Porter's Magma BP over Tan, trips journal & reactions

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
At long last it's here! I can't tell you what a surreal feeling it was for the car to finally be real, after almost 3 years of waiting and frustration.

Ken Scott at Flow Lotus in Winston-Salem NC was great to work with, a real gentleman and consistently true to his word. Many thanks to him for also sticking it out through what I imagine was an interminable wait from the dealer perspective.

1000031630.jpg

1000031634.jpg

I left the dealer and immediately headed north to the Virginia line, avoiding highways entirely and seeking out twisty mountain roads on my route home, to give the car the kind of "varied engine speed" break-in procedure that I think is probably ideal for this car, and keeping very conscientiously to the letter of the factory break-in recommendation. 😜

I covered about 350 miles of fantastic mountain roads on my way back home, split over 2 days. About half of that distance was on the Blue Ridge Parkway. An utterly sublime way to get to know the car, and start to develop some nuance and driving rhythm with it.

1000031682.jpg

Initial Takeaways:

1. Even without going much over 4,000 RPM the car is exceptionally competent on a twisty road. When driven like a momentum car it 100% rewards the driver, even without using much (if any) of the meaningful power the car has on tap. A truly fantastic chassis that's been set up very competently. The terminal handling balance is mild understeer but needs to be provoked to get there. Great shifting, great brakes, and the Goodyears are up to the task of really spirited mountain drives without being too extreme in their behavior or characteristics. The limiting factor is very clearly the tires though, for track use the Cup2s would be strongly preferred I think.

2. The seats are comfortable for long drives but I could really use another inch down. Maybe 2 inches. I will be budgeting for Tillett buckets in time I guess, even though I really don't want to do that on a brand new car that I intend to keep long term. Maybe someone will come up with another solution before too long.

3. The induction noises are musical and addictive. I went through a tunnel on the BRP that tempted me into running up briskly through two gears and then downshifting again on the exit to hear it howl, and I found myself cackling with laughter involuntarily. It's an absolutely ridiculous and addictive thing to drive and experience.

4. Bystanders are absolutely thrilled to see this car. I felt like an instant celebrity everywhere I went this weekend, and got into some exceptionally fun conversations with people who had questions or wanted to take a closer look. The valet crew at the hotel the first night was an absolute hoot about it, I ended up hanging out with them and talking cars for at least half an hour. I even met a young British expat the next morning as I was leaving, who told me about the Lotus Europa his father had owned for many years back in the UK, and how much of a joyful feature it had been throughout his childhood and in his relationship with his dad.

As a person who absolutely loves talking to strangers, the opportunity to talk to people about their own experiences or interests that are tangent to the car in some way is a unexpected super bonus to owning this car that I really hadn't fully anticipated, but I absolutely love it. And I love the reactions from kids, who have such a joyful response to a thing as silly and wonderful as a cool red car, that it re-validates the whole reason for owning this crazy thing: taking simple pleasure in something that's pretty darn cool, and sharing that feeling with others as much as I can.

I'm a very happy Lotus Emira owner, and I'm looking forward to sharing here more of what I discover, as well as trips and experiences that I have with the car.

The journey begins!

1000031681.jpg

Last edited:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Welcome to Emira ownership and congratulations on the car - really classy spec :love: Strangers asking about the car is indeed a very nice part of the experience that you wouldn't get with a Cayman.

I agree with your comments on the seats. Comfortable but just too high. After a year with my car it is the one thing I would change. I'm hoping @GRP might be able to come up with some lowering brackets. If it is feasible I think most owners would like to get the seat lower. Even just 2 or 3 cm could make a big difference.

Anyway, enjoy the car and keep us posted on the journey.

OP
Porter

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wish I had known you were driving the BRP. My backyard ends at the park boundary around milepost 2. Did you get sport or touring?
Sport! Worked beautifully on our Virginia roads. Not harsh at all above 20mph.

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great post!1 It's wonderful seeing more of these cars finding their owners after such a long wait. You captured those initial feelings behind the wheel so well and your description mirrors my own (although I have yet to hit the BRP and can't wait to do so). Every minute behind the wheel of the Emira is an event and it just seems to make people smile.

Last edited:

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Congratulations and great spec. Very close to what I had ordered, but I ended up with an orphaned Nimbus with BP instead (which I love).

