Well, it's official! Porsche dumps ICE for Boxster/Cayman

JKP

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think everyone knew this was coming, but I didn't realize it was going to happen this fast! Looks like Porsche is done with ICE on the Boxster/Cayman in 2 years. See: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/107818/official-porsche-boxster-and-cayman-will-go-electric-2025

Given how poorly the 4 cyl. Cayman/Boxster was received, in large part because of its lack of personality, I fail to see how a heavier, quieter car is going to be a move in the right direction. Yes, it'll be fast, no question, but man that barely makes a difference anymore. All cars are plenty fast on the street. My Ducati isn't the absolute fastest bike on the road, but it damn sure is the sexiest and most fun to ride. Let's face it, if the environmentalists didn't force this change, we would all be dragging our knuckles around ICE cars from here to eternity. There's something magical knowing that small explosions that you can hear and smell are powering something very mechanical that you are intimately engaged with. The Ducati dry clutch is my favorite expression of this. The thing just sounds like you're sitting on a bomb ready to go off. Man it makes you feel alive! Can't wait to get this car and rev the engine every chance I get to scare old ladies and cats from every street corner!!! VIVA EMIRA!

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My daily is an STI and I was waiting for the new model but Subaru has dumped that as well. What the heck is going on!? It's one thing to say we are gonna be ICE free by a certain date, its a whole different ball of wax to be axing ICE cars that are currently in development.

Elisesquared

Reaction score
Wow, that is sad. Makes me even more grateful I'll be getting my FE. Who knows how long ICE will even last in the Emira (at least in manual, which is all that matters...).

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When you drive a convertible sports car (and especially the 6 cylinder Boxsters), the best noise is all that engine sucking and exhaust note that brings a smile to your face. Now you'll have 2 downsides of roof off motoring, 1 - the wind noise, 2 - EV motor whine (which I find really tedious).
End of my Porsche buying road (know the 911 will continue but its just so big and heavy now)

Reactions: JKP

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
When you drive a convertible sports car (and especially the 6 cylinder Boxsters), the best noise is all that engine sucking and exhaust note that brings a smile to your face. Now you'll have 2 downsides of roof off motoring, 1 - the wind noise, 2 - EV motor whine (which I find really tedious).
End of my Porsche buying road (know the 911 will continue but its just so big and heavy now)
Totally. After my contact with Lotus today I'm lining up my next Boxster purchase

Ronin

Reaction score
I was trying to decide between a Cayman and the Lotus (I have to wait a little bit as we are paying off my wife's car) but with this news, I think my decision just got easier.

Ronin

Reaction score
A GT4 or GTS would be like solid gold in the bank
Yeah, but the GT4 is out of my price range but would love the GTS. It sucks because I just cant pull the trigger yet as I do not like having two car payments.

I could get the GTS 4.0 as a CPO when I am ready but then the question is, CPO GTS 4.0 or a new Lotus V6 Emira? I think if the GTS is a few years old, then the Emira is the way to go.

Since I am not familiar with Lotus the wait works to my advantage. I can wait and see what the first wave of owners have to say....what their lines are what their dislikes are. What issues they have run into.

I just hate waiting. So many cars are now going electric which is kind of sad (this is coming from an electric car owner as well LOL). C63 AMG will now be a hybrid, cayman boxster gone, after the Emira Lotus will be electric...UGH

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, but the GT4 is out of my price range but would love the GTS. It sucks because I just cant pull the trigger yet as I do not like having two car payments.

I could get the GTS 4.0 as a CPO when I am ready but then the question is, CPO GTS 4.0 or a new Lotus V6 Emira? I think if the GTS is a few years old, then the Emira is the way to go.

Since I am not familiar with Lotus the wait works to my advantage. I can wait and see what the first wave of owners have to say....what their lines are what their dislikes are. What issues they have run into.

I just hate waiting. So many cars are now going electric which is kind of sad (this is coming from an electric car owner as well LOL). C63 AMG will now be a hybrid, cayman boxster gone, after the Emira Lotus will be electric...UGH
I dont think it has to be a 718. I'd be happy with the 981, sounds better as well

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Better order your Boxster or Cayman now if you want it for 2025 o_O

Corkdsp

Reaction score
I drive a 981 Cayman S for past 7 years and have deposit on lotus FE v6. I asked my Porsche dealer about GTS 4.0 allocations and GT4 all are being sold with a dealer ADM yet to be determined at time of ordering. Lotus is MSRP. Case closed

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think everyone knew this was coming, but I didn't realize it was going to happen this fast! Looks like Porsche is done with ICE on the Boxster/Cayman in 2 years. See: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/107818/official-porsche-boxster-and-cayman-will-go-electric-2025

Given how poorly the 4 cyl. Cayman/Boxster was received, in large part because of its lack of personality, I fail to see how a heavier, quieter car is going to be a move in the right direction. Yes, it'll be fast, no question, but man that barely makes a difference anymore. All cars are plenty fast on the street. My Ducati isn't the absolute fastest bike on the road, but it damn sure is the sexiest and most fun to ride. Let's face it, if the environmentalists didn't force this change, we would all be dragging our knuckles around ICE cars from here to eternity. There's something magical knowing that small explosions that you can hear and smell are powering something very mechanical that you are intimately engaged with. The Ducati dry clutch is my favorite expression of this. The thing just sounds like you're sitting on a bomb ready to go off. Man it makes you feel alive! Can't wait to get this car and rev the engine every chance I get to scare old ladies and cats from every street corner!!! VIVA EMIRA!
the four cylinder sold out non stop for the past five years. unable to get one without a wait list. only annoying youtube bros commented on the sound, and they were not buying one. There was more of a demand for 718's vs the prior generation. Due to it being nicer looking and faster and handling better.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
the four cylinder sold out non stop for the past five years. unable to get one without a wait list. only annoying youtube bros commented on the sound, and they were not buying one. There was more of a demand for 718's vs the prior generation. Due to it being nicer looking and faster and handling better.
This is what I’m keeping, hoping that lotus does so well with the EMIRA that they engineer a convertible or targa! With the V6 manual, then I would trade in the FE. Otherwise keeping both 😊

Attachments

• IMG_1217.jpg
    IMG_1217.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 45

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
This was expected once the mission R was revealed so personally its not news. Source of propulsion aside I for one am excited to see how the mission r will look like in 718 form