Will the Emira allocation really cross the pond ?

Ryder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus/Greely know their market and NA has never been a Lotus hotbed. Did they really forget the need for the certification process ( safety and emission testing ) ?
Could the process be more difficult than expected ? Will they jump through hoops to deliver the 700 plus cars promised ?
Why no updates from Lotus ??

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lotus/Greely know their market and NA has never been a Lotus hotbed. Did they really forget the need for the certification process ( safety and emission testing ) ?
Could the process be more difficult than expected ? Will they jump through hoops to deliver the 700 plus cars promised ?

I don't know what happened with the certification but I find it hard to believe Lotus "forgot". I think the maximum folly scenario is that they were caught off guard by how backed-up the queue was. More likely I think would be needing to make a change to the cars which held off certification. Just speculation on my part.

They're not going to walk away. 700 cars might be small potatoes, and the US might not be a Lotus hotbed in the past with their niche sports car offerings, but Geely has EV lifestyle vehicles to sell and the US is the 2nd largest auto market in the world.

Last edited:

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Wasn't the US the #1 market for the evora?

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't remember where I heard it, but I had thought the explanation was that Lotus thought that certification from the Evora GT would carry over as the powertrain was identical, and were caught out when EPA demanded a completely new application. Either way this should have been addressed back in 2021.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
my invoice is number 617. Seems logical it refers to the number of cars built??? Might help gauge your wait????

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus has been caught out by the certification process in many jurisdictions, not just the US. Europe, UK, Japan, China, Australia to name just a few.

It appears in many cases the time to get through the certification has extended significantly post COVID, so not entirely down to Lotus and has impacted other manufacturers.

I also think Lotus had to make changes to nearly final cars that meant having to re-apply for certification. This is just a hunch, but based on seeing things like late changes to the official emissions figures.

OP
R

Ryder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus has been caught out by the certification process in many jurisdictions, not just the US. Europe, UK, Japan, China, Australia to name just a few.

It appears in many cases the time to get through the certification has extended significantly post COVID, so not entirely down to Lotus and has impacted other manufacturers.

I also think Lotus had to make changes to nearly final cars that meant having to re-apply for certification. This is just a hunch, but based on seeing things like late changes to the official emissions figures.
Tom, thanks for your take. Fingers are crossed for 12/2023 arrival.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Tom, thanks for your take. Fingers are crossed for 12/2023 arrival.
Also considering that that 60% of Hethel is dedicated to China spec cars the N/A market is NOT a priority. Doesn’t look like they really give a rip. The Chinese factory is building Chinese cars, the Hethel factory is building Chinese cars - N/A certification and deliveries will happen as “soon” as they feel like.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
OP
R

Ryder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Chinese factory is building UK and EU Eletres as well as cars for Asia. The delay with US certification is as much to do with the US certification agency as it is with Lotus.

In the overall Geely strategy for Lotus, the US isn't the top priority and nor is the UK or Europe. This is the headline news today from Lotus:
That article really tells the story. The NA market has no priority with Lotus/Greely.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That article really tells the story. The NA market has no priority with Lotus/Greely.
“The first Lotus cars will arrive in Q1 2024 and Q3 2024 for Emira and Eletre customers respectively” - pretty much tells you what you need to know. North America, back of the line. I’m wondering if we’ll actually get cars. Perhaps Lotus should suspend accepting new orders from North America until we get this sorted out. Dollars to donuts they haven’t even submitted for certification yet as they need to make cars for S Korea to make deliveries by Q1.