Agreed, the car is great when staying within the run-in limits. Gets better when those limits are removed ;) :cool:

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
At long last it's here! I can't tell you what a surreal feeling it was for the car to finally be real, after almost 3 years of waiting and frustration.

Ken Scott at Flow Lotus in Winston-Salem NC was great to work with, a real gentleman and consistently true to his word. Many thanks to him for also sticking it out through what I imagine was an interminable wait from the dealer perspective.

View attachment 39004
View attachment 39005

I left the dealer and immediately headed north to the Virginia line, avoiding highways entirely and seeking out twisty mountain roads on my route home, to give the car the kind of "varied engine speed" break-in procedure that I think is probably ideal for this car, and keeping very conscientiously to the letter of the factory break-in recommendation. 😜

I covered about 350 miles of fantastic mountain roads on my way back home, split over 2 days. About half of that distance was on the Blue Ridge Parkway. An utterly sublime way to get to know the car, and start to develop some nuance and driving rhythm with it.

View attachment 39007

Initial Takeaways:

1. Even without going much over 4,000 RPM the car is exceptionally competent on a twisty road. When driven like a momentum car it 100% rewards the driver, even without using much (if any) of the meaningful power the car has on tap. A truly fantastic chassis that's been set up very competently. The terminal handling balance is mild understeer but needs to be provoked to get there. Great shifting, great brakes, and the Goodyears are up to the task of really spirited mountain drives without being too extreme in their behavior or characteristics. The limiting factor is very clearly the tires though, for track use the Cup2s would be strongly preferred I think.

2. The seats are comfortable for long drives but I could really use another inch down. Maybe 2 inches. I will be budgeting for Tillett buckets in time I guess, even though I really don't want to do that on a brand new car that I intend to keep long term. Maybe someone will come up with another solution before too long.

3. The induction noises are musical and addictive. I went through a tunnel on the BRP that tempted me into running up briskly through two gears and then downshifting again on the exit to hear it howl, and I found myself cackling with laughter involuntarily. It's an absolutely ridiculous and addictive thing to drive and experience.

4. Bystanders are absolutely thrilled to see this car. I felt like an instant celebrity everywhere I went this weekend, and got into some exceptionally fun conversations with people who had questions or wanted to take a closer look. The valet crew at the hotel the first night was an absolute hoot about it, I ended up hanging out with them and talking cars for at least half an hour. I even met a young British expat the next morning as I was leaving, who told me about the Lotus Europa his father had owned for many years back in the UK, and how much of a joyful feature it had been throughout his childhood and in his relationship with his dad.

As a person who absolutely loves talking to strangers, the opportunity to talk to people about their own experiences or interests that are tangent to the car in some way is a unexpected super bonus to owning this car that I really hadn't fully anticipated, but I absolutely love it. And I love the reactions from kids, who have such a joyful response to a thing as silly and wonderful as a cool red car, that it re-validates the whole reason for owning this crazy thing: taking simple pleasure in something that's pretty darn cool, and sharing that feeling with others as much as I can.

I'm a very happy Lotus Emira owner, and I'm looking forward to sharing here more of what I discover, as well as trips and experiences that I have with the car.

The journey begins!

View attachment 39008
Congratulations, thrilled for you - what a great write up of your stunning Emira! I’m in Toronto, Canada and have a cottage in Pinehurst, North Carolina…I was temped to go visit the cars at your dealership when I was there in January :). I’m doing a road trip with my dad in May and we’re taking the Blue Ridge Parkway from mile post 0 right to Asherville. It’s looking like I’ll be getting my Emira in about a month as I believe it’s currently on the Atlantic. However, not planning to take the Emira as great as that would be, as that won’t quite work for 2 of us and 1 set of golf clubs (possible but going to pass - I also don’t really want to put 3000 miles on it with a boring highway drive on the way home).

I’ve yet to drive there taking the Parkway, any tips? We will probably do it over 2 days which will be a 3 way drive as the first day will be getting from Toronto to Charlottesville (or possibly Baltimore for the Jays Orioles game). Could rent a car 1 way and fly home, take my dad’s SUV which is comfortable, but I’m leaning towards my e-cabriolet which won’t be as roomy or comfortable as an SUV but would be more fun to drive on the turns especially with the top down, do you think that would be the most suitable? I’m planning to get rid of the cabriolet soon too, never thought I’d keep it another 3 years but I was waiting for the Emira as a summer only car, then having 2 cars going to an SUV as a 2nd (Eletre deposit).

