems mentioned on here and almost pulled my deposit and am so glad I didn’t Now the car has arrived, most have become so insignificant, and just non issues.

I do of course appreciate some people have suffered major issues which I would be very unhappy about too, but most of the issues are very minor of issues and just negativity the car doesn’t deserve.

For all in the que or near delivery, if your car is anything like mine it is absolutely amazing I can’t stop smiling and driving it.

Honestly, even when I wake up and see it on my drive, I still can’t believe it’s mine.

I feel most the forum is full of people’s negative experience of the car rather than positive. I guess that’s the problem with forums, most of the times it going to people venting about issues, as the people with no issues are out loving the car, hence why I felt I needed to write this. Indeed I have barely been on the forum since I took delivery and have now gained about 2 hours a day back of my life :)

Stick in there, it is 100000% worth the wait!

dave355

Reaction score
Yes totally agree, some minor issues but on a new model it’s expected and sure they will be rectified soon.I so nearly cancelled as well but so pleased I took delivery.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks for adding to the write ups of positive experiences.

Not everyone is having issues and forums get a skewed perspective. I met 7 Emira owners last weekend, only 1 had a (very minor) issue with his car and only two were on this forum. They are all out enjoying their cars.

Briggo

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Road trip across the Pennines from Hexham (B6295) across to Penrith and back, and then enjoyed it so much, we when back and did it again the next day, what a road and what a car, in its element and exactly the roads it was made for. I’m coming from a Caterham 420r and it felt as much fun, if not more! Sticks to the road like nothing else, and just feels so instinctive, makes you feel like you can push and push. The steering is sublime and exactly as I had hoped, inspires confidence with so much feel. I have Sports suspension with goodyears. Yes, sports is stiff but not crashy and perfect for what I want the car to be. The power for me is perfect for the British roads, and never left wanting for more, so again really not an issue for me. You can really use all of the power all the time, without feeling like you are about to lose control.

Everywhere you stop people ask about it, all positive but not something I was expecting. Either people who know about the Emira and just want to know about it, alternatively people who don’t have a clue what it is but just love the way it looks. It gets serious attention.

The storage is quite surprising too, you can get a lot more in than you would think especially behind the seats. Two sets of golf clubs no problem.

The exhaust to me is lovely too, pops and burbles on the down shift, screaming supercharger at high revs and sounds lovely from outside too and def gets noticed. I haven’t taken it out of Sport or Track. In Tour it is definitely more muted but that’s how it’s meant to be.

I had mine track PPF’d and ceramic coated and would recommend it, the car is low and I would worry too much about scratches etc, especially using the car how it should be driven. I look after my cars but am not precious about them and drive them how they should be driven. So the ppf just gives me peace of mind.

I do appreciate, some people maybe early adopters have had issues but my car (31st April registration date) has been near perfect. I think they must have ironed out a lot of not all of the major issues. Other issues, people mentioned on the forums, to me, are just not issues at all, yes the boot gets hot and melts ice cream but it’s a sport car!!!

The only issues I can think of, is sometime the CarPlay doesn’t connect, so you have to do it manually in your phone, non issue for me. The other is reverse when cold can be tough to get in, but after you put it in and out of 3rd, then it goes in no problem, so just do it without thinking now. Apparently this is common to Lotus.

Another thing I enquired about is a rattling noise when doing full lock and very slow speeds, sounds a bit unnerving but again this happens in all models apparently?

I just wanted to write this review independently as I followed the forum intensively before getting mine and was so worried about a lot of the issue and problems mentioned on here and almost pulled my deposit and am so glad I didn’t Now the car has arrived, most have become so insignificant, and just non issues.

I do of course appreciate some people have suffered major issues which I would be very unhappy about too, but most of the issues are very minor of issues and just negativity the car doesn’t deserve.

For all in the que or near delivery, if your car is anything like mine it is absolutely amazing I can’t stop smiling and driving it.

Honestly, even when I wake up and see it on my drive, I still can’t believe it’s mine.

I feel most the forum is full of people’s negative experience of the car rather than positive. I guess that’s the problem with forums, most of the times it going to people venting about issues, as the people with no issues are out loving the car, hence why I felt I needed to write this. Indeed I have barely been on the forum since I took delivery and have now gained about 2 hours a day back of my life :)

I can echo your comments although only 700 miles in - loving it

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks for adding to the write ups of positive experiences.

Not everyone is having issues and forums get a skewed perspective. I met 7 Emira owners last weekend, only 1 had a (very minor) issue with his car and only two were on this forum. They are all out enjoying their cars.
@VL3X just making sure you saw the above post. ;)

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Hooray what a great write up and just what I needed to hear ! My car is in build now and due July and have had some wobbly moments again but your review will get me over the line and the niggles I hope are no more than that. Enjoy your Emira in the summer sun !

JXJ

Reaction score

I to echo your experience 900 miles of fun, the Emira is a fantastic car happy days

Peeltone

Reaction score
I am 530 miles in now hoping some trips in next 3 weeks will tip me over 1000…. It’s driving me mad waiting.

Anyway I agree so far no real issues on mine except the mrs has taken too much of a shine to it for my liking.
The car play system has played up once but has been ok since and certainly no worse than my other cars which seem to crash a fair bit.

Johnda1

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I echo pretty much everything you've said. I got my car on 21st April and I love it. I really have had no issues at all other than a couple of small paint chips on two of my yellow calipers but that can't really be blamed on the car or Lotus (and nothing a little touch up couldn't rectify). I have a Samsung phone and it never fails to connect with Android Auto. I'm on 959 miles as of this evening, so close to giving it the full beans but, to be honest, even just changing up at 4k rpm it's quick enough for most roads near me. It really is an amazing car and mine, on Tour suspension, is amazingly comfortable and compliant while still handling like it's on rails. Booked in at a few shows over the coming months where it is classed as a 'supercar' and, while it may not be a 'supercar', it is to me.

Ceejay

Reaction score
1500 miles in mine now and no issues to report. Gearbox getting better with miles. Le Mans next week followed by a mini French tour so should be up to 3k miles when we get back. We’ve downsized a few items to fit the space we have (cerberas have a huge boot and 2+2 which we’ll miss a bit)

A few notes on ownership.

Sports chassis and steering amazing.
Cockpit feels really spacious
Stereo and CarPlay great
Good visibility in mirrors
Exhaust loud enough for me
Rev hang annoying
Adapted heel and toe technique, brake is slightly lower than throttle, I prefer the other way around.
Rpm limit could be higher

Bring on an R version.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Adapted heel and toe technique, brake is slightly lower than throttle, I prefer the other way around.
When braking the pedal becomes lower than the throttle so you have to really pull your heel back to blip. The pedals are too far apart for me to use the side of my foot, I've tried this only to have my foot slip off the brake. Strangely when I drove an Emira at LDA it was easier to H&T than my more recent Emira (LDA ones are pre-prod). That was breaking heavy on track and downshifting at around 3500-4000 rpm which I guess you don't really do on the road.

The breaking performance though is incredible