Will the Emira fulfill my nimble-car dreams?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've owned three Porsche 911s: a 997, 991, and now, a 992.

During the 997 days, I felt a profound connection with the car, like I was wearing it. It was as though man, machine, and road became one beautiful entity.

But transitioning from the 997 to the 991 and then to the 992, I've felt a bit let down. Each new model seemed bigger, bulkier, and the steering became less intimate. The sharp, nimble feeling I loved was diminishing with every generation.

I learned that the 991 was the first to have electric steering, while the 997 used hydraulic, like the Emira. (Once, I had an older Cayman as a loaner and secretly found it more enjoyable to drive than the 991, though I preferred the 991's appearance.)

I'm now considering moving to an Emira and possibly selling the 992 GTS. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.

So, here's my question:

Will the Emira be among the most agile feeling cars I've ever driven? How will its handling compare to vehicles like a modern Lambo, GT3, or Ferrari?

I suspect these cars will be like my 992: great handlers but feel disconnected due to being "assisted," bulkier, and having electric steering...?

Aside from its killer looks, will anything really shine on this car? Will it do some things better than most of the supercars?

Thanks a lot!

P.S. - There is not a better looking car than this. Not even a 300k car somewhere.

Last edited:

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I think the Emira is much nimbler. But it's not Elise or Exige. So you have to decide how nimble/agile/light you want and the associated trade offs.

I'm thinking seriously about a 992T for daily and long commute 2x a week. The señora will be the fun weekend car.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira will be way closer to the experience of your 997 than almost any other modern option, and it might exceed what you found there.

The Elise/Exige are in a whole other category, hugely engaging but way more raw and uncompromising as a thing to live with than the Emira or the Porsche. They are absolutely wonderful in their own right but are really for a completely different application, they aren't really designed to be used as casual transportation. They exist to be a stripped down purist sports car, and they do that wonderfully.

Honestly of all the new (and new-ish) cars on the market right now that are attainable at normal people money, the Emira is probably your best bet if you're chasing that "engagement" intangible but also want a car that is a complete passenger vehicle. The Evora GT would tick those boxes too, if you don't mind the 2000s-design dash and electronics.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yes, and no.

I do think the Emira will give you the nimble feeling of "wearing" the car. Others have commented that this car melts around you and I think that's different words for the same thing - when the car kind of goes away and it feels smaller because it feels like an extension of you. The steering feedback and rigidity of the chassis are big reasons why this feeling is possible, and those are two things Lotus is known best for, creating that higher fidelity connection between you and the road surface. Turn-in on the Emira is razor sharp and it's very easy to drive hard, meaning you're thinking more about your limits than the car's limits (another factor in perceived one-ness).

Now for the no... It's no Elise. Elise will be king of the feeling you describe (even more than 4-cyl Exige because it's a little lighter) and if you want that feeling above all else, Elise might make you happiest.

However if Elise is a little too far in the direction of "feels like an Apollo space capsule", the Emira might just be the perfect happy medium.

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
"
Honestly of all the new (and new-ish) cars on the market right now that are attainable at normal people money, the Emira is probably your best bet if you're chasing that "engagement" intangible but also want a car that is a complete passenger vehicle."
"
Thank you so much.
Yes I realize older lotuses might be far more nimble and "lotus", but I guess I was curious about the the Emira compared to the big supercars.

But it sounds like I am gonna love the Emira.

But I thikn I mean to ask two questions:
1.) How nimble will it feel? (Sounds like you guys have answered this)
2.) How will it actually perform in handling

So lets go to #2:

Performance wise, how does it stack up to big boys?

Let me explain:

Lets take my 992 GTS.

Will the Emira take be able to take sharp corner as effectively? Better? Worse?

The GTS will be very "assisted" and be able to do it with tech, rear wheel steering, etc.

But perhaps the Emira will do better (or at least equivalent) because its more lightweight?

Or perhaps does the emira rely more on its driver since its raw and pure?

I hope that make sense. Its been a long day looking at all this stuff.

Last edited:

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lets take my 992 GTS.

The GTS will be very "assisted" and be able to do it with tech, rear wheel steering, etc.

But perhaps the Emira will do better (or at least equivalent) because its more lightweight?

The handling of the Emira will be right in the same category with your 992, but will be able to achieve it without all the tech, just by having a well sorted chassis, appropriately designed and spec'd double wishbone suspension, and well-implemented hydraulic steering. And will likely give you more driver feedback when it counts by virtue of that analog approach.

