What other “raw” cars have you owned ?

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Owned my Ariel Atom for 7 years.
Can't really get more raw than this.
Drove it across country from Arkansas to Toronto Canada and then back across country to California.
Driving the Atom through the Redwood forest View attachment 3386 was surreal.
I must say that every drive was an adventure.
Met a lot of great Atom owners over the years.
View attachment 3382
View attachment 3383

View attachment 3384

View attachment 3385
Although very nice machines, cannot see myself spending over $100K on an Atom, just feel like getting my welder friend drunk and building my own with a Honda K20 lol

Last edited:

prestonc

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Always felt some of the Lotus cars offer a “raw” driving experience vs other marques. It’s defintely one of the characteristics I look for from a fun car.

So post up a pic and a bit of detail of any cars you’ve owned that you feel in to this category. I’ve had a few, so will drip feed them in starting with a British classic.

140bhp K Series Caterham with 6 speed box. You can thrash the car around country roads without risk of losing your license . Biggest bang for buck fun of any car owned for me. Every petrol head should own one at some point

View attachment 1334
I owned a Mk 1 cavalier. It was given to me with no engine. It was brown from wheels to dash, carpets to head lining. After popping in an engine, finding an exhaust from the Titanic, and sawing off most of it, breaking the steering lock, removing the ignition barrel and permanently ramming a screwdriver into it for starting purposes, I christened the thing 'The Brown'. How inventive!
Anyway, I think it was about as raw as it comes.
Good times!!

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I owned a Mk 1 cavalier. It was given to me with no engine. It was brown from wheels to dash, carpets to head lining. After popping in an engine, finding an exhaust from the Titanic, and sawing off most of it, breaking the steering lock, removing the ignition barrel and permanently ramming a screwdriver into it for starting purposes, I christened the thing 'The Brown'. How inventive!
Anyway, I think it was about as raw as it comes.
Good times!!
Hey Prest, what exactly is an MK 1 Cavalier? it sounds like a high performance machine, you sure you're not confusing the word raw with wrong? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: sorry Dog, couldn't resist!

prestonc

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Prest, what exactly is an MK 1 Cavalier? it sounds like a high performance machine, you sure you're not confusing the word raw with wrong? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: sorry Dog, couldn't resist!
😂😂 all good mate.
1664405212090.png

This is the beast. It's a Vauxhall Cavalier. Vauxhall is the UK version of GM. Like the pound is the UK version of the dollar, or drill music is the UK version of gangster rap, or Boris is the UK version of Donald.
Anyway, the brown was the UK version of anything sh1t that GM made. Take your pick.

:)

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
😂😂 all good mate.
View attachment 9245
This is the beast. It's a Vauxhall Cavalier. Vauxhall is the UK version of GM. Like the pound is the UK version of the dollar, or drill music is the UK version of gangster rap, or Boris is the UK version of Donald.
Anyway, the brown was the UK version of anything sh1t that GM made. Take your pick.

:)
Wow that's nice, GM and Ford make cooler stuff for you guys on the other side of the pond, I thought it was the American version lol, regards!

gdotp

Reaction score
My list is:
Capri mk1 rs3.1
205 Gti 1.9
Williams Clio
Elise mk1
BMW 1M

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My list is:
Capri mk1 rs3.1
205 Gti 1.9
Williams Clio
Elise mk1
BMW 1M
Great list! I had a Golf GTI but really wanted my mate’s Capri. I followed up with an Astra GTe briefly, before a 205 GTi - loved that car. 306 GTI-6 after that was fun but not quite the same pocket rocket.

gdotp

Reaction score
Great list! I had a Golf GTI but really wanted my mate’s Capri. I followed up with an Astra GTe briefly, before a 205 GTi - loved that car. 306 GTI-6 after that was fun but not quite the same pocket rocket.
Thanks,
The 205 was definitely fun but very skittish, terrible lift off oversteer on corners. At the time it seemed fun but I was a lot younger and a lot less concerned about the consequences……
The BMW has probably been the best, the whole car seemed to pivot about the driver seat in the corners but was still quite tied down.