Thanks and have a blast with the Emira!

Last edited:

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I wish I had known you were driving the BRP. My backyard ends at the park boundary around milepost 2. Did you get sport or touring?
Incredible! See my post haha - I’ll be there in May :).

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great initial experience post and I absolutely love your spec. Very nice selection. I'm headed up to VA tomorrow (Lynchburg area) and I'm looking forward to taking the "Avoid Highways" route up from Raleigh. It's funny how much I'm using that feature for navigation now that I'm in the Emira as much as possible :)

saknibs

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Congratulations, thrilled for you - what a great write up of your stunning Emira! I’m in Toronto, Canada and have a cottage in Pinehurst, North Carolina…I was temped to go visit the cars at your dealership when I was there in January :). I’m doing a road trip with my dad in May and we’re taking the Blue Ridge Parkway from mile post 0 right to Asherville. It’s looking like I’ll be getting my Emira in about a month as I believe it’s currently on the Atlantic. However, not planning to take the Emira as great as that would be, as that won’t quite work for 2 of us and 1 set of golf clubs (possible but going to pass - I also don’t really want to put 3000 miles on it with a boring highway drive on the way home).

I’ve yet to drive there taking the Parkway, any tips? We will probably do it over 2 days which will be a 3 way drive as the first day will be getting from Toronto to Charlottesville (or possibly Baltimore for the Jays Orioles game). Could rent a car 1 way and fly home, take my dad’s SUV which is comfortable, but I’m leaning towards my e-cabriolet which won’t be as roomy or comfortable as an SUV but would be more fun to drive on the turns especially with the top down, do you think that would be the most suitable? I’m planning to get rid of the cabriolet soon too, never thought I’d keep it another 3 years but I was waiting for the Emira as a summer only car, then having 2 cars going to an SUV as a 2nd (Eletre deposit).

The Parkway can be enjoyed on a number of levels. It is scenic, with many overlooks and trails if you are interested in stopping. The speed limit is 45mph, although it is not heavily patrolled. I don't go over 55 except for occasional short bursts. So driving an SUV would be fun, driving a convertible would be more fun. If you are traveling on the weekend, expect some traffic. There are passing zones on most straights.

OP
Porter

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

What saknibs said above is very correct. The thing to keep in mind is that the Blue Ridge Parkway is a linear National Park and the whole thing is US government property, so the rules on it are a bit different than you would expect on any normal road.

Beautiful drive, particularly the section between Charlottesville and Roanoke, and several of the high altitude sections south of Roanoke near Floyd, Virginia. It gets spectacular again once you get in the middle of North Carolina. But all of the thing is really pretty gorgeous, it's hard to beat.

There are a number of sections where you can really open the car up, but do be aware there are many hikers that park in pull-out areas along the drive, either at overlooks or in small pull-out areas adjacent to recreation or streams. Be prepared to slow way down, like to 20 mph, because there are often kids with families and it's not unusual for people to step out into the road in those situations.

Use your best judgment and be prepared to flex your speed as needed based on conditions. Watch for police, because it's a Federal ticket (in Federal court!). And if the traffic is heavy, you can find alternative routes that are incredibly entertaining that parallel the Parkway. The country roads through this part of Virginia and North Carolina are truly stellar.

Hope you enjoy the trip! Remember that there are no services along the BRP so you will need to come down off the Parkway (sometimes 10 mi or so) to find gas or food. Best to fuel up fully before getting on, and then make targeted stops in places like Roanoke VA or Boone NC for lunch or dinner.

For visual reference, the BRP is a whole lot of this, basically:

(And yes, that was taken by me during a slow 3rd gear roll down an empty stretch of road. Video makes it look faster than it was.)

Last edited:
OP
Porter

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
1000031691.jpg

Snug at home last night, last of its freedom before going into storage temporarily. Next week it gets paint correction and a proper shine.

In storage today it got tucked in between some other customer cars, in this case between a 992 GT3 RS (with a nearly full Cup conversion) and a Ferrari Challenge car. I think it'll be just fine. 😀

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Get used to "is that a ferrari?". should get a sign to hold up to say "No, it is a Lotus"

That spec looks great. Like the red/with silver wheels.

Almost as nice looking as seneca/silver wheels. ;)