What is a good weekend of driving for you?

What is a good weekend of driving for you?

• Total voters

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This isn't Lotus Emira Talk but the Off Topic category won't let me make a poll.

So not your IDEAL weekend that you can dream up, I am asking about your regular weekend driving habits and when you are satisfied. We all have busy lives and stuff going on, so when you get in your car on the weekend, what makes you look back and feel full.

I do mainly mountain drives, so if I get in about 150 miles of driving over Saturday and Sunday that does it for me.

Select all that apply to your preferred weekend of driving!

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m probably in the minority on this forum but I actually can’t stand driving a bunch on public roads. Maybe that will change with the Emira?

I’m usually out riding bicycles instead.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I like either a longer solo drive, maybe with particular roads or a destination in mind, or an early morning group run with a few other cars. Sometimes with a Cars & Coffee meet before or after or some kind of car-related venue or event.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The problem with driving on the weekends is traffic. Everybody and their dog is out on the roads on the weekends. I prefer a drive in the middle of the week. Now that I'm retired, I can choose Monday-Thursday for a single day drive, and not have to deal with a crush of SUV's and RV's on the roads. I'm not anti-social; I'd just rather not be on a great mountain road and be stuck behind an RV going 25-30 and I can't safely pass.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’m probably in the minority on this forum but I actually can’t stand driving a bunch on public roads. Maybe that will change with the Emira?

The track questions were added with you in mind!

My biggest limit for not doing more track driving is lack of a garage to prep a car. I worked on my cars years ago when I had a garage, now I don't have one so whenever I work on a car I have to clean everything up and put all my tools back and cover the car. Need to figure out a way to prep my car before a track day.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The problem with driving on the weekends is traffic. Everybody and their dog is out on the roads on the weekends. I prefer a drive in the middle of the week. Now that I'm retired, I can choose Monday-Thursday for a single day drive, and not have to deal with a crush of SUV's and RV's on the roads. I'm not anti-social; I'd just rather not be on a great mountain road and be stuck behind an RV going 25-30 and I can't safely pass.

Added another poll choice. My weekend drives are usually over by 9 or 10am before traffic builds.

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I mostly drive with a friend albeit often in separate cars, he has a B8 RS4, 991.1 Carrera S and as of two weeks ago a 718 GT4 to chose from. I'm always in the RS3 until the Emira arrives and then I'll have that and the RS3 to chose between. As we are insured across all the cars we generally hop in and out of each others or sometimes we meet up and just drive one car. We do an annual big road trip (NC500 or Europe) and then supplement that with a couple of 3 day road trips (Scotland, Wales etc). I'm fortunate that the roads around Yorkshire and the North East are fantastic. I'm also in a car club and meet every few months with them for spirited early morning drives.

If I didn't work and have kids, the wife and I would be road tripping most off the time.

Reactions: MCS

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

994F6BBB-CC4F-482D-9CCF-BCA10BFA2F43.jpeg

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Typically I like to drive with small of like minded people. Lotus owners of Texas
Back roads in Texas hill county. Very spirited driving and hope we do not get pulled over
Going tomorrow and will probably add 500 to 700 miles by the time I get home Sunday evening.
DM me if anyone wants to join on future drives.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Typically I like to drive with small of like minded people. Lotus owners of Texas
Back roads in Texas hill county. Very spirited driving and hope we do not get pulled over
Going tomorrow and will probably add 500 to 700 miles by the time I get home Sunday evening.
DM me if anyone wants to join on future drives.
As a shorter guy, I like the idea of driving with small like-minded people ;)

There was often a self-selecting demographic with the Elise/Exige being a yoga exercise to get in and out :)

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
A real diverse mix of responses so far. I think it's just representative of the different types of car enthusiasts (track, b-road, DD, mountain, etc) all appreciative of a new Lotus that only comes around every decade.

There is a good showing for solo morning driving 100+ miles/km.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Since I started seriously tracking last year, I've been spending more and more time on circuits and thoroughly enjoying driving regularly at or near the limit. It's made me a slower (and more legal!) road driver as I get my kicks on track in a way that would just not be in any way sensible on public roads. Luckily I live 15 mins from Brands Hatch so I can scratch that itch whenever I want.

The Emira was going to be predominantly a track car, but I ended up pulling out and buying a S2 Elise SC instead, and used 90% on track. It's brilliant, has been bulletproof so far and I'm certain I'm enjoying it more as a track weapon than I would an Emira.

I got my race licence a few weeks ago and am still working out what vehicle to convert/buy to go racing in 2023, but I won't stop doing non-competitive track days - such immense fun!