What it won't be, is faster than your 992. The Emira is a momentum car, and even though it says 400hp on the label, it delivers the power in a very linear way that's more about driver control and finesse than outright acceleration. I've heard the Emira compared several times with the S2000, which is another exceptional "analog" momentum car. It's all the things an S2000 is, but with the engine in the middle, a drop dead gorgeous design, and twice the power. But it'll still be well short of a 992 GTS in outright speed.

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The handling of the Emira will be right in the same category with your 992, but will be able to achieve it without all the tech, just by having a well sorted chassis, appropriately designed and spec'd double wishbone suspension, and well-implemented hydraulic steering. And will likely give you more driver feedback when it counts by virtue of that analog approach.

What it won't be, is faster than your 992. The Emira is a momentum car, and even though it says 400hp on the label, it delivers the power in a very linear way that's more about driver control and finesse than outright acceleration. I've heard the Emira compared several times with the S2000, which is another exceptional "analog" momentum car. It's all the things an S2000 is, but with the engine in the middle, a drop dead gorgeous design, and twice the power. But it'll still be well short of a 992 GTS in outright speed.
Ok great! Thanks for typing all that. You're a good writer.

I know, I wish it had more power. I hate to say it. I mean, I realize we need to stop thinking that way, but I can't help it. I don't really go 0-60 much, but I love being on a highway and just ripping in my 992. My 992 is also tuned, so its probably like 540 hp.

But, I also need to realize that a lot of the FUN of the 992 is at illegal and unsafe speeds.

With this car, I will have a lot more fun at slower speeds.

But man I'd just like a little bit more power out of the Emira.. but maybe I won't care. :)

Another thing is sometimes I feel the emira will look so fast but will kind of not really be fast. So I feel like it might misrepresent itself, or something.

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score

From what I've expressed do you think I should do the touring or sport? I have decided to go sport but I am still on the fence.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
"

"
Thank you so much.
Yes I realize older lotuses might be far more nimble and "lotus", but I guess I was curious about the the Emira compared to the big supercars.

But it sounds like I am gonna love the Emira.

But I thikn I mean to ask two questions:
1.) How nimble will it feel? (Sounds like you guys have answered this)
2.) How will it actually perform in handling

So lets go to #2:

Performance wise, how does it stack up to big boys?

Let me explain:

Lets take my 992 GTS.

I hope that make sense. Its been a long day looking at all this stuff.
You're doing what a lot of us have done prior to ordering, which is to approach analysis paralysis. I did the same thing wondering if power would be comparable to the M2C. It isn't as powerful.

This is strictly my opinion, but even though the power is less than some comparable cars, if you work for it you won't notice. Between 4500rpm and 6800 the torque is flat as a pancake so when you want to play hard just keep it wound up. Again my opinion, but on public roads I can rarely use the full capability of the M2C without quickly doubling the speed limit or sliding off the road on a curve. That's just reality. So, If the Emira has only 85-90% of that power, then I STILL won't be able to use it all in most instances. So, again, in reality, the real world use will be very similar to higher HP cars.

BUT, as an owner of several Lotus, I can almost guarantee you that the handling will be as good, if not much better, than any car you've driven. The steering will absolutely feel better, and while you can still use the nannies, you'll find it's fun to actually drive again without them if you want to.

Last edited:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ok great! Thanks for typing all that. You're a good writer.

I know, I wish it had more power. I hate to say it. I mean, I realize we need to stop thinking that way, but I can't help it. I don't really go 0-60 much, but I love being on a highway and just ripping in my 992. My 992 is also tuned, so its probably like 540 hp.

But, I also need to realize that a lot of the FUN of the 992 is at illegal and unsafe speeds.

With this car, I will have a lot more fun at slower speeds.

But man I'd just like a little bit more power out of the Emira.. but maybe I won't care. :)

Another thing is sometimes I feel the emira will look so fast but will kind of not really be fast. So I feel like it might misrepresent itself, or something.

I once went on a drive with a buddy, and we swapped cars. He had a 991.2 GTS Targa4, with manual. I had an ND Miata. I had driven a GTS before, but not a manual. He had never driven a Miata of any kind.

At the end of our run, we hopped out to exchange reactions.

I said, "Man, I have got to get myself one of these".

He said, "Huh. Maybe I don't even need the Porsche".

The Porsche offered a noise and a refinement that the Miata couldn't touch.

But the Miata offered engagement and thrill at lower speeds.

Each of us were kind of craving the other thing, because both cars were missing a piece of the puzzle.

Throttle House got it right in their review of the Emira when they said, "This is where Porsche meets Miata". They nailed it, very succinctly. It made me think back to that day we swapped cars. It's got the best of both worlds, and I think that take was exactly right.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I think it's just a different thing. The Emira is a beautiful, beautiful car. And the looks do make people assume that it's fast. And it is fast! It's just not bonkers fast. It's "reasonable fast car" fast, and it's designed to be fun and engaging.

It will reward drivers that want that kind of special automotive experience, but unlike some objectively FAST cars it likely won't do anything to flatter anyone's ego. Nobody is going to be winning stoplight races against other exotic-looking things in an Emira, or beating sportbikes to 150mph. It's just not what it's for.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Throttle House got it right in their review of the Emira when they said, "This is where Porsche meets Miata". They nailed it, very succinctly. It made me think back to that day we swapped cars. It's got the best of both worlds, and I think that take was exactly right.
I think you nailed it.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From what I've expressed do you think I should do the touring or sport? I have decided to go sport but I am still on the fence.
Totally personal preference, and what's right for your situation will also depend on the type and quality of roads that you have near you and in your intended pattern of use.

Both suspension versions are very sporty. Spring rates are similar. The big difference seems to be in the way that the damper operates, the Tour version has a more progressive feel to the way the suspension loads up, where the Sport version is more taut right away. That being said, they are both generally comfortable at speed and not harsh.

Over rough bridge seams the Sport was noticeably softer than my friend's Gen2 CTS-V, and that's a big luxury car. I drove the two back-to-back over the same route within 30 minutes of each other. The Sports is also less harsh than my BMW's M Adaptive dampers on "sport" mode (not even Sport+).

The bigger difference is in how the car moves in transitions. Sport will be quick, direct, and flat. Tour will move around slightly more, and will likely be more entertaining to "play" with if you want to fling it around. It's also likely to "flow" better over roads with bumpy surfacing due to poor grading or low construction quality. So if you're going to be driving a lot in places with very bad roads, Tour will save you from a lot of discomfort.

Hope this helps. FYI my order spec is Sports with Goodyear.

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score

During the 997 days, I felt a profound connection with the car, like I was wearing it. It was as though man, machine, and road became one beautiful entity.

But transitioning from the 997 to the 991 and then to the 992, I've felt a bit let down. Each new model seemed bigger, bulkier, and the steering became less intimate. The sharp, nimble feeling I loved was diminishing with every generation.

I learned that the 991 was the first to have electric steering, while the 997 used hydraulic, like the Emira. (Once, I had an older Cayman as a loaner and secretly found it more enjoyable to drive than the 991, though I preferred the 991's appearance.)

I'm now considering moving to an Emira and possibly selling the 992 GTS. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.

So, here's my question:

Will the Emira be among the most agile feeling cars I've ever driven? How will its handling compare to vehicles like a modern Lambo, GT3, or Ferrari?

I suspect these cars will be like my 992: great handlers but feel disconnected due to being "assisted," bulkier, and having electric steering...?

Aside from its killer looks, will anything really shine on this car? Will it do some things better than most of the supercars?

Thanks a lot!

P.S. - There is not a better looking car than this. Not even a 300k car somewhere.
I had a 997.2 Targa 4S. Hewn from rock, amazing traction coming out of corner great steering, fast for the era. Fun on track. A little big on the tightest canyon roads. Engine felt heavy and a little high out back.

Compared to that car, the Emira is more nimble as a rear mid engined car with almost as much rear grip, a way better front end due to double wishbones and it's faster than my 911 was. It's more fun, more emotional in handling, but not in engine scream at high rpm. It does feel more powerful at low rpm due to supercharging.

The steering is better in the Emira. A lot better. Definition of sublime.

Interior more modern in Emira obviously but still in the era of the 997.2 in terms of fit and finish. Purposeful, but not overly luxurious, just like my 911 with full leather.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

So, here's my question:

Thanks a lot!

As a preface, I haven't owned any comparable cars to the Emira like many others on this forum. I've always been a very financially-minded person and so the Emira is a bit of a splurge for me (albeit because of that mindset, a now easily affordable one). So take that into consideration as I can't compare to Ferraris or Lambos, etc. That being said, my first car was a 1987 Toyota MR2 that I bought with 172K miles when I was 16. It was a go-cart and I felt like I was basically one with the little car. I've missed it ever since.

I will say that when I test drove the Emira, it wasn't a great route, lots of traffic, some engine issues, etc. But once we were nearing the end of the short 15-20 minute drive and I had a chance to drive with the windows down and start to get comfortable with it, I started to really love it. Then I got back into my BMW 340i (which at this point I was thinking was a great handling car overall in its segment, lowered, with HR springs, etc.), my bimmer felt like a BOAT compared to the Emira. It really is amazing that this car exists in 2023.

If what you're going for is a visceral, old-school style "I can feel the car talking to me" type of thing, I think you're going to LOVE this car. It is kind of an exotic, SUPER sexy looking yet still-somewhat-go-cart-feeling type of car that I think the right type of driver just loves and there isn't really a competitor in terms of fun factor.

Side note: I did recently test drive a 2021 911-T and while it was pretty awesome, it didn't have quite the feeling (and definitely not the looks) of the Emira.

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Totally personal preference, and what's right for your situation will also depend on the type and quality of roads that you have near you and in your intended pattern of use.

Both suspension versions are very sporty. Spring rates are similar. The big difference seems to be in the way that the damper operates, the Tour version has a more progressive feel to the way the suspension loads up, where the Sport version is more taut right away. That being said, they are both generally comfortable at speed and not harsh.

Over rough bridge seams the Sport was noticeably softer than my friend's Gen2 CTS-V, and that's a big luxury car. I drove the two back-to-back over the same route within 30 minutes of each other. The Sports is also less harsh than my BMW's M Adaptive dampers on "sport" mode (not even Sport+).

The bigger difference is in how the car moves in transitions. Sport will be quick, direct, and flat. Tour will move around slightly more, and will likely be more entertaining to "play" with if you want to fling it around. It's also likely to "flow" better over roads with bumpy surfacing due to poor grading or low construction quality. So if you're going to be driving a lot in places with very bad roads, Tour will save you from a lot of discomfort.

Hope this helps. FYI my order spec is Sports with Goodyear.

Thanks a ton for your help.

Hmm.

I am worried because the roads here are not great and its been hard to really tell in my 992 since its electronic steering.

But please tell me this: If I would ever get touring, and it was too soft, do you know how much (roughly) it would cost to mod the car to be like the sport?

Last edited:

EMorg

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for your help.

Hmm.

I am worried because the roads here are not great and its been hard to really tell in my 992 since its electronic steering.

But please tell me this: If I would ever get touring, and it was too soft, do you know how much (roughly) it would cost to mod the car to be like the sport?
Touring not too soft at all. Back roads here in NZ are pretty rough and the Emira (Touring setup) is simply playful and planted. No regrets at all it puts a smile on the face every single time.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Totally unrelated. The difference will be in what your body feels through the chassis, not in what your hands feel from the steering.

If you've had a GTS-tier Porsche and found the ride quality acceptable on your roads, you're probably 100% fine with Sports. In fact it may be softer than what you're used to. The Touring spec would be significantly more compliant, more like a non-GTS Porsche.

But regardless of your config choice, if you decide to spend money on suspension on an Emira later, you'd likely be switching to Nitron or Öhlins, both of which are known for massive performance and also very reasonable comfort. Expensive dampers can usually do both. For reference:

So if you're open to spending money later, that makes Touring a very safe option because you have a clear "performance" upgrade path that would be in a category way above the Sports damper in terms of engineering and performance. Both the Touring and Sports dampers are from Bilstein and are very decent hardware, but are built to a price point. There are fundamental limitations in what is achievable at a particular cost.

For my own calculus, I don't particularly want to spend money later to mod the car unless I have to, so I chose Sports as to leave nothing on the table in terms of outright performance. If I really find that it's too harsh later, then I'll grit my teeth and upgrade to Nitron or Öhlins, and get a double benefit of slightly softer ride quality and a boost in damper performance.

If the ride quality concern with Sports does turn out to be true, then I probably would have been better off (financially) with Touring from the beginning, but the aftermarket solutions are a comprehensive upgrade from either scenario, so it's fixable either way.

Here's good thread on this topic for perspective, regarding the Evora... most of the comments about the suspension and ride quality apply to the Emira as well, including the upgrade path. FYI the Touring spec on Emira is roughly equivalent to the Evora 400 suspension, and the Sports spec on Emira is roughly equivalent to Evora GT / GT410 suspension.

Last edited:
OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thank you.
Do these allow you to lower the car at all?
Sorry I am not really the brightest with suspension.

Speaking of lowering - - would you do it ? Sometimes photos seem to make the car look a bit too high up.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thank you.
Do these allow you to lower the car at all?
Sorry I am not really the brightest with suspension.

Speaking of lowering - - would you do it ? Sometimes photos seem to make the car look a bit too high up.
Yes, height is adjustable on almost all of the aftermarket options.

There is also a height adjustment collar system available from GRP to add height adjustability to the factory system.