Will the Emira fulfill my nimble-car dreams?

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Porter
Would you lower it?
Have you seen it in person -- does it seem high?

Lastly, will lowering harm it at all? I'd like just like an inch or something.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Porter
Would you lower it?
Have you seen it in person -- does it seem high?

Lastly, will lowering harm it at all? I'd like just like an inch or something.
It doesn't look high in person. Looks like a reasonably appropriate stance for a sports car. No need to lower unless you specifically want an even more aggressive look. A mild drop won't mess anything up if you have it aligned properly but I wouldn't go crazy with it.

Last edited:

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've owned three Porsche 911s: a 997, 991, and now, a 992.

During the 997 days, I felt a profound connection with the car, like I was wearing it. It was as though man, machine, and road became one beautiful entity.

But transitioning from the 997 to the 991 and then to the 992, I've felt a bit let down. Each new model seemed bigger, bulkier, and the steering became less intimate. The sharp, nimble feeling I loved was diminishing with every generation.

I learned that the 991 was the first to have electric steering, while the 997 used hydraulic, like the Emira. (Once, I had an older Cayman as a loaner and secretly found it more enjoyable to drive than the 991, though I preferred the 991's appearance.)

I'm now considering moving to an Emira and possibly selling the 992 GTS. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.

So, here's my question:

Will the Emira be among the most agile feeling cars I've ever driven? How will its handling compare to vehicles like a modern Lambo, GT3, or Ferrari?

I suspect these cars will be like my 992: great handlers but feel disconnected due to being "assisted," bulkier, and having electric steering...?

Aside from its killer looks, will anything really shine on this car? Will it do some things better than most of the supercars?

Thanks a lot!

P.S. - There is not a better looking car than this. Not even a 300k car somewhere.
Get a Miata !! Anything under 100k can’t touch it for smiles for miles! You’ll also save 80 k over the Emira!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'll chime in - for reference I own a 718 Spyder (and past I have owned 992 S manual and a few other sports cars). IMO getaway and porter are correct in that the throttle house review nailed it. My take on Emira is from an emotional point of driving it wins against the p-car (maybe not a GT3 touring). It probably won't win the drag race or beat the track time of the GT4, but this will come more down to the driver than the car.

I would say only 718 Spyder gives a comparable emotion and more so because it's convertible.

However, choosing between the two is VERY difficult and the Lotus is the more special feeling car, it really is a very good sports car. It is starting to get a little bit pricey and is treading on 992 T in cost. I don't think I can recommend and say the Emira is a better built car than the 992, or hold it's value as well as the Carrera. But it has more soul, rarer, beautiful with a lot more emotion built in. Something you can't quantify in a spec sheet is where the Emira wins. And the steering feel / suspension setup is better in Lotus no question. See vid below, you can see the difference in the drive;

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've owned three Porsche 911s: a 997, 991, and now, a 992.

During the 997 days, I felt a profound connection with the car, like I was wearing it. It was as though man, machine, and road became one beautiful entity.

But transitioning from the 997 to the 991 and then to the 992, I've felt a bit let down. Each new model seemed bigger, bulkier, and the steering became less intimate. The sharp, nimble feeling I loved was diminishing with every generation.

I learned that the 991 was the first to have electric steering, while the 997 used hydraulic, like the Emira. (Once, I had an older Cayman as a loaner and secretly found it more enjoyable to drive than the 991, though I preferred the 991's appearance.)

I'm now considering moving to an Emira and possibly selling the 992 GTS. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.

So, here's my question:

Will the Emira be among the most agile feeling cars I've ever driven? How will its handling compare to vehicles like a modern Lambo, GT3, or Ferrari?

I suspect these cars will be like my 992: great handlers but feel disconnected due to being "assisted," bulkier, and having electric steering...?

Aside from its killer looks, will anything really shine on this car? Will it do some things better than most of the supercars?

Thanks a lot!

P.S. - There is not a better looking car than this. Not even a 300k car somewhere.
Hi luciddaydream,

I totally get where you are coming from.

The short answer to your question is - yes, if you are looking for a nimble car, you will have a hard time finding a better car. 997, 991 and 992 included.

It is closest to 997, in that it is a hydraulic steering rack, which will dance in your hands on uneven roads, and is very communicative. I can feel a difference in the steering wheel when the wheels go from old to new tarmac, even if it is completely flat. The time from steering wheel movement, to lateral forces in your waist and ribs, is almost instant.

There are cars that will offer that, but they are either not visually very attractive, or specially tuned super car price tag territory. Emira is the sweet spot: the affordable car, with razor sharp steering, and super car looks.

I would strongly recommend sport setup over touring to maximise that kind of effect.

I have been shopping since the beginning of the year, on a much higher budget than the Emira, and having driven all the usual suspect (Lambos, Ferraris, McLaren, etc.) I decided to go for the much cheaper Emira. It made me laugh out loud during the test drive.

Here is a post about the rest opportunity I had to compare it to the McLaren 570s:
https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/emira-vs-mclaren-570s.3532/#post-102171

To be balanced (sorry for the pun), there is a bit of the roll on cornering. Compared to say the GT3 Touring which was my second choice, which is completely flat in turns. But, I kind like a slight roll, it gives you indication of suspension load.

Hope this helps.

Chobfreak

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Small, nimble and communicative cars don't need big horsepower numbers. My Emira is currently at PDI so I can't compare it to my Camaro and my roadster just yet, but my GT is so fast on pass roads that it's hard to beat regarding thrills.
I bet the Emira will shine when it comes to smiles per gallon.