❔ QUESTION Why cant I change my spec? Someone explain the technicalities

AR2

Reaction score
Im not too well versed in the whole car manufacturing world, so can someone please enlighten me on this: Why cant I change my spec? Since the release of colours in real life was through various leaks over months, leaving us with no choice but to speculate what the colours would look like, and my order keeps getting delayed by months at a time... why is it so hard for them to let me change my spec?
Theres about 6 months left for me to receive my car (if they dont push it again), so why cant I get to change just the exterior and interior color. Because initially I loved my colour but as more pictures surfaced, I realised the color in real life was no where near what I expected (didn't like it). Genuinely thinking of selling my car for that reason when I receive it, so i'm wondering why changing a spec would it be so hard for them.

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Have you contacted your dealer or Lotus directly? Some of us were able to, with much prodding, make some spec changes (including color).

jpizzle

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Im not too well versed in the whole car manufacturing world, so can someone please enlighten me on this: Why cant I change my spec? Since the release of colours in real life was through various leaks over months, leaving us with no choice but to speculate what the colours would look like, and my order keeps getting delayed by months at a time... why is it so hard for them to let me change my spec?
Theres about 6 months left for me to receive my car (if they dont push it again), so why cant I get to change just the exterior and interior color. Because initially I loved my colour but as more pictures surfaced, I realised the color in real life was no where near what I expected (didn't like it). Genuinely thinking of selling my car for that reason when I receive it, so i'm wondering why changing a spec would it be so hard for them.
What colour you want to change from and to?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
With all the chaos in supply chains, Lotus need to give much more notice to suppliers about parts than used to be the case pre-Covid. Changing the specs of parts can result in extra delay. To make it easier to manage, Lotus have a blanket policy of no changes once your order is committed (around 6 montsh pre-delivery for most). You can request a change but it is likely to result in your order being delayed, possibly by 3-6 months.

For some items, like the colour of calipers, it seems bizarre these can't be changed. Even switching from one wheel style to another would seem fairly low impact. But if they opened up changes for a few then it would have to be opened up for everyone and that's the headache Lotus are trying to avoid.

It's hard to comprehend, particularly if (like me) you locked your spec in last December and every time Lotus announce another delay we still can't make any changes. I can't even delete items like Homelink to make it quicker/easier for Lotus to deliver it.

Exterior paint colour should be one of the easier items to change, as all the painting is done at Hethel. The only supplier constraint is the paint itself.

I do know of people who have been allowed to make changes without dropping down the queue. You'll have to be persistent with your dealer, get them to talk to Hethel and potentially tackle it by speaking to Hethel direct as well.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So even with these further delays Lotus has again said my spec is locked so can’t change calliper colour and can’t even delete the tracker off - which I was originally happy to do so at that time as they said I was getting the car built in June ! But every time I ask so what delay will be incurred for these changes they are never willing to give me answer. 💯 % worst buying car experience ever / customer service.
Has anyone had any success at all ? Changing locked in spec ? So by the time car is built I’ll of been locked in for like 21 months - sorry broken record 😡

Clagg

Reaction score
Mine is December build but having seen the privacy glass it is too dark.
Asked the MD in May on a factory visit what delay if I changed, told 3 months. Same from CS in Sept.
Now been told will be “ roughly 3rd / 4 th quarter 2023. ie nearly a year. .
However with all the teething problems it just might be the right thing to do!

IH8theMavs

Reaction score
Mine is December build but having seen the privacy glass it is too dark.
Asked the MD in May on a factory visit what delay if I changed, told 3 months. Same from CS in Sept.
Now been told will be “ roughly 3rd / 4 th quarter 2023. ie nearly a year. .
However with all the teething problems it just might be the right thing to do!
Should be able to make changes until you confirm your build slot and order. Once you do that and the order is sent to Hethel your deposit is non refundable and the specs are in. They have to have a cutoff time somewhere or everyone would change at the last second. A confirmed order is just that. However, if you spoke directly with Hethel through your dealer I know for certain that they can change the factory order before the car goes into production but you will have to have a VERY good and persuasive